7 hurt as public bus rear-ends freight truck in Huay Yai

Rimmer

7 hurt as public bus rear-ends freight truck in Huay Yai

1369-N1-Dec-23-01-Rayong-bus-hits-10-whe

PATTAYA:--Seven people were hurt when their interprovincial bus rear-ended a 10-wheeled truck in Huay Yai.

Somchai Najathong, the 55-year-old driver of the Transport Co.-operated bus blamed the driver of the JRP Co. freight truck for the accident, not his tailgating. Somchai said truck driver Jumnan Kaewkanha, 44, braked suddenly.

Seven passengers suffered minor injuries in the Dec. 23 wreck on Highway 39 and were treated at a nearby hospital.

See more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/7-hurt-as-public-bus-rear-ends-freight-truck-in-huay-yai-282127

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-12-29--

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Just leave another space for the "IDIOT", you'll only lose 2 seconds before reaching your destination.

That reminds of a phrase in a UK road safety advert. "Only a fool breaks the two second rule."

It was encouraging drivers to leave enough space from the vehicle in front:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Somchai Najathong, the 55-year-old driver of the Transport Co.-operated bus blamed the driver of the JRP Co. freight truck for the accident, not his tailgating. Somchai said truck driver Jumnan Kaewkanha, 44, braked suddenly.

It seems that the fool has never heard of "safety distance".

• Like 1

"Seven passengers suffered minor injuries"

None if they had been wearing the seatbelts.

Spent over 5 minutes re-enabling (unwrapping from around the seat frame) the seatbelt on the bus I took on recent Laos trip.

Not unusual to have to do that.

Thai next to me probably thought me an idiot.

Imagine my pleasure when, 20 mins after departure, bus was stopped by seatbelt check team (possibility of being fined 5000baht for not wearing one).

Imagine my lack of surprise when, despite the prominently displayed fine notice, nobody was.

Don't get me started about the journey I took in the back seat of a Thai owned/driven Fortuner yesterday.

Too late.......of the 3, non belted, -6 year olds in the vehicle, one was sitting on the gearbox console (watching a TV in the dashboard) and would have been heading straight for the windscreen (collecting the rear view mirror in his face on the way) in the event of an emergency stop.

I suppose they would have counted the stitches on his face (if he had been "lucky" enough to survive) should the driver have had to carry out a procedure which is meant to prevent injury.

Edited by Enoon

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That reminds of a phrase in a UK road safety advert. "Only a fool breaks the two second rule."

Actually counting to 2   is  not two seconds, youd  need to count to 3 to get a 2  second  gap

14 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Actually counting to 2   is  not two seconds, youd  need to count to 3 to get a 2  second  gap

It            depends          howfastyoucount.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

So why is that a problem? Let them drive into the space if they want. You don’t own that space.

Really sad to read that you do not get why. I will give you a hint. It has something to do why common sense and respect for safety.

Edited by Matzzon

In the '70s and '80s I used to live in Germany.  They had an excellent road safety campaign on the autobahnen.  Posters advised drivers that for every 10 kph of speed one car's length should be left between their car and the car in front.  That is very generous and allows for a wide margin of safety but blanket advice like this has to allow for different conditions, vehicles etc.  

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Works just fine on motorways , no good on Thai single carriage ways.  4 cars would fill that gap.

On 12/29/2019 at 12:03 PM, bluesofa said:

Ha, Ha. If you tried that on these roads you would never get to your destination as the Thais would leap frog you to get in the space.