Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

8 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

250k USD is hardly wealthy. In fact the average home, average mind you. Runs about 200k.

Hopefully at the end of ones life you have 1500usd pm until 92yo. About 18k per year. Maybe 15k plus interest, dividend.

So, about 550k USD. If you don't have that I would highly advise returning home and hunkering down.

Why would you advise that much. I'd like to have 550 million baht!

Bear in mind Americans tend to be appreciably more wealthy than the rest of us. A friend of mine in Pattaya survives on fish head gruel and rice. You've never had to eat that.

And what is 550K USD in Thai Baht so those of us who are not Americans know what you are talking about. All nationalities read this forum not just people from the US.

If you do the conversion to start with it saves the rest of us having to do it, that's if we want to know what you are talking about. We all know what a million baht is in our currencies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

VISA/Extension is just too much effort in Thailand.

I can stay in Cambodia for $300/year or Philippines on continuous extensions for 3 years, while having to show no finances/savings/insurance, or queue in any immigration offices at all, or anyone care where I am (or even if I'm illegally working).

Or in the Philippines for $1000 if a military veteran or over 50 or no vet $10,000 in the bank (refundable) plus sum up front costs of about $1,600. and you are done for life.  There are annual fees of either $10 or $360, both of which is approximately what the costs are for the required frequent extensions for the 3 year route plus that requires an exit reenter at 3 years.  There are other benefits to the SRRV.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Its not the same as four years ago...your money is tied up an extra three months, and then half for the rest of the year...plus you have to return three months after to show proof of funds. It may be easy for some but other people live a days journey to and from their immigration office...combine this with 90 day reports, re entry permits, TM 30s and LOR...you may as well rake a tent and camp in their car park as visiting so frequently

Sure, but you can thank the fake it till you make it crowd for that. The same ones who faked their income affidavit. The same ones with dodgy agents.

Everyone had lent money they don't really had just to get a visa, they got tired of it and now you actually have to keep it there. Or well you don't if your embassy still offers the income letter, like most do. But those embassy also checked the income stuff and not just signed a random statement.

Now everyone honest is suffering, like always, but it's not a one sided thing, the expat community exploited it till they had to do it.

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I have been here on retirement visa extension since 2005.  Prior to the cessation of proof of income from the US consulate, I paid $50.00 USD for said letter.  Yes, during the rest of the time until this year, that is exactly what I did.  Now using the monthly income method, I don't have to pay that $50.00USD.  I used the yearly income letter from the US govt stating what my retirement income is each year, plus they have a pie chart showing the monthly amounts forwarded to my bank in the US.  Also added to a little frustration was the enactment of a new US Justice Dept law concerning intl bank information sharing on US overseas ex-pats attempting to thwart money laundering or escaping US income taxes each year. Many nations' (total of 54 I think including US and Thailand) banks are cancelling accts of expats without a permanent US address.  I however thru this forum learned of a bank which would give me an account which I then transfer funds to Bangkok Bank so that is over and done with.  This is now $10.00 USD cheaper than my old bank (BOA).  When I did my extension this year (MAY 2019) it therefore cost my a lot less than before the changes last Dec.  In addition, previously I had to get to IMM at zero dark thirty and wait several hours before getting the extension signed etc.  This year a total of 30 mins (chiangmai) from queue ticket until finished and passport signed until next May/June timeframe.  I understand some people though have had many problems with the changes.  Some due to strength of baht, some with some with OA needing ins, some just don't have the funds.  I think that by following the rules since I began that makes it seem fairly simple and better than before to me.  To those though that can't abide by the rules I wish you luck in the future whatever you do or whereever you go!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on Thaivisaforum!

You are so nice

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Why would you advise that much. I'd like to have 550 million baht!

Bear in mind Americans tend to be appreciably more wealthy than the rest of us. A friend of mine in Pattaya survives on fish head gruel and rice. You've never had to eat that.

And what is 550K USD in Thai Baht so those of us who are not Americans know what you are talking about. All nationalities read this forum not just people from the US.

If you do the conversion to start with it saves the rest of us having to do it, that's if we want to know what you are talking about. We all know what a million baht is in our currencies.

This was specifically directed at someone who posted stating that 250k USD was pretty much untouchable *wealth*.

As a roundabout figure which obviously you don't have given the comments it's imo the bottom end of what life costs. Granted I get by on about 35k including domestic holidays. My wife pays her part outside main expenses.

As for being able to calculate it all. Not much of an international expatriate if you can't calculate half dozen currencies roughly in your head. I mean I'm just a stoopid murkan and can do nearly ten.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1