Why are more & more expats leaving Thailand?

RyanWalker

17 minutes ago, legend49 said:

the Thai guy saying the policies are really useless, we have to get permission for each treatment and it can take days , sometimes its ok and others its a no go"

The immigration just don't care Who pays for hospital or who does not. They just want you to have that policy by their qualified insurer at the time of visa renewal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I am a long-term American - I have been here for more than thirty years - and I have had friends leave during this past year.  Only one of them is an American, all of the others, more than a dozen, who have gone are either British, Australian, or European, with one Canadian.  The American and Canadian left because of the insurance issues - they are both over seventy - and they took their Thai wives with them.  The others left mainly due, as several said, to "...the constant hassles of living here", and the exchange rate.  Why do I stay?  I chose Thailand as the place I wanted to live.  I have worked and paid taxes here for many years although I am now retired.  I have a Thai family.  I speak Thai and want my children to share my love for Thailand.  That said, if it were just my wife and I, or if my children were all grown and on their own - my youngest is in secondary school - I too would seriously be looking elsewhere, though probably not America, perhaps a neighboring country.

well which neighboring country?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

More talkin than walkin.

Fair enough and not saying there isn't a fair amount of truth in your comment, but just want to point out a couple of things which I think need to be taken into consideration.

The financial ground has shifted under our collective feet during the past 10 years. After the Great Recession all we heard about was how central banks were deathly afraid of deflation and were slashing interest rates in order to stimulate the economy. We also heard regular alarm bells from financial planners that large percentages of retirees and near retirees had next to no savings and would likely be highly dependent on government entitlement programs. This created the impression that prices back home were only increasingly modestly, if at all, and that even if you had next to no savings and were highly dependent on government entitlement programs, this was somehow still do-able. What could easily have been overlooked in the process is that government reports on inflation were only measuring a basket of consumer goods, not assets like real estate or stock shares. With interest rates suppressed by monetary policy, money has poured into asset classes like real estate and stock shares. This has grossly distorted the cost of housing in many Western countries. Not only that, an increasingly large percentage of real estate sales of single family dwellings are being purchased by non-owner occupied investors which is putting additional pressure on real estate purchase and rental prices. Someone considering repatriation after a long stint in Thailand, could easily find themselves priced out of the locale were they had previously lived. This means that they will likely be under pressure to repatriate to a region less familiar to them, and in many cases they may discover that repatriation back to their country of origin has become a foreclosed option, further complicating their plans.

For example, according to US Department of Labor 2018 statistics, the average American over 65 lives on $4125/mo or $49,500/yr. How many expats who have been here for an extended period of time could sustain that level of expenditure? My point is that if the cost of living in the West had continued to gradually increase at the same historical rates we were accustomed to in the past, repatriation back home would probably be a lot easier and I suspect more people would be exercising that option than currently is the case.

The take-away lessons I have learned in the process of evaluating repatriation are that the rules of the game for becoming an ex-pat have changed. There are hidden uncertainties about the future which need to be factored in. Keeping open a viable option of returning to your country of origin for the duration of your life is not something which should be relinquished without extremely careful consideration of potential scenarios, i.e., changes in medical or life circumstances. Even though the value of keeping this option open may not become apparent until you reach an advanced stage of life, and indeed may never become necessary, it's an option, in my opinion, which in today's world needs to be kept open whenever possible.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Interesting, but I see there is no mention that one issue people dislike is CHANGE.  Particularly the older the person is.  Secondly, many have been abusing the Visa System for many years and rightly, the Government has tightened it up and now the swindlers can no longer duck and dive to get illegal Visas.  The Country belongs to the Thais and we are visitors and have no devine right to live here.  Just the same as Visas to the UK and USA are difficult to get for Thais!  I have been here now for 15 years and seen many changes, including the departure of many dodgy characters who I would not give the time of day to.  For those who follow the laws of Thailand...........Welcome.  For those who try to fiddle the system, please take you dishonest life styles elsewhere.

