Thai retailers' plastic bags ban comes into effect

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, glennb6 said:

Mark2x, it's like the 2000b fine for a cigarette butt on the street. It's like the enforcement of traffic rules in Thailand, it's like "your papers please (because you look odd)".

Instead of banning plastic bags, why not ban the DUMPING of lots of garbage/trash on the roadsides?

I have nothing against common sense environmental stuff, but this bag ban <deleted> is not common sense.

+1

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Flyfish said:

The biggest issue will be conflict avoidance by staff....they will continue to offer bags,despite what H.O. Might decree.

Me thinks Head Office will not be supplying bags when current stock used. !!!!!!@#$%!!

The staff will hardly go buy them to give to customers will they. So there will be no conflict soon.

In a few weeks we will all be very used to never leaving home without a cloth bag. No dramas the world aint gonna end.

Waste bin liners that I need to put rubbish in .. prior to it going to the condo complex's large bins still needed.  I will have to buy if I see them. Not looked.

But we will collectively not need to buy in future the huge amounts we all got handed daily needlessly for the want of a 5p reuseable bag.

The solution the change does is the "drastic less use of plastic".  

Errr a good motto if you know the damage it does.

Edited by PAWNEESE

22 hours ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

People not only use plastic bags for groceries, but for garbage. What are we supposed to put our garbage in when we throw it out? There will be garbage everywhere on the streets now blowing around. What about paper bags? What about plastic bottles? What about the food at stands, that is all put in bags? Another Thai brilliant idea without thinking about the consequences.

Perhaps you should consider how Europeans and North Americans  are coping?

- You can buy plastic garbage bags.

-There is garbage in the street now.  

- What about plastic bottles? This initiative is about wasteful overuse of plastic bags. Bottles are not affected, nor are food packages.

Instead of labelling this another "Thai brilliant idea without thinking about the consequences, why don't you think? Your reaction is  selfish and typical of the mindset that curses so many of the poorly educated low status foreigners in Thailand. Thailand is finally doing what has been done elsewhere after years of delay. Instead of making an effort to understand, you criticize Thais.  Has Germany collapsed because of a much stricter restriction? Has Canada  disintegrated for doing similar? Get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Let us guess, bet you are also against the nanny state enforcing speed limits, wearing motorcycle helmets, the use of seatbelts, measles vaccinations, blood alcohol limits for drivers, etc etc.

Sometimes the nanny state has to bring in rules for the benefit of all, even those who cannot see past their own nose and don't give a ???? about anything or anybody except themself.

It is so nice to know that we have benevolent philosopher kings such as yourself to look after us. I'll sleep better tonight knowing that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, beavenlen said:

our local mom+pop shop has given customers a large shoulder bag for new year ,we have refused bags now for 4 months , as for foam my wife has a food outlet and in partnership with local authority has stop using foam also instead uses green alternative, why worry about bags,whats wrong with all those cardboard boxes the plastic arrives in,use them like we did in the past.

Never heard about to recycle those cardboards or plastic bottles??? It's big business. 

We stopped at 3 different Seven Elevens since yesterday and they are still doing plastic bags no ban. Although this afternoon the Seven Eleven by my house was only giving plastic bags if you buy something heavy like water or something. I stopped by there this afternoon to buy a few little supplies to make a homemade bong and they actually didn’t give me a plastic bag but they were most certainly still giving plastic bags to anyone who buys anything heavy or too much to carry. So I definitely wouldn’t call it a “plastic bag ban” more like slightly cutting back on plastic bags is accurate. 

Edited by DennisE

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

The ban doesn't come in until next year :coffee1:

I don’t know according to the article it started yesterday but they definitely haven’t banned plastic bags at all I’ve been to 3 different Seven Elevens since yesterday traveling. Although the one by my house is not giving plastic bags to anyone buying like a few little things. For example I bought a few little tiny supplies to make a home made bong at home and I was actually told no plastic bag but they were still giving plastic bags to anyone buying enough items not a lot just enough that would be difficult to carry without bag. Looks like they’re just cutting back or maybe slowly reducing plastic bags until any type of ban takes effect possibly. Definitely not a ban as of yesterday.

But the homemade bong is working fine go green! 

