Thai retailers to stop giving plastic bags from Jan 1

rooster59

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't agree with this at all, it will not work and there will be a spectacular backtrack within a matter of months.

Just watch and see.

I read your comment.... & then saw you avatar.  555555555

53 minutes ago, csmith said:

Isn't everything biodegradable .… isn't it a matter of 'how long'

p.s. Even humans are biodegradable ... ummm imagine if they were not ...

Dude! Not mummies!  ????

39 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Exactly! But if you have been using big c for all those years then you are bound to be a bit confused.

Just saying it’s would be better to post something at the entrance to warn people. 

There has been notices in Thai and English at the checkouts in Big C and Tesco Lotus for weeks. You just havn't been looking.

41 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Exactly! But if you have been using big c for all those years then you are bound to be a bit confused.

Just saying it’s would be better to post something at the entrance to warn people. 

If you can read Thai you would know they have those signs on checkouts in both big and express versions of atesco, tops, and big c near me.

Paper bags are already piling up in prep there too.

Hmmm ....... Although I agree that plastic is a real problem here & must cease asap, but what are the alternatives?? Government have not indicated to the general public what they are at all, so I guess it's the "up to you" syndrome again? Shopping is not a problem as I'm sure biodegradable bags will be on offer before long. Shops I've recently been to have cardboard boxes available .......... so it's obvious that these stores have taken the initiative & are aware that this law has not been thought through properly ............. well done to them. 

I think the main problem here is going to be the fast food on the street & the take home meals for the millions of workers who live in shared rooms, have limited cooking facilities & rely on this essential service. It will certainly create serious problems for them as buying a "hot & cheap ready meal" is paramount to their daily lives ............ & remember Thai culture .............. they need to eat as often as possible too! Perhaps everyone will begin carrying food containers to work as seen in China, so there will be thousands/millions of these littering the streets eventually, that's guaranteed.

It's not just here that this problem exists as this environmental disaster is worldwide. Thailand should be doing more to improve their infrastructure services, that goes without saying, especially the disposal of domestic waste. All these "landfills" dotted across the countryside are not the answer or the burning of rubbish, plus the dumping at sea it not acceptable. It must all be disposed of properly, but there's a cost, which may be not an option for years in Thailand ............ they need disposable sites here as in other countries for waste, so that it can be safely disposed of to minimize the damage to our environment. It's a huge task ............. I personally don't think Thailand is ready for it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chazar said:

this govt?

Is  that the next campaign?

They think it will attract plane loads of tourists with big arms 

Love the doing away with the plastics but there will be an issue if the retailers don’t have alternate bags to buy etc (Planet friendly ones)

Tescos expect you to stuff everything in your pockets with no help

Bit of a joke 

2 hours ago, z42 said:

Errr, people can be responsible and bring their own. People NEED to take responsibility and actually think ahead sometimes.

Not really that hard tbh

Got it in one.... if you go shopping take a few tote type bags.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Just get a few 'actors' to talk about it in the nightly soaps. Then everyone will know, even the dumbest ones. Especially the dumbest ones.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

We have had no plastic bag days in the supermarkets down our way and some independents don’t give bags down our way - while the idea should be applauded - no alternatives are provided. 

People have got to the till with their shopping only to find no bags, no way to carry it home in their bikes - it’s caused no end of confusion with security staff as people push loaded trolleys out of the exits.

its also a massive missed opportunity - I bought a few ikea bags from Lazada but no stores have supplies of reusable bags for sale. 

The usual Thai clusterflop 

My favorite local 7/11 now has cloth bags for sale near the checkout tills.

BUT they're a size that you could only fit 2 bottles of milk or 3 beer cans in!

Not much thought put into that plan.

1 minute ago, orchidfan said:

I think you'll find that they have larger ones also.  The 7/11's here just have the small one hung behind the checkout with the logo 'Choose Me' and a green leaf but they showed me that they have larger ones available too.

2 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

You'll have to cut down on the milk then!   LOL

• Haha 1

I just hope these retailers come up with a plan to provide shoppers with a good alternative ! As in French supermarkets etc, non plastic  bags  for fruit / veg , free. ( certainly the price of them is included in the sell price. ) , Then you can buy shopping bags for a 1€.50. They are good sturdy ones which hold a lot. Good value. Other shops use paper or non plastic bags. 

Tesco Pattaya, I didn’t know they’d already brought in the rule ! So I didn’t have bags with me. They had nothing ! ( a few papier bags not very good for heavier food/ drinks) So there I was stuck with a full caddy . I argued a bit,, not much good, no one speaks English.I Would happily  paid for  bags. So after holding up the place for 5 minutes they found me a roll of plastic Tesco’s. This is typical of Thai organisations. PS , have bought bags in advance from Central and Foodland Terminal 21 !!!!