Is your Air Purifier really doing it's job ?

4MyEgo

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

I have Xaiomi S2 in the lounge...  this morning I turned it on it read 58... an hour later it read 6... Paid about 4,000 baht for it... 

I have this too, currently on offer at a little over 3000 baht, I paid nearly 4k at the time but its really good and will get another for the bedroom.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-2s-1-i291010301-s835570040.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.8.2c4b1080b2guss&search=1

• Thanks 2

I may have forgotten to mention the other main reasons that I went for the IQAir Health Pro 250 is that the filters don't need replacing that often, i.e. based on running the system 3 to 10 hours a day refer to below:

• PreMax™ Coarse Particle Filter: 18 months
  • HyperHEPA Particle Filter: ~4 years
  • V5-Cell™ Gas & Odor Filter: ~2 years

That and it covers a huge area when on maximum, i.e. 440m3 or about 140 square metres and our place is about double that with the living areas taking up around 70 square metres and our section where we all sleep is 112 square metres, so if we wanted to do all the rooms, the IQAir system does it all in one hit.

As the old saying goes, if you've got money, you can afford to burn it ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

We are using HITACHI EP-M70E Humidifying Air Purifier and feel it makes a difference. 

Nice choice and at around 20,000 baht per unit if memory serves me right, sounded like a good deal at the time, it was 2nd choice, only reason I didn't get it was because it only covered an area of 50 odd square metres, and I wanted to cover an area of 70 square metres (living area) and 112 square metres to cover all of the bedrooms, although I could have purchased three and would have been back to square one cost wise.

At the end of the day, depends on the area and how you want to use it/them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Above is a link to a review in the previous post, hope yours is not the same as that one.

I have the Xiaomi Mi air purifier 2S (don't know if this is the model you are referring to, however it seems to go okay in my apartment but having said that I still suffer from some sort of allergy about the same time every year?

Also I am running the Philips's AC 4014 air purifier in the bedroom area and the apartment is a sort of "open plan" design, so I thought I was getting the best of both worlds with these two air purifiers running – – perhaps I'm wrong??

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nice choice and at around 20,000 baht per unit if memory serves me right, sounded like a good deal at the time, it was 2nd choice, only reason I didn't get it was because it only covered an area of 50 odd square metres, and I wanted to cover an area of 70 square metres (living area) and 112 square metres to cover all of the bedrooms, although I could have purchased three and would have been back to square one cost wise.

At the end of the day, depends on the area and how you want to use it/them.

Our sleeping area is roughly 50 square meters so this unit works well for us.  The main living area is far too big to either air condition or filter so we restrict filtering to bedroom at night and TV/computer room during the day, as needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have the Xiaomi Mi air purifier 2S (don't know if this is the model you are referring to, however it seems to go okay in my apartment but having said that I still suffer from some sort of allergy about the same time every year?

Also I am running the Philips's AC 4014 air purifier in the bedroom area and the apartment is a sort of "open plan" design, so I thought I was getting the best of both worlds with these two air purifiers running – – perhaps I'm wrong??

It's always a tough one, as you can research for ever before buying a product, fortunately for me, I also had the opportunity to use a mates IQAir purifier albeit an earlier model back in the old country for a week and I noticed the difference in the air quality.

Trust is a big issue with me when spending big dollars as well, hence all the research, that said, I am currently sitting here typing away and looking at the reading on the SNDWAY PM2.5 DETECTOR which came today and also have the IQAir Health Pro 250 running on half speed (3) which covers the 48 square metre bedroom and it is showing a reading of 2ug/m3.

The above said, I am breathing better than when I got back from picking up the kids from school, it was showing a reading of 39ug/m3 which is still ok, but the lower the reading the better the quality of the air.

