Thailand Wants More First-Time Visitors as They Spend More

webfact

The amount of hand wringing and moral outrage in here is as predictable as it is ridiculous.  The TAT announce a new drive to target first time visitors and it sends the forum into a spin with everyone feeding off each other's negativity - even to the point that one guy is selling up and leaving, apparently!!

Have a look at Visit Britain's high level marketing plan:  https://www.visitbritain.org/sites/default/files/vb-corporate/Documents-Library/documents/final_britain_level_tourism_high_level_marketing_plan_2017-18.pdf   It talks of "customers" not "tourists".  It talks of targeting first time visitors, of encouraging spending.  It talks of how it can compete with rival destinations, and "build demand for luxury product and experiences to motivate and convert incremental high yield travellers".  Yes, the UK is after the big spenders - they only care about your money!!  Any of the UK based posters now going to sell up and move to France in a hissy fit of moral outrage?  Oh wait, France also encourages high net worth visitors because they spend more.  Right, I'm moving to New Zealand!!  What?  Oh.  "Capturing greater value from the lucrative Premium sector is an important component of Tourism New Zealand's strategy to grow the number of high-value visitors to New Zealand".   https://www.tourismnewzealand.com/markets-stats/sectors/premium/

Please tell me of any country that encourages tourism that wants them there not for their money, but because they just want people to be happy.   Every single tourist destination wants tourists / customers there to spend their money, and they target those who will spend more, and the spend millions on marketing and advertising to get them to come and open their wallets - and they say it openly!  Thailand dares to say something similar and everyone comes out with paranoid, chip-on-their-shoulder, negative nonsense.  People really need to get over themselves and their hangups.  

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Hahaha this reminds me of my situation here in a small village in Isaan.  I'm told I am disliked by most of the locals here because I have been here too long and therefore quite knowledgeable of the tricks/scams etc the Thai wives pull on their farang husbands.

This horrifies me because its an indication that most of the villages support/condone such  thievery!

Not just support/condone. In many cases it is something they rely on. I've found it a good policy never, ever to assist with buying cars or m/cycles, even for the missus kids from a previous marriage (a no-hoper Thai). Expats in TL might as well have their forehead tattoo'd with 'Meal-ticket' or 'ATM'. And if you're wide-awake to and don't fall for their machinations, then the dislike referred to by ThaiFelix kicks in. To my way of thinking one would need to be a simpleton with rose-coloured glasses not to be aware of this.

It's a great (3rd world) country just brimming with wonderful people who assume foreigners are no more intelligent than they are. As was said by one Thai notable some years ago: "Take everything from foreigners; give nothing back". The very definition of Thai commerce. They've learned very little since then.

So TAT do it again, miss the whole thing. Everyone who have been in bussinies knows that it is escential to build up a steady  group of loyal customers and that of two reasons. They spread the word to newcomers and if newcomers fail to come you still can be in bussinies because you have the loyal group. The other reasoning from TAT, "First time visitors spend more", is only a half thought. The truth is that those who come back spends more as they also once was newcomers and every visit after that will make that the returning visitor, in total, spend more than a newcomer. Think and think right, that is my advice to TAT.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

he state agency’s goal is to increase first-time visitors to more than 10 million in 2020

Dream on.  Why would you be attracted to a country with a military junta in charge; the 2nd worst road statistics; a corrupt police force; a corrupt civil service; packs of roaming wild dogs spreading disease; cancerous air?

Answers on a postcard to Prayuth C/O TAT.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So the TAT wants more tourists and that's enough to make you leave? Well done TAT! And bye bye. Bet you're still here in a year's time whinging and moaning about how much you hate it. 

Reading isn't your strongest point you proved again...read it again and use your spectacles this time mate.

20 hours ago, Issanman said:

The repeat visitors have already learned a bit about keeping some of their money from the scams and overpricing.

So it only makes sense that the first-timers would spend more.

