Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

webfact

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

There is an expats club in Pattaya but most of us on this forum would sooner argue and bicker among ourselves.

There are 2... and one I know supplies a list of help telephone numbers.

Now excuse me, someone just called an 'Extension' a 'Visa' .????

9 hours ago, yogi100 said:

There is an expats club in Pattaya but most of us on this forum would sooner argue and bicker among ourselves.

But that was a fine gesture you made and sensible suggestion you put forward. You can bet this topic has put the heebie jeebies up a lot of ex pats in Thailand.

I had forgotten the Expat Club. Perhaps it could organize a committee or division of volunteers to help on situations like this. It needs a lot more than just a list of phone numbers.

Come on guys, get moving and organize something. One of these days it could be you in that wheelchair.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:47 AM, colinneil said:

ISNT IT PATHETIC, that after Pattaya plod were shamed on social media, they are suddenly going out of their way to help the man.

Shame on you sad individuals, ohh look at me helping the poor old man.

Just stop this <deleted>, they might well be concerned for him, give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:37 AM, darksidedog said:

To really understand what was going on here, a lot more information would be helpful. I suspect the cops have decided to "help" out of being shamed rather than from a sense of pity. Regardless, if the fella gets home without having to go through the ignominy of IDC then God speed to him. I just hope he has someone waiting for him when he gets there.

There will be , he is going to England !

On 12/27/2019 at 3:51 PM, Tchooptip said:

Right! And some of the older ones will end up with a problem regarding this compulsory insurance.

Yes, i am 84 and cannot afford the insurance even if i could get it, anyhow i have another 10 months to think about it, then my O-A is finished 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mark mark said:

....  Well I think to call him "Pitiful" is really using the wrong words ! ... Like he is about 80 ! ... !!! ... And this is what happens to you when you get to 80 ! ... IF you are lucky enough to make it that far !!! ...

...  Like as my Old Uncle said to me once ... In a Pokie Pub back in Australia, ... where we were surrounded by Old men like this, and Old ladies with Blue rinse Hair, .... "Look around Mark" He said , .... "Looks Funny doesn't it" ... "But I will tell you what it Really is all about" .... and he leaned a bit close Closer ! and said ...  ... "They are the One's That Made it" !!! .... ( Or he might have even said ... "WE are the ones that Made it" !!! quite possibly ) ... At that stage any way. ...

"This is what happens when you get to 80"  Bloody rubbish, i am 84 and nothing like him but then i was in the Royal Navy aged 15 and they taught me how to look after myself in more ways than one. I wash and iron my shirts, cook my own tucker and clean my own bungalow, so please think again!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mark mark said:

At Great risk of getting Kicked in the Teeth ! ....  I do have to say, that From what I have seen,, over the last 35 Years or so, ... That the Thais, DO look after their Old People pretty well you know, ...  and well ? Cops are Cops ! ... They have to Do, ... COPS Business, .... and answer to their peers, and superiors also, so do not blame them either !!! 

...  It is Illegal not to look after you Old people in Thailand any way I think ? ...  Like I am pretty sure that there is a Law, that says that if the Young Family members, have Money, but they do not give some / Look after their old People, the Old people can take them to Caught, and sue them for it ! ??? 

.... Though of course in Practice this probably very rarely happens .... 

Mark ole mate ! you do ramble on, sounds as if you are well over 80 !   lololol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, dallen52 said:

The lady who came, thai and from a bar.

She spoke good English. 

Knew him.

Knew his situation. 

She said that he cannot keep staying with friends. 

And yes it was said that his visa/extension was out.

And the "friend" had dropped him at the police station that morning, saying that they would help him. 

The police...

If I had not been sat waiting I would not have chatted to him.

The police were really good and concerned. 

Especially the police lady in the photo. 

He was happy to be put on a plane he said.

I think he knew that his run was over in the Land of Smiles. 

They were contacting the embassy and working on keeping him out of the Bangkok detention facility. 

I was impressed....

Did they find out who had access to his pension money or ATM card ?

8 hours ago, No1 said:

Every physician and most of us normal persons would accept that alcoholism is an illness. What makes it so difficult for you?

People who smoke weed every day don't get stoned anymore as their body gets used to it.  I have seen guys smoking weed all day long just like other people cigarettes and they kept up working in a very normal office job without any of their colleagues taking note of it.

Many people do that with booze also.????????

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Agree with your assumptions, and that something is clearly missing in the story.

Also, who is paying for the repatriation; the British embassy? And how can he travel back; did he have his passport with him? (If so, why was he, initially, just labelled 'a western man', if they knew his nationality.)

Strange, that all this information is missing in the news.

Read the posts again Dallen52 clearely says that he had a bag with him containing his passport and other ID. Everybody but you knows that he is English ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Read the posts again Dallen52 clearely says that he had a bag with him containing his passport and other ID. Everybody but you knows that he is English ?

British? Do we know what part of the country he comes from?

I don't think the British media have this story yet, I just Googled it.

Edited by Andrew65

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I've sent you a PM regarding the arrangements for this wager.

There has been a misunderstanding , we are both betting on the same thing .

I aM saying that if a man goes to the council and states that he is homeless , then he will get no help at all .

