more knowledge needed

agrow

looking at buying a small truck,owner has papers of when he bought it (owner is Thai) BUT NO BOOK .i know that may mean it is under finance or private loan ( MAFIA ),  also i think it is not taxed as no plates r on it, i know i will have to pay back taxers to use it, what i want to know is there  any way to find out if vehicle is encumbered ?

45 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

under no circumstances buy a vehicle without a book. that is all you need to know.

probably y its 150,000 cheaper than the next 1 .will give it a miss thanks NCC1701A,  i thought as much. ps truck has plates and what he calls trading papers.

Edited by agrow
  • Like 1

If the truck was purchased on finance, the financier would be holding the registration and they would need to be involved in any sale of their vehicle. That's not uncommon and there's no reason to shy away because of it.

The vehicle not having plates or (assumed) current Tabien displayed is an issue though. Basically this indicates an unsatisfactory level regarding care of the vehicle. Resulting in back dues of insurance and registration and a very low efficacy of periodic maintenance.

Mostly your options depend on your budget.

Try asking at dealerships. Some marques have warrantied previously owned vehicles or can put you in touch with the agent that takes their part exchanges. They can also give you the service history of a vehicle from their archives.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Would you buy a property without the deeds. ? Answer should be no. Same with a vehicle. Could be stolen, a cut and shut or a written off vehicle. Presumably the price is the attraction. I wouldn’t do it but up to you.

Plus selling it on would be near impossible...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alacrity said:

If the truck was purchased on finance, the financier would be holding the registration and they would need to be involved in any sale of their vehicle. That's not uncommon and there's no reason to shy away because of it.

The vehicle not having plates or (assumed) current Tabien displayed is an issue though. Basically this indicates an unsatisfactory level regarding care of the vehicle. Resulting in back dues of insurance and registration and a very low efficacy of periodic maintenance.

Mostly your options depend on your budget.

Try asking at dealerships. Some marques have warrantied previously owned vehicles or can put you in touch with the agent that takes their part exchanges. They can also give you the service history of a vehicle from their archives.

no back dues on insurance , only the tax for back dues and insurance for the current year

On 12/19/2019 at 9:56 AM, VYCM said:

The value of the vehicle is the book.

The value of anything is what someone will pay. If the truck was purchased on finance the true owner is traceable.

The book is not related to the quality of, or value of the truck. Delinquent payments and level of maintenance do reflect on an acceptable purchase price though. It could be a potential steal for an informed person.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:22 PM, alacrity said:

The value of anything is what someone will pay. If the truck was purchased on finance the true owner is traceable.

The book is not related to the quality of, or value of the truck. Delinquent payments and level of maintenance do reflect on an acceptable purchase price though. It could be a potential steal for an informed person.

If the books whereabouts is unknown you cannot Tax or Register the vehicle.

You cannot drive it on public roads.

The vehicle is useless for anyone that's going to drive it on our roads, it worthless unless you want to enter it in a smash up derby or rally/race it on the track.