Driver's License Renewal

I have almost 50 years of traveling to and from Thailand and have used all their Visa's with the Retirement Visa for the past 9 or 10 years.  Been married for over 47 years.  I live is Chok Chai, about 30 kilometers south of Korat and use the Korat Immigration.

My 5 year Driver's license for auto and cycle runs out soon.  I stopped at the center in Chok Chai and was told I need paperwork from Immigration to verify my address and that I was in the country legally.   I thought my address was on the license and off course anyone can look at my Visa and the expiration date.

My wife and I go to Immigration and tell the young lady we were there for paperwork to renew my Driver's license.  She asked my wife for 500 Baht and told us to sit in the visitors section.  I felt something was not right since we were not given a number and you pay when service is rendered.   Of course, you need a picture taken, wife's ID card, inside my Passport and other stuff that is done across the street.

We come back to Immigration and I look at the counter and see signs for Long Term Stay, Short term Visa's and one sign had Other.  I thought this is why she asked us to to sit where we were.

I am impatient and started walking around and looked at the listing of fees and what they were for.  No where was there a fee showing 500 Baht and anything saying about a requirement for Driver's license.  I asked the young lady to point out for me where it was written I owed 500 Baht.  She said, "It is not listed anywhere."  I asked, "why not?"  Silence.   I asked another person and she told me to talk to the girl I already talked to.

I told my wife I am going to ask for a receipt before we leave.

Sit there for a hour and no one has been called to see the person under the "Other" sign.  I hear numbers called so I went back up front and said I don't have a number.  Told that I did not need one.

Another 20 minutes and another girl hands me my Passport and a 6 page handout to give the person in Chok Chai.

Now I asked for a receipt.  I am told that there is no receipt.  I said when I go to a Government office I do not leave without a receipt.  Again, "no receipt."

My wife is telling me to just drop it and let's get out of here.  Everyone could see she was trying to get me to leave.  Now I decide to get louder and use all the Thai words I can come up with.  People are telling me to "calm down."  I said I would "calm down" when I get a receipt.

One Officer asked me to give him my Passport.  No way was I giving anyone anything.  If they got their hands on my passport, I would really have a problem.   Then one guy suggested that I give him my Passport and the paperwork back and come back in two weeks and they would give my money back.

Now, I ask to see the big boss.  No one wants to get that person.  Now everyone knows there is a loud farang in the place.

They watch me writing down the person's name on the door.

I walk past a couple Immigration personnel and knock on the Boss's door, open it and a woman is there looking like she was ready to come out because of the noise.  I Waied her and told her I wanted a receipt for 500 Baht.  I asked why the service was not posted and how did I know I owed 500 Baht?

She said that she would write me a receipt and to just wait outside.  I told her in Thai, "I want the receipt now and not have to wait another hour for it."

She talked to my wife and there were plenty of witnesses that saw my wife trying to get me to leave.  My wife told her that she has been with me for 48 years and this is how he acts sometimes.

I go and sit down and I think she made a phone call to her boss.

She opens the door and calls us in and hands my wife 500 Baht and tells my wife we do not owe any taxes either.

I told her I did not want for free and to just show me where this service is listed and the fee is 500 Baht.  She just said to take the 500 Baht and keep the paperwork.

As we were walking out a two star Immigration officer was walking in.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he talked to the supervisor there.

Has anyone else encountered this when going to renew their Drivers license?   These now rules that are changing constantly now are getting on my nerves.  You can respond to my email   <contact by PM>.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed email address (forum rule)
  • Confused 1

From my understanding of this, a few big immigration offices have set up an "unnoficial" desk to handle the residence certificate specifically and they charge 500thb for each with a dedicated person on it.

They are not supposed to charge for this thats why they don't provide receipt and you got a refund.

Props to you for standing up to them like that ahah ????

Edited by freeman01

I copped the same thing in June when I renewed my 5 year licence, 500 baht and no receipt, it is a total rip off as it is supposed to be a free service. Yellow book should be good enough but no, they want the certificate, wouldnt mind betting it is a rip off set up between the 2 departments especially as you were given  the 500 baht  back when you made a scene, lets see what happens on your next renewal now

• Like 2

Damn - In all these years, I never considered my wife losing face on days like yesterday she didn't say anything.  Now you have me wondering.  lol   I know she does not like asking questions for me.  I tell her the reason is she doesn't want to look dumb by asking questions.