I though that you were saying that if I went to southwark council and stated that I was homeless, then they would give me a council house, I was/am saying that they would give me nothing .

You see to be saying that as well 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I aM saying that if a man goes to the council and states that he is homeless , then he will get no help at all .

I though that you were saying that if I went to southwark council and stated that I was homeless, then they would give me a council house, I was/am saying that they would give me nothing .

Would that be true across the whole of the UK?

Although I realise that as white British males we're at the back of the queue for everything, but maybe not when it comes to paying taxes.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

15 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

He told Dallen 52 that he is English and had been in Thailand for 10 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That's that cleared up then. I thought you knew something I didn't. 

Myself and my fiance at the time and our two children applied for a council home on two London borough councils and to date have not heard so much as a whisper.

That was 41 years ago.

It will be interesting to hear what happens to this chap when he gets back to the UK. In view of his age and appearance they'll have to look after him. That's if the airline will take him unaccompanied. 

I hope he gets treated better than a fellow I know who when he was 68 went back to London for health reasons. He had a cancer scare.

He claimed he was homeless which he was so they put him in an overnight hostel from 9pm till the next morning when he had to walk the streets or sit in cafes, pubs and libraries. 

A hospital was too busy to examine him and told him to come back in 10 days. He gave up and came back to Pattaya. I recently heard he's still there but I dunno what happened with the cancer issue. I know he does not have the necessary funds to get it treated in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

That's that cleared up then. I thought you knew something I didn't. 

Myself and my fiance at the time and our two children applied for a council home on two London borough councils and to date have not heard so much as a whisper.

That was 41 years ago.

It will be interesting to hear what happens to this chap when he gets back to the UK. In view of his age and appearance they'll have to look after him. That's if the airline will take him unaccompanied. 

I hope he gets treated better than a fellow I know who when he was 68 went back to London for health reasons. He had a cancer scare.

He claimed he was homeless which he was so they put him in an overnight hostel from 9pm till the next morning when he had to walk the streets or sit in cafes, pubs and libraries. 

A hospital was too busy to examine him and told him to come back in 10 days. He gave up and came back to Pattaya. I recently heard he's still there but I dunno what happened with the cancer issue. I know he does not have the necessary funds to get it treated in Thailand.

I hope he's going to be ok. Shouldn't he be heading back to the UK permanently, rather than just for healthcare?

Sounds like he can't really afford to live in Thailand or the UK?

Edited by Andrew65

He's going to run into a big problem in the UK health wise. Others can elaborate if they want but the rules are currently being viciously applied over our own nationals out of the UK for long periods and then returning.

Never mind the evil Ian Duncan Smith is getting knighted in the interim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

That was 41 years ago.

A young lady with four children staying near me in emergency accommodation is something like 140 on the waiting list for a council place 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

Did they find out who had access to his pension money or ATM card ?

My friend John is a volunteer translator there.

Possible that he can update the info for us.

It's sad in many ways. 

But he is hopeful back to the UK for the new year...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

He's going to run into a big problem in the UK health wise. Others can elaborate if they want but the rules are currently being viciously applied over our own nationals out of the UK for long periods and then returning.

Never mind the evil Ian Duncan Smith is getting knighted in the interim

I returned to the UK in June last year. Returned to Worcester rather than my home town Hereford. My GP surgery in Hereford (hadn't been there for about 10 years) said I'd have to register with a GP in Worcester (gave them the details of my old surgery in Hereford). Found a surgery in Worcester, registered, no questions, no problems.

I also gave the Worcester surgery the details of Bumrungrad Hospital so they could get my records re: a heart condition.

Subsequently got my yearly prescription and a check-up on my elbow at the hospital.

Just sayin', for anyone thinking of doing the same thing.

Edited by Andrew65

Single males are at the very bottom of any type of care in the community. Minors, single females with children have priority and the lists are endless as all services are overloaded and underfunded.

They winging now about if Govt abolishes hospital car park fees for certain users how it may affect standards of care delivered...? How about charging all the forigen freeloaders and free health visitors that are getting free NHS access, maybe charge them or do not give any care if they are not eliegable then car parks most probably could be free for all... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

A young lady with four children staying near me in emergency accommodation is something like 140 on the waiting list for a council place 

If you're white British you're highly unlikely to be able to play the racism card when you don't get what you want??!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Yes, i am 84 and cannot afford the insurance even if i could get it, anyhow i have another 10 months to think about it, then my O-A is finished 

We are in the same cart, but  I have "only" 75 years lol

I have seven months left.  

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I hope he's going to be ok. Shouldn't he be heading back to the UK permanently, rather than just for healthcare?

Sounds like he can't really afford to live in Thailand or the UK?

He's got no home, nor relative and few friends left in the UK. He's English born and bred but that means nothing SE England especially London. He foolishly burned his bridges for the sake of a few years of fun and games in Pattaya.

The local housing departments are run by Africans and you know what that means especially if they are Nigerians.

He's happier in his room in Pattaya living on a shoe string where he at least knows a few people than having to sit in libraries all day and spend his nights in a London doss house among folk he can't even communicate with and who don't want him there anyway.