Ext Marriage - Income

I naievly went to immigration to extend my marriage extension today

Being British and no Embassy letters anymore, I took my Thai Bank statements for the last 12 months, showing monthly income well in excess of 45,000 transferred from overseas

. I thought this would be sufficient

Was told that this is not acceptable, and that the only way I can extend it is if I have 400k in Thai bannk, which I dont

Anyone offer any advice, or are there any options?

• Like 1

I would guess that is at Phuket immigration. The have decided on their own not to accept monthly transfers for an extension based upon marriage. If you have proof of the source of the income such as pension statement it might be accepted.

I did mine using transfers into my bank in August at the office here in Ubon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

Was told that this is not acceptable, and that the only way I can extend it is if I have 400k in Thai bannk, which I dont

Anyone offer any advice, or are there any options?

You could try and appeal. It is national policy to allow monthly income, and if you have 12 monthly transfers you’ve met the requirement.

Short term. You could get a 60 day extension of stay (no financials required) to buy more time while you sort the problem out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I would guess that is at Phuket immigration. The have decided on their own not to accept monthly transfers for an extension based upon marriage. If you have proof of the source of the income such as pension statement it might be accepted.

I did mine using transfers into my bank in August at the office here in Ubon.

Yep, Phuket immigration

They did say proof of Pension is acceptable, but its not a pension, other than that they said 400K in bank is only option

Is there any way around this, if it is only phuket immigration doing it?

2 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

You should still be able to provide proof of income with the correct documents. How did you transfer the money? Were the transfers made each and every month over the past year? Which Thai bank do you use and how does it record a foreign transfer? What Immigration Office are you applying at?

Yes, every month, same date, give or take a couple of days, Minimum 70k every month. Took Bank statements that the bank put their official stamp on. Bank is SCB

Shows as international transfer receipt.

As Ubon Joe correctly guesses, it is Phuket, so seems that are doing their own thing

They gave me a document that says this

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

Proof of financial status either:

Letter from Embassy/Consul Certifying over THB 40000 month. (Max 6 months old),
Supporting documents of the income may be requested by the immigration officer.
Copy bank book name page and last 2 months transactions.
NOTE: Income certificates from the UK, USA and Australia are not accepted anymore for the extension application.
OR
Signed and stamped bank letter AND Signed and stamped bank statement showing the money ( Minimum THB 400.000 ) for at least 2 months before application date. (Max 7 days old)
Copy updated Thai bank (saving account only) book name page and last 2 months transactions.
Please make sure that all papers have the same balance mentioned

OR
Work Permit with company and tax papers

12 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

They did say proof of Pension is acceptable, but its not a pension, other than that they said 400K in bank is only option

Suspect that may be in line with crackdown on illegal working (even if often not what is happening) - pension income would be accepted; or work income with a work permit.  But not non-pension income without a work permit.  

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

Yep, Phuket immigration

They did say proof of Pension is acceptable, but its not a pension, other than that they said 400K in bank is only option.

If you do not have the 400K in the bank, you could exit Thailand and apply in Savannakhet or Ho Ching Ming City, for a Multi-Entry Non Imm O Visa based on marriage which is valid for a full year.

For that Visa no financials are required, but you would have to do a border-hop every 90 days to keep the Visa alive, and when timed right you can squeeze 15 months out of the Visa and even extend it with 2 months.

When at the end of the 1 year Visa validity (or later), you managed to get 400.000 THB in the bank, you could then apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa abroad or at your local IO, which in the last month can then be extended for 1 year and you would be in the same situation as you are now (but with your extension approved).

Note: When you are interested in applying for such an ME Non Imm O Visa just PM me, and I will sent you an up-to-date version of all the practical info needed and requirements (thanks to TVF members who posted that in related threads). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If you do not have the 400K in the bank, you could exit Thailand and apply in Savannakhet or Ho Ching Ming City, for a Multi-Entry Non Imm O Visa based on marriage which is valid for a full year.

For that Visa no financials are required, but you would have to do a border-hop every 90 days to keep the Visa alive, and when timed right you can squeeze 15 months out of the Visa and even extend it with 2 months.

When at the end of the 1 year Visa validity (or later), you managed to get 400.000 THB in the bank, you could then apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa abroad or at your local IO, which in the last month can then be extended for 1 year and you would be in the same situation as you are now (but with your extension approved).

Note: When you are interested in applying for such an ME Non Imm O Visa just PM me, and I will sent you an up-to-date version of all the practical info needed and requirements (thanks to TVF members who posted that in related threads). 