Edited by DennisE

I had a funny experience with this during the first day. I bought some stuff, not a lot but enough to need some kind of container. They were selling their extra special bags for 25 and I declined. Then the stuff was rung up, I paid, and the cashier and bagger (why?) seemed truly freaked out that I declined to buy their special bag as they had nothing else to offer. Then after a dramatic delay my own RETRO plastic bag comes out of my back pocket. Yes, I've been hoarding!

• Like 1

I was looking at this picture that someone posted. Here’s the original but, take a closer look and oh plastic bags on the counter ready for customers who need them like they’re actually doing right now. 

8D73FF9E-FC1C-4E65-A0E7-ABC09EAA794D.png

167610A7-D2BC-4981-A825-79887A691D98.png

Edited by DennisE

3 minutes ago, DennisE said:

I don’t know according to the article it started yesterday

Poor "journalism". It's part of a government led campaign but legislation to actually ban them is being worked on (don't think it's passed?) to be implement from 2021 if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Poor "journalism". It's part of a government led campaign but legislation to actually ban them is being worked on (don't think it's passed?) to be implement from 2021 if I remember correctly.

I didn’t think it was accurate we’ve been traveling for the last 2 days I’ve been to 3 Seven Elevens one yesterday and two today about 50K apart and they are all still giving plastic bags. Although the one by my house is not giving plastic bags to anyone buying like a few little tiny things. For example I needed a few little things earlier to make a quick water bottle bong (I recycle ♻️) and I just bought a few little things at the Seven Eleven around the corner after we got home and that was the first time I didn’t get one but they said only because I was buying so little. If you’re buying anything that might be even a little inconvenient to carry without a bag then no problem you’ll still get a plastic bag but I live in Korat I can only assume the rest of the country is the same the other two Seven Elevens I stopped at this morning far away from here and yesterday even further away from here were also still giving plastic bags. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DennisE said:

I didn’t think it was accurate

Sorry, I may have misled a little. It is "accurate" in the fact that a bunch of organisations have come out and stated they where "banning" them from 1 January this year (including 7) but IMO, until legislation is in place "ban" is the wrong word.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

The ban doesn't come in until next year :coffee1:

You are correct.  Some plastics have been banned from now, bottle seals, micro beads and oxo-degradable plastic.  The current 'ban' on bags is a signed agreement by many of the larger retailers and backed by the government.  Not a law. That comes in January 2021.

The posters that state that in their experience, 7/11's are continuing with plastic bags as usual is a little hard to believe.  Yesterday, I noticed the 3 in my area would not give out bags.  Since then I've visited perhaps half a dozen more and likewise, they are not issuing bags.  Posters in BKK have also confirmed that bags are not being issued in the 7/11's they frequent.  Only day 2 but I have yet to find a 7/11 that are still issuing plastic bags.

Are people being 'Trumpian' and denying the facts?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HHTel said:

They haven't.  Oxo-degradable plastic is banned by law.  Bio-degradable bags are fine.

Are you saying no shop in Thailand uses biodegradable bags then? As all major retailers are banning plastic bags. Common sense to force all bags to biodegradable. Job done.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

seems we have a bag expert on TVF

I think it's safe to say we all generally agree that plastic is bad, problem is a lot of these "convenience" stores are used by customers on the hoof - used without a pre plan to use, that would account for 80% of my usage - out doing something else and drop in on my way home - try carrying 10 bottles of beer a pint of milk and a loaf without a bag

Take it you haven't been to the UK recently. They stopped giving away plastic bags along time ago, if you want one you have to pay for it, soon makes people carry their own. The cost is insignificant for your 10 bottles of beer.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Are you saying no shop in Thailand uses biodegradable bags then? As all major retailers are banning plastic bags. Common sense to force all bags to biodegradable. Job done.

Read it again.  I said OXO-DEGRADABLE plastic is now banned by law. Bio-degradable plastic is fine.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 6:18 PM, Nyezhov said:

I bought a couple of those cute cloth bags for my pack and pocket. No big deal.

China makes these small bags that fold up to nothing, made from recycled material and are reasonably strong. The retailers could offer these bags at a cost+ to provide a viable alternative to "no-bags". Engineering the populace into accepting a "new-normal" takes time. Reducing the gap in transition is the key. Leaving them hanging on a "NO BAG" or some threats of punitive measure will certainly fail.

• Like 1