I would add the caveat that once the US Visa is granted, there is no restriction of your freedom of movement nor requirement to report your address. I think this also holds true of the front end demonstrating who are able to support your visit to the USA. I did the same, plus the clear police record and medical record when I applied for the O-A Visa for retiring in Thailand 8 years ago.

Edited by wwest5829

2 hours ago, Christie Paul said:

Working illegally online ?

I just don't see the harm in it. 

To the contrary, if they earn from abroad and spend here, the beneficiary is where they spend. 

Furthermore, because of such policies Thailand loses out to many countries which welcome such people and thrive because of it. 

That's as maybe, but they're still working illegally and manipulating the immigration laws.

I don't make the laws, but they do exist, and should be respected.

Don't like it, off you go then.

Then when Thailand disappears of the face of the earth due to the loss of your input, you can come back and tell us 'I told you so'....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

The ex-pat exodus in Thailand is ongoing. Was this the intention of the xenophobic military junta? Almost certainly. Maybe they're not as thick as you think.

"Maybe they're not as thick as you think."  They are just typical Thais with a third world mentality trying to run a third world country.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RyanWalker said:

You know there is zero reporting for me on my marriage visa. Got a 2 year visa and have no reporting to do. The 3 month reporting in Thailand is a joke! For what reason they have that, I'd really like to know

They just love to have authority, and we are the obvious targets. What other country makes expats do reporting, 90 days or otherwise?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

I love Chinese women but having visited several times, and knowing the government, I'd never live there. Overcrowded, gov't surveillance, polluted, bad food (trips to the bathroom every time), noisy and everything is heavily censored. Have to play a lot of anti-Great Firewall games just to read my NY Times. I'd settle for a gf in the Philippines or Chiang Mai (and disappear every burn season). Probably the latter, because the internet in the Philippines is a joke. I had a serious gf in Saigon too--Vietnam might be the best bet and also with the most beautiful women.

I agree but why Vietnam if you not like communist country or there the communist systeme is different  ?

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

The immigration just don't care Who pays for hospital or who does not. They just want you to have that policy by their qualified insurer at the time of visa renewal. 

This because the name is scam insurance.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tagged said:

30 friends? Is these friends trough work or is it mostly expats on pention? since you say visa problem, I guess they did not have enough resourches to continue to live in paradise. 

Where did they go? 

I had enough monthly money to show my embassy until the baht went silly.  Then, when the embassy writes "from rents and investments" Immigration asks to see 80k in the bank, as well as the letter -  ON, not FROM 01/April/19.  i.e every month from April 2018 and the law was only changed in late 2018.   Also, a real hot 2019 in my 6th year plus getting bored with the road toll and Uncle Dtu.  And nerves after so many bad medical experiences here even in the best hospitals made me go home 5 months ago.  My Thai wife followed me here as soon as she could clear up some business & property matters.  We are both happy to be back home in a different form of Paradise.  Many would like to go home but are trapped here by circumstances, family, or lack of economic future if they go home. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

I had enough monthly money to show my embassy until the baht went silly.  Then, when the embassy writes "from rents and investments" Immigration asks to see 80k in the bank, as well as the letter -  ON, not FROM 01/April/19.  i.e every month from April 2018 and the law was only changed in late 2018.   Also, a real hot 2019 in my 6th year plus getting bored with the road toll and Uncle Dtu.  And nerves after so many bad medical experiences here even in the best hospitals made me go home 5 months ago.  My Thai wife followed me here as soon as she could clear up some business & property matters.  We are both happy to be back home in a different form of Paradise.  Many would like to go home but are trapped here by circumstances, family, or lack of economic future if they go home. 

I for my self, keep one foot in my homecountry and one in Thailand. Will make the same possibility for my gf so we will be independent from where we have to stay when <deleted> hits the fan. I also keep on working some in my homecountry to not fall out completely. 

I think this strong baht was a good wake up call for me in time, before I made the big step or move. However I have always felt Thailand would not stay the same, or Asia will not be the same in future, to much going on in China and on the international level as well. 

• Like 2