Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

When I did my first retirement visa I had to show that I had B800K in the bank on the morning of the application. First stop was bank obtain letter then down to immigration and do the visa. If I had wanted I could then have returned to bank and had my money out. None of this now, self inflicted wound imposed by Frangs who  wanted to cheat the system.

Immigration learned that some folks had no money and where borrowing, probably having some police officer reading Thai Visa, so slowly over a period of years the system tightened up to first 3 months before and the now 2 months before and 3 months after and B400K for rest of year.

Like to think that all the folk who caused our present situation are now gone for if still here they will think up a new scam and those of who who remain will have some new regulation inflicted on us.

john

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

It's not a lot of effort to make really if you are addressing an international audience.

But I wasn't. I was replying to a comment in which the poster mentioned USD. Specially, 250k USD.

You missed that and felt a need to chide me for it regardless.

I'm  another one selling up and getting ready to bail out. If 2019 is any indication of where this is headed then really the only sensible thing to do. First came to Thailand in 86 have lived here of and on since. The good old days, they certainly where....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

But I wasn't. I was replying to a comment in which the poster mentioned USD. Specially, 250k USD.

You missed that and felt a need to chide me for it regardless.

I was not chiding you I was simply curious as to what you had to say on the matter. However if you want to just use USDs when discussing financial matters on an international form that is based in Thailand feel free to do so.

Others are free to quote prices etc in Oz$s, GGPs. NZ $s, Canadian $s and Euros etc but for the sake of convenience they generally tend to use TBs which are familiar to everyone and therefore easier and quicker to convert to their own native currency.

It just makes things easier all round. Out of interest what is $550K in Thai Baht?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

None of this now, self inflicted wound imposed by Frangs who  wanted to cheat the system.

Like to think that all the folk who caused our present situation are now gone for if still here they will think up a new scam and those of who who remain will have some new regulation inflicted on us.

Beg to disagree

Those particular Expats only ultilised an ambiguilty in the law set of excess

Best of luck to them

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I left Thailand in August, now very happily settled in Luang Prabang, north Laos (see the photo and arrow to the house I rent).  One year, multiple-entry business visa and work permit for my online teaching costs me about $600 a year.  No savings required, no 90 day reports, no TM30, no police or immigration visits, no medical insurance required, (but sensibly I have a $1M+ expat policy anyway).

I wasn't forced out of Thailand by lack of money.  I had a 5-year Elite visa and a 120,000 THB+ monthly income from my online teaching.  I moved because of the uncertainly about what stupid rule the Thai authorities would implement next to inconvenience me. ????

LuangPrabang-qth.jpg.142b89a8cefee8f416a92780a9990f8a.jpg

I totally get it about the stupid, arbitrary rules. I'm quite fed up myself. If I were not married with wife decent job as myself we'd be gone. I've always enjoyed Lao and lived decades prior in Cambodia. I've lived in Indonesia.

I think there are four groups

Men that are old, married and buried. Not going anywhere.

Guys that are fully invested in Thailand. Home, family, land, etc

New arrivals. The gloss has not come off. They've no comparison to old days. Just left jobs and accustomed to paperwork and trivial bs.

The chancers. Typical sex/affection addicts that find the siren's song of Thai women to easy and appealing to go elsewhere. Even other SEA countries pose challenges. Never so lucky with the ladies but in Thailand they're king of the jungle. GFE.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just a guest ion. Only the 3, US, England and Australia citizens were “faking” income for those affidavit letter?All other countries have no citizens falsifying?  Hmm, possibly but I find it difficult to believe that only these 3 countries had dishonest citizens. I had the income as I affirmed to in the US affidavit. And I support the embassies stating that they could not, in all honesty, guaranteeing the affidavit validity. Thailand has the sovereign right to make its own regulations but there is an affect and I am free to “find a way around the regulation” or to spend my retirement funds elsewhere.

No you couldn't just make <deleted> up in the german embassy, they check your german state pension like everyone else. How hard can it be for a government to check their own pensioners, right, it isn't. They just don't want to.

They also never guarenteed for any private pension, because obviously they can't check them.

If you want to tell me your own government can't check their citizens GOVERNMENT pensions then i call bs.

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

I have been here on retirement visa extension since 2005.  Prior to the cessation of proof of income from the US consulate, I paid $50.00 USD for said letter.  Yes, during the rest of the time until this year, that is exactly what I did.  Now using the monthly income method, I don't have to pay that $50.00USD.  I used the yearly income letter from the US govt stating what my retirement income is each year, plus they have a pie chart showing the monthly amounts forwarded to my bank in the US.  Also added to a little frustration was the enactment of a new US Justice Dept law concerning intl bank information sharing on US overseas ex-pats attempting to thwart money laundering or escaping US income taxes each year. Many nations' (total of 54 I think including US and Thailand) banks are cancelling accts of expats without a permanent US address.  I however thru this forum learned of a bank which would give me an account which I then transfer funds to Bangkok Bank so that is over and done with.  This is now $10.00 USD cheaper than my old bank (BOA).  When I did my extension this year (MAY 2019) it therefore cost my a lot less than before the changes last Dec.  In addition, previously I had to get to IMM at zero dark thirty and wait several hours before getting the extension signed etc.  This year a total of 30 mins (chiangmai) from queue ticket until finished and passport signed until next May/June timeframe.  I understand some people though have had many problems with the changes.  Some due to strength of baht, some with some with OA needing ins, some just don't have the funds.  I think that by following the rules since I began that makes it seem fairly simple and better than before to me.  To those though that can't abide by the rules I wish you luck in the future whatever you do or whereever you go!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on Thaivisaforum!

Thanks. And the same to you. Since retiring to Thailand as my only residence in retirement in 2011, the rules have been changed since I submitted my application to the Royal Thai a Embassy in Chicago. I still have the required 65K per month income as I had affirmed annually, like you. The ending by the US, England and Australia has had n effect on my showing I have the required income. However, the newly instituted requirement for medical insurance will mean I can no longer hold my Non IMM O-A Visa. I’ll not make the long explanation here but this has made it necessary for me (currently) to have to change my Visa next June if I am to be allowed to stay in Thailand in retirement

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2019 at 3:52 PM, FritsSikkink said:

I think they didn't have the means to get a proper visa for many years and now that there are stricter controls, they can't afford to live here anymore.

I don't believe that any expats who have lived here for a few years is leaving because they can't afford it.

If they are having problems buying booze, they can get it cheap in 7-11s.

They don't even need a bank account, there are plenty of agents to deal with their immigration needs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

If I were an immigration officer I would question that.

Thought I had seen the pound symbol, but perhaps it was baht. Ha! In either case, in far excess than the in patient, out patient required limits. It is an AXA policy.