If you have a spare 1,400 baht, get yourself one for piece of mind and it pays to check on these guys who claim what they claim, I don't know if the products you have or anyone else have are good, but can certainly say my product, the IQAir is doing its job, why it doesn't have a PM2.5 reading on it is beyond me, but then again, I haven't used it much, or read the manuel, just turned it on from go, maybe it does have one, but the 1,400 baht spent is money well spent as far as I am concerned, can take the little device with me to, maybe next time we go on holidays I will load up the air purifier, although it's not small, but light.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-pm-25-detector-sw-825-3in1-sensor-pm25-i235439672-s361195325.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0K-ywNTL5gIVzA0rCh17og_iEAQYBCABEgLRFfD_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!296030489971!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-296030489971!c!296030489971!361195325!135285496!286179630377&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI0K-ywNTL5gIVzA0rCh17og_iEAQYBCABEgLRFfD_BwE:G:s

50 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I trust yours is not the same as the one in this review ?

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/xiaomi-auto-mode-leaves-air-unsafe-86-hours/

Read to the end of your article and he revised his major problem (The sutomode) can easily be avoided by app settings to stop it going into sutomode and the unit works fine...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you have a spare 1,400 baht, get yourself one for piece of mind and it pays to check on these guys who claim what they claim,

Thanks 4MyEgo and I do have one of the SNDWAY meters and it seems to agree with the Xiaomi reading. So perhaps my allergy/whatever cannot be helped with an air purifier??

• Thanks 1

I have a Sharp, mid-range, which is supposed to be good for about 50 sqm. Green light goes to orange when the filter is blocking up. Change filters every year, to be on the safe side. No idea what the reduction in PM2.5 is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Thanks 4MyEgo and I do have one of the SNDWAY meters and it seems to agree with the Xiaomi reading. So perhaps my allergy/whatever cannot be helped with an air purifier??

I am the same as you, I think, but not sure, as I have a stent from a mild heart attack back in 2008 and I find that if smoke is around, I feel tight in the check, throat seems to swell, or it feels that way, like a thick layer has been pasted on it, example I walked into the kitchen with the device tonight to see what the reading would be out of interest when the wife was cooking, bang 150 and straight in the red, there is an extractor fan on the wall and a wall fan, doors were open at either end as was the window, the kitchen is not that big probably about 2.5 x 6 metres, with a low roof of probably 2.5 metres high sloping down, do you think she had the extractor fan and the fan going while cooking, nope, I walked in and nearly choked, my throat felt sore and my chest tight, I turned the extractor fan and wall fan on before I left quick smart.

I then checked the dining room, mid 80's was the reading as the kitchen is off of the dining room, so went and brought in the air purifier, within about 5-10 minutes on full speed (6) it dropped to around the mid 50's which is acceptable.

This is certainly a new area for me to look into, clean air, that is, although don't know what I am going to do about going to the local waterhole as some of the smokers there smoke like chimneys, probably best to avoid until they go back overseas in the 1st week of January and take their smokes with them.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

... it dropped to around the mid 50's which is acceptable ...

are we talking about AQI or µg/m3?

pm2.5 of 50 µg/m3 would not be acceptable for me. in our bedrooms

it has to be 7 µg/m3 or less, so at least for our night sleep we have

acceptable air quality ...

who.png.5157749cf03e24d322952f7a5fd26685.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

are we talking about AQI or µg/m3?

pm2.5 of 50 µg/m3 would not be acceptable for me. in our bedrooms

it has to be 7 µg/m3 or less, so at least for our night sleep we have

acceptable air quality ...

who.png.5157749cf03e24d322952f7a5fd26685.png

What I meant was it dropped from 80ug/m3 to 50ug/m3 within 5-10 minutes which was acceptable within that time for an area of 70 square metres.

Our bedroom got down to around 4 last night and I switched the IQAir purifier off and when I woke up mid 2's the SNDWAY was 30 and has been like that ever since, however this morning I went into one of the bathrooms and it was 50, and the kitchen 75, opened a window and left it outside for 15 seconds, as soon as I opened the window it went red and straight to 167.

When I went to wake up the boys and get a reading of their rooms, (boys are thick as bricks at 15 years of age), I keep telling them not to close their bedroom doors so the purifier can reach their rooms, the readings in their rooms was 80 and 90, I asked one if he window was open and he said yes, I started coughing immediately and closed his window, this coughing attack lasted for about 10 minutes with my throat very scratchy, I can't believe these guys, we have discussed windows remaining closed, me being the only one to open them when I feel the air is at a safe level, e.g. 10am, now to find a suitable punishment for him.

