40km-long traffic jam on Mittraphap Road

webfact

40km-long traffic jam on Mittraphap Road

By The Nation

800_8a500a4a3dcbe1c.jpg?v=1577589280

Travellers heading down Mittraphap Road towards Nakhon Ratchasima province for the New Year have been bogged down by heavy traffic, with the queue of vehicles stretching for almost 40 kilometres on Saturday (December 28).

The traffic situation on this vital road for travellers from Bangkok to the Northeast has been aggravated by motorway construction.

Vehicles are moving at a snail’s pace on the crowded four-lane road, periodically disrupted by Nakhon Ratchasima Highway 2 staff and highway police officers who have opened a special inbound traffic lane to Bangkok, from Nong Sarai subdistrict in Pak Chong district to Lat Buakhao subdistrict in Sikhio district, a total distance of 24 kilometres, to accelerate the flow of vehicles.

Traffic on Mittraphap Road is very high along the route from Saraburi to Nakhon Ratchasima, and the situation is expected to continue throughout the day. The long traffic jams are expected until Sunday morning. However, the traffic is light on the 304 route in the Pak Thong Chai-Kabin Buri section.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379967

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-30
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

yeah, I've often thought, what would it be like if you desperately wanted to do #2 while immobile for hours in a traffic jam.....

Having a quiet pee should not be too difficult, but the other?????

Anyone had experience they could share with us?

Well, ok, maybe not....

Chinese  have the answer..................????

• Haha 1

Lately, when going in and out of Bangkok, I have been doing it either late at night, after 10pm, or early in the morning, around 5am. During the day it can be utter madness, especially on Highway 9 or 1. Bangkok toward Saraburi. Wow. Public transport desperately needs to be improved, as there are more cars, and more trucks every year. Also, they need to figure out a more efficient way to move freight, as a large portion of this problem is due to slow moving trucks clogging the highways. Maybe carpool lanes? Or more freight trains. That would be some progress!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Lately, when going in and out of Bangkok, I have been doing it either late at night, after 10pm, or early in the morning, around 5am. During the day it can be utter madness, especially on Highway 9 or 1. Bangkok toward Saraburi. Wow. Public transport desperately needs to be improved, as there are more cars, and more trucks every year. Also, they need to figure out a more efficient way to move freight, as a large portion of this problem is due to slow moving trucks clogging the highways. Maybe carpool lanes? Or more freight trains. That would be some progress!

You touch on the real problem - a lack of means of getting from A to B except by road. Very limited = massive traffic on the roads. On the positive side, with cars going so slowly there are likely to be less serious accidents than if the cars were speeding along at 120+.

• Like 1

We left Don Mueng 0915 to Saraburi, then Korat. Highway 2 0verpass in Saraburi at 1145 (100 km approx.), then Korat 1700 (255 km total approx.) Johnny Walker bottle at 1701. Normal traffic is 3.00 - 3.30 hrs. 

As usual my wife was right - "I told you five times we should not do this - why you never listen to me!"

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Traffic on Mittraphap Road is very high along the route from Saraburi to Nakhon Ratchasima, and the situation is expected to continue throughout the day. The long traffic jams are expected until Sunday morning.

And this is being posted as breaking news on Monday?  Or is that news source using US time?

1 hour ago, Sailor42 said:

We left Don Mueng 0915 to Saraburi, then Korat. Highway 2 0verpass in Saraburi at 1145 (100 km approx.), then Korat 1700 (255 km total approx.) Johnny Walker bottle at 1701. Normal traffic is 3.00 - 3.30 hrs. 

As usual my wife was right - "I told you five times we should not do this - why you never listen to me!"

My heart goes out to you. That is miserable. Peak hours are the worst. Something is going to give. This can't go on. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I drive from Khon Kaen to Bangkok often and 95% of the time I leave at 8pm or later.  Daytime driving is ridiculous...the heavy trucks in the day or night are the most dangerous, plus they are the ones that cause all the traffic as they cannot get up even the smallest hill without slowing to a crawl and they always cover all the lanes....Solution...the elevated highway is nearly complete....supposedly, heavy trucks are not allowed on the elevated highway so hopefully when it opens in 2021 the drive will be much better.  I will pay the Toll no matter what it costs just to get away from the heavy trucks.