First timers  don't know the items their is a fare price of not riding in a tuk tuk is typical I'm asked 300B from Thon Buri railway station to I go Kho San Rd .metered taxi 60 Baht.

So they want more first time visitors cos they spend more do they, presuming they want repeat visitors less. Then they say the first time visitors will become repeat visitors....the ones they seem not to want. I guess they didn't really think that one through....once again.

I think the real problem Thailand has isn't the scams, the xenophobia, the strong baht etc etc...its that they're just really really DUMB.

Sorry, The temple is closed, I will take you anywhere you want for 100bht lol  thank you honest Took Took Man.

You scratch my Jet Ski!! That's 1000bht 

Don't worry, this boat can hold 10,000 chines students.  It's safe 

I used to be a man, I thought you knew lol 

This is only a few of the scams in the land of smiles, 1st time visitors are going to love it. What's the exchange rate for  Australia and England? ???? ;( 

20 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

First time visitors do not know all the tricks yet that the Thai pull on them yet.  Double charge them with falang prices, and the second trip they will never get in a tuk tuk again..

In all scams the extra money gos In to their pocket. Topical a taxi which won't switch on the meter. It's called corruption.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

The amount of hand wringing and moral outrage in here is as predictable as it is ridiculous.  The TAT announce a new drive to target first time visitors and it sends the forum into a spin with everyone feeding off each other's negativity - even to the point that one guy is selling up and leaving, apparently!!

Have a look at Visit Britain's high level marketing plan:  https://www.visitbritain.org/sites/default/files/vb-corporate/Documents-Library/documents/final_britain_level_tourism_high_level_marketing_plan_2017-18.pdf   It talks of "customers" not "tourists".  It talks of targeting first time visitors, of encouraging spending.  It talks of how it can compete with rival destinations, and "build demand for luxury product and experiences to motivate and convert incremental high yield travellers".  Yes, the UK is after the big spenders - they only care about your money!!  Any of the UK based posters now going to sell up and move to France in a hissy fit of moral outrage?  Oh wait, France also encourages high net worth visitors because they spend more.  Right, I'm moving to New Zealand!!  What?  Oh.  "Capturing greater value from the lucrative Premium sector is an important component of Tourism New Zealand's strategy to grow the number of high-value visitors to New Zealand".   https://www.tourismnewzealand.com/markets-stats/sectors/premium/

Please tell me of any country that encourages tourism that wants them there not for their money, but because they just want people to be happy.   Every single tourist destination wants tourists / customers there to spend their money, and they target those who will spend more, and the spend millions on marketing and advertising to get them to come and open their wallets - and they say it openly!  Thailand dares to say something similar and everyone comes out with paranoid, chip-on-their-shoulder, negative nonsense.  People really need to get over themselves and their hangups.  

Listen buddy. You HAVE to be rich already to visit the UK for even a weekend. What does 2 nights average hotel , 2 lunches , 2 dinners, entrance to 2 museums and a taxi ride or two set you back in London?  I won’t read the link but the UK is looking for quite a different first timer or repeat “ customer “ than Thailand is, if you don’t understand that then you have become Thai apologist #1. 

The people with money who come to Thailand hardly ever return. Why?

Inane luxury taxes, and really dumb duties on fine wine.

Five star pricing the same as anywhere else in the world, without the expertise or english skills.

A racist immigration.

A nasty administration, completely lacking in skill, vision or competence.

Scams.

No traffic or public safety.

Inept and indifferent policing. Local police franchises that attempt to extract hard earned cash from tourists.

Horrendous air quality, and environmental degradation.

Traffic snarls, due to over development.

Some of us still love it here, but it is not the place it once was, and the TAT has no perspective on that. Plus, with the inflated baht, and higher prices across the board, it is too expensive for alot of tourists, and is not the value it once was. When you add in the fact that most of the neighbors are smarter, more visionary, and are trying harder, you have a formula for utter disaster for the Thai tourism industry. It is only going to get far, far worse for them. The Thai people are in for a world of hurt, unfortunately. 

