New Puppy.

Females usually go in heat for the first time roughly at the age of 5-6 months, so here is some time lines for you.

As Ajarn, mentioned, also in my opinion and as an owner of MANY dogs, i recommend letting her have at least 1 season. I do not know the exact science and can not be bothered to argue with wanna be experts with google links and all the rest, but found from experience, when you let them have 1 season, they become a female, they seem smarter and more intune. If you desex before, they seem to be confused and do many things like boys.

Season lasts for 3 weeks, First week its heavy bleeding and she will not let any male touch her. But males will smell her from miles away. Second week she is open to meet a male, but very choosy, last week is when she turns into a total slut and will rape boys, not other way around.

PS, Enjoy destroyed house, shoes and everything else that comes with puppyhood ????

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, JWRC said:

6 months old

Yep, that's about right.

While we on holiday in the UK last year a bitch moved under our house with her 4 newborn pups.

Softy wife took pity on them and although 1 died we now have 2 bitches and 2 males. This being so I asked the local vet about best time to have the snip and cut. Got mum done immediately to head off another litter and the young bitch was done at about 6 months..

In the nick of time according to the vet.

Agree with Oxx that there is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the idea that a female dog should not be spayed before her first heat cycle. There is also no scientific evidence that having a heat cycle would change the dogs behavior, and anecdotal evidence is not reliable and goes both ways. BestB and Arjen have their opinions, I on the other hand have 11 female dogs (all rescues), and see no difference in the behavior between those that were spayed before and after having been in heat.

There is, however, clear evidence that spaying your dog have her first heat cycle have medical benefits. The operation is less invasive for a dog that hasn't been in heat, and the younger the dog the quicker they heal. And more importantly, spaying your dog before her first heat cycle all but eliminates the risk of her later developing mammary gland cancer.

From The American College of Veterinary Surgeons:

The risk of a dog developing a mammary tumor is 0.5% if spayed before their first heat (approximately 6 months of age), 8% after their first heat, and 26% after their second heat.

• 4 weeks later...

Fully agree no reason to wait until first heat (and an obvious risk in doing so).

Thai Vets tend to want to wait until age 6 months but if the dog is healthy and reasonable weight you can start asking at around 4 1/2 months,

• Thanks 1