Primary school boy in Korat steals his soldier dad's gun and shoots friend at school

webfact

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

Yes why would a soldier need to keep that at home when no one is at war? Other countries weapons are locked in an armory.

I lived and worked in Switzerland, all Swiss males are in the army and all have guns in their homes.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

I lived and worked in Switzerland, all Swiss males are in the army and all have guns in their homes.

But, no doubt keep them in a location where 9 or 10 year old kids can not get at them!

1 hour ago, roo860 said:
Owning a firearm in Thailand has been legal since 1947. The Act Controlling Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms only allows people to obtain licenses to own guns for the purposes of self-defense, protection of property, sports or hunting.Oct 13, 2017

Only for Thais though.