25 minutes ago, Thian said:

Reading isn't your strongest point you proved again...read it again and use your spectacles this time mate.

I did read it and that is essentially it.   They are aiming to increase the number of first time visitors to also boost the overall figures:  "Next year’s targets include a record 41.8 million arrivals generating 2.22 trillion baht ($73 billion) in receipts, both up roughly 5% from 2019.".

Have you left yet?

My main gripe is the air in Chiang Mai during the 4 months of burning season. How can they possibly expect to attract first time tourists when the unfortunate ones that arrive during that time are poisoned and warn everyone they know to stay the hell away.

2020 visitor numbers will be interesting after the complete debacle that was 2019. Even Thais wearing gas masks. Place looked like some dystopian movie when exiting the airport. 

Still love the place, just very unfortunate that they're so short sighted. Think of the children.

4 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Do you think Pattaya water doesn’t circulate Koh Larn? I mean it’s only 7.5 k away.

Not just Pattaya water. Laem Chabang water. Si Racha water. Pakong, Chaophraya river waters. In fact, all sewers empty eventually into the Gulf.

Not to mention effluents from shipping at KhoSiChang - bilge water, ballast, and oil.

The water in my toilet is cleaner than any in the gulf north of Sattahip/Hua Hin

There are two aspects to this repost:

1. As already stated, 1st timers spend more, cos unknowingly ripped off!

2. How about start looking after Long term stayers, i.e. years, who contribute to economy.... day in, day out, month after month & year after year..

Receive no fair treatment, just abuse & more & more Bureaucratic processes that contribute NOTHING to fostering good relations between long term stayers & Thai Gov't!! 

PM Gen Prayut & Gov't needs to re-think it's strategies for long term stayers!! 

It speaks volumes that 99% of replies are about new visitors being more open to scams. What I find just as disconcerting is the lack of understanding that (in any industry) it costs considerably more to attract new customers than to retain existing/repeat customers...

Once again, proof of commercial incompetence/niaivity and the fact that Thai's are taught/allowed to focus only on income/revenues rather than the overall/sustainable profitability of customers. All that glitters is not gold...

Long long time ago , someone who visited thailand got good valeu for their money and friendly people and everything was much cheaper . So everybody that came once went home told their friends and their friends came with them the next time they came . So a lot of mouth to mouth advertisement . Now everybody who's visiting or are here for a long time already is talking about overpricing  , strong baht , dirty beaches , and stupid junta with their strict visa rules . So say goodbye to your firsttimers . First take care of all the tourists or expats already here and then the firsttimers will follow . Make it more interesting for firsttimers to come, and that starts with people already here not someone who came ones and never wants to come back . That's my opinion. Mouth to mouth advertisement and ofcourse the internet is the best adveetisement there is .

A More sustainable visitors plan would be to focus on a large Contented expat base population,  then get tourists  enthusiast enough to revisit for their next vacation and all of this positivity will bring in the new first timers !

Now u have unhappy and leaving expats and no returning tourists after their first vacation. That is an wrong approach for attracting first timers !!

“First-timers spend 10% to 20% more than repeat tourists and at the same time, we can build a new customer base".

I wonder how long the Thai authorities think these first timers will take to realise how bad their visa issues are when, and if, they start wanting to make return visits?

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Listen buddy. You HAVE to be rich already to visit the UK for even a weekend. What does 2 nights average hotel , 2 lunches , 2 dinners, entrance to 2 museums and a taxi ride or two set you back in London?  I won’t read the link but the UK is looking for quite a different first timer or repeat “ customer “ than Thailand is, if you don’t understand that then you have become Thai apologist #1. 

Pointing out that every single tourism body in the world seeks to maximise spending - it is the single and only goal - makes me a Thai apologist?  And I'm not your buddy.

Archived