There is also the one time 60 day extension option on any entry at immigration using TM7 for 1,900 baht.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is also the one time 60 day extension option on any entry at immigration using TM7 for 1,900 baht.  

I guess that is the likely first option. Visa expire in 6 weeks, buys me sometime

Immigration suggested I do that, then go get 3 month Non O, which she said I could further extend for another 60 days, all in would give me about 8 months before I have problems, but prefer a solution that requires less faffing about

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That could well be an option. I will likely extend current visa for another 60 days before I do anything else, but this seems best solution, so far

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Can I do out and in's with this (fly out in morning come back in evening)? Or Do I have to stay out of country a certain time?

2 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

There many things a pension can be if you look a the definition of it.

I think they only need proof of the source that can be from investments,  and interest earned.

This from the amendment to the police order.

image.png.17f80311c815749d5c52c03d04c30c7c.png

Tax payments are for those working here.

20 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

That could well be an option. I will likely extend current visa for another 60 days before I do anything else, but this seems best solution, so far

It depends on how quick you can manage to get the 400K on your bank-account.  If you can get it fairly quickly applying for a 60 days extension of your present Visa is most probably the best option.

Applying for a Multi-Entry Non Imm O Visa in Savannakhet or HCMC does not require any financials, but since it is a Multi-Entry Visa you will be 'stuck' with it for a full year (and apart from the application, you will have to do 3 border-runs during that 1 year before being able to switch back to a 90-day Non Imm O that can be extended at your local IO).  Note that those border-runs can be simple same-day exit/returns at any thai border.

>>> I did PM you just now the practicalities and requirements for that ME Non Imm O Visa.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You can extend on any entry - either 60 days without financials or one year with the 400k - you do not need to remain on 90 day stays for the term of the visa.

Thanks lopburi3, I was not aware of that possibility - good to know!

I just did my extension based on retirement in Phuket in August with zero issues. I did however have my Canadian Embassy letter confirming my monthly income.

Do the new rules in Phuket regarding cash in the bank versus monthly income only apply to marriage extensions?

Never know if the Canadian Embassy will cancel the provision of income letters.

4 minutes ago, PeterP7 said:

Actually according to this also from Phuket immigration the answer is no, income is fine for a marriage extension.

Please highlight the section which says monthly income from abroad is accepted for an extension based on marriage.

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect that may be in line with crackdown on illegal working (even if often not what is happening) - pension income would be accepted; or work income with a work permit.  But not non-pension income without a work permit.  

This is about an extension based on marriage, you don't need to be retired and have an income pension. This is just Phuket Immigrations making their own rules.

9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

This is about an extension based on marriage, you don't need to be retired and have an income pension. This is just Phuket Immigrations making their own rules.

I am aware it is for marriage - that is my point - there is a concerted effort to root out those suspected of using suspect marriage extensions for illegal stay/work.  In this case they seem to accept income if it can be proven as local work with work permit or foreign pension income - and normally older person - with proof of source - applicant did not provide any source proof.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

This is about an extension based on marriage, you don't need to be retired and have an income pension.

As I have written before if you look up the definition of pension it can mean more than an income from for being retired.

Not sure what the wording in Thai in the police order states that has been to translated to pension is. 

I posted this from the clause for extension based states in the amendment to the police order states.

The tax part is for those working here with a work permit but I have often wondered it they would accept declared income from abroad that was transferred into the country.

They can ask for proof of the source of your income but Phuket immigration said pension.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I am aware it is for marriage - that is my point - there is a concerted effort to root out those suspected of using suspect marriage extensions for illegal stay/work.  In this case they seem to accept income if it can be proven as local work with work permit or foreign pension income - and normally older person - with proof of source - applicant did not provide any source proof.

I understand your point, but my income is clearly shown as an International transfer receipt, so it is clearly not from illegal stay/work. 

21 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

I understand your point, but my income is clearly shown as an International transfer receipt, so it is clearly not from illegal stay/work. 

Perhaps you should try to get proof of the source of your income. That might satisfy them.

They are saying pension because is what they normally see when asking for proof the source.

Not sure why they are selecting extension based upon marriage so say only income letter are accepted.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As I have written before if you look up the definition of pension it can mean more than an income from for being retired.

Not sure what the wording in Thai in the police order states that has been to translated to pension is. 

I posted this from the clause for extension based states in the amendment to the police order states.

The tax part is for those working here with a work permit but I have often wondered it they would accept declared income from abroad that was transferred into the country.

They can ask for proof of the source of your income but Phuket immigration said pension.

Yes, I'm just saying pension is just one type of income. Phuket Immigration comes up with their own interpretation.