They say 0-35ug/m3 averaged out over 24 is a good reading, and 35-75ug/m3 to be acceptable, but I prefer the lower of the 2 readings naturally, and monitoring the house last night, it hovered around the 30ug/m3 without any purifier, suffice to say, I think I will be having it on when it reaches anything above 35ug/m3 and will have it on next to me when on my laptop which is most of the day in our room, which coincidentally is showing 43ug/m3 at 7.15am this morning, not the best, but as I am heading out, will have to turn it on when we get back. 

This is all starting to make sense to me now having this device which I can carry around to check what the air quality is like within the house, the only thing is the battery doesn't last too long, so will have to look at getting a powerpoint with a usb socket to instal a few around the house to tell us what the air quality is around the house.

No doubt the smoke doesn't agree with me, that's for sure, throat still scratchy, and a little tighter in the chest for now.

AQI Category Index 

Revised Breakpoints (µg/m3 , 24-hour average)

Good 0 - 50 0.0 - 12.0µg/m3

Moderate 51 - 100 > 12.1µg/m3 – 35.4µg/m3

Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups 101 – 150 > 35.5µg/m3 – 55.4µg/m3

Unhealthy 151 – 200 > 55.5µg/m3 – 150.4µg/m3

Very Unhealthy 201 – 300 > 150.5µg/m3 – 250.4µg/m3

Hazardous 301 – 400 > 250.5µg/m3 – 350.4µg/m3 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

Great overview and information.  My big question is what to do outside, I spend much of my time outside.  Will breathing bad air for several hours outdoors negate the positive effects of having "clean" air indoors?

I get mine at Lazada, be aware that some are not 100% originals, prices for the real ones started at around 750,--bht when i got mine 6 months ago. They have 3 different versions, colours. The green one is also filtering Formaldehyde. The blue one is the basis one, and the purple one filters, i think, odors. In addition, at Aliexpress you get Hepa rolls, who fit the filters, you can wrap around and prolong the life of the filter.

• Thanks 1

Out of curiosity guys  how are you measuring the pm2.5  ?  Is it the air coming out of the purifier or the air somewhere in the room  which contains some air from outside ?  When we were up in Chiang Rai last year there were no purifiers in the shops so we made do with a big box fan and a air con supacrete(?) filter taped on the back which rapidly took the pm2.5 down in the room according to a hand held monitor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

So while I understand your love for your own 60k air filter, which I am sure is as good as you say, you don't need to shame the product that many of the rest of us enjoy and have verified they actually work.

Thanks for your lengthy post and experiences, please accept my apologies if I came across as shaming others product/s, it wasn't meant to come across that way, hell, if one can find a cheaper product and it does the same, go for it. Me personally, I try to stay away from what some manufacturers state about their products, and sometimes paying more, along with the research to back it up is worth it, although I would of rather not paid 60k baht for the IQAir, but it does it's job for us and we are also happy with the product, the life of the filters, but not the replacement costs of them, but over the long run, if they do their job, you can't put a price on it. 

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

At the same time I wanted to thank you for opening this thread.

Your welcome, I might sound like a bit of a hypochondriac but I am a slow learner when it comes to things outside my field, that said, I definitely pay attention to smoke as it affects me, badly, cough, phlegm and tightness, although not that tight, but still enough for concern.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Will breathing bad air for several hours outdoors negate the positive effects of having "clean" air indoors?

They say that breathing in the PM2.5 particulate matter shortens one's life, guess we will get there, some sooner, others later, me personally, I'm taking my IQAir with me either way ????

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Great overview and information.  My big question is what to do outside, I spend much of my time outside.  Will breathing bad air for several hours outdoors negate the positive effects of having "clean" air indoors?

It's all cumulative, so the less you breathe of PM2.5 in any setting, the better for your health.

The answer is to use a good HEPA air purifier indoors, and use N95-class face masks such as those made by 3M when outside when the outdoor air quality is bad.

• Like 2