I'd be over the moon at paying just 500 Baht, official or not.

My local DL office insists on ONLY accepting a certificate of residence from an embassy, not immigration. Yellow book not accepted at all either. They keep the original too, no copy accepted.

So after new year its off to Bangkok for a 2000 Baht piece of paper at the UK embassy, 2 nights in a hotel and the cost of eating/drinking in what is now relatively speaking for me, very expensive.

All this just to dice with death on a daily basis lol, that's if the 2 minvans I need to get there, actually get there in one piece.

• Like 1

I am sorry this happened as I use the Korat Immigration office also.  When I received my Residency Certificate from Korat I thanked these kind people gladly paying the 500 Baht.  I really hope that when I go back they do not think that I am a crazy over-reacting farang.  I need these people to stay here and they deserve respect.

Thai bureaucrazy like a lottery.

Only for the first visit in 2011 I needed a res.cert. from immigration.

For three later visits never again. Yellow book OK.

Not accepting a res.cert. from immigration, a Thai government office?

That's outrageous.

Or what does a "/" mean in their published rules?

ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR WORK

Edited by KhunBENQ

13 hours ago, longball53098 said:

It has been reported that some DL offices do not accept the Yellow book. Such as the Pattaya DL office they only accept the letter from immigration. Need to check with the one in your area to be sure

If you cant use your yellow book and pink ID card at Pattaya just drive up the road to the Chonburi DL office. I've renewed my licence just using my yellow book and pink ID card. Don't need a residence certificate, the yellow book replaces that, and no need to take your passport, the pink ID card replaces that. 

It's exactly the same method a Thai National uses and you end up with your licence in exactly the same format/layout as Thai Nationals. The most obvious difference is that your Thai ID number replaces your passport number and all info is written in both Thai and English.

9 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

If you cant use your yellow book and pink ID card at Pattaya just drive up the road to the Chonburi DL office. I've renewed my licence just using my yellow book and pink ID card. Don't need a residence certificate, the yellow book replaces that, and no need to take your passport, the pink ID card replaces that. 

Or over to Rayong if that is closer, fortunately Land Transport are not as territorial as Immigration and will service you everywhere

I went to Bangkok LTO to get my 5 year license renewed since I had a letter from the US Embassy explaining why I had no DL to turn in and Pattaya refused to accept it.  Bangkok had me in and out in an hour 

On 12/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, ubonjoe said:

The unofficial fee for the certificate of residency has been discussed many times on this forum.

There is no official fee for it due to it not being a standard service assigned to immigration.

I've always payed 300 or 500 baht if I remember correctly. In Samui and Pattaya. And in Chiang Mai may be. Is it supposed to be free?

Edited by kartoshka

I had the same thing happen at Phuket Immigration. Female IO asked for 600 baht for proof of residence letter. She got the hump when I pointed out that there should be no charge for this and I was made to wait over lunch time. Nothing but a bunch of thieving, hypocritical criminals.

23 hours ago, Saltire said:

I'd be over the moon at paying just 500 Baht, official or not.

My local DL office insists on ONLY accepting a certificate of residence from an embassy, not immigration. Yellow book not accepted at all either. They keep the original too, no copy accepted.

So after new year its off to Bangkok for a 2000 Baht piece of paper at the UK embassy, 2 nights in a hotel and the cost of eating/drinking in what is now relatively speaking for me, very expensive.

All this just to dice with death on a daily basis lol, that's if the 2 minvans I need to get there, actually get there in one piece.

That was my first thought. My residency affidavit from the US Consulate costs 1500 baht. 500 is a bargain. Also, making a scene is not cool . . . and is not going to get you anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

I had the same thing happen at Phuket Immigration. Female IO asked for 600 baht for proof of residence letter. She got the hump when I pointed out that there should be no charge for this and I was made to wait over lunch time. Nothing but a bunch of thieving, hypocritical criminals.

Did you get it the same day eventually?

3 hours ago, drjden said:

I have never had any problems nor have I been asked to pay/donate for the certificate of residency at the Surin immigration office in Kap Choeng. Usually in/out in 15-20 minutes.

One of the  last uncorrupted immigration offices in Thailand.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:01 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Sakon Nakhon Immigration charged me 1000 bht for my residence letters.

Did you know it is free? Did you say anything?

It's because so many people pay for this  , without complaining, that they charge for it.

I wish more were like the original poster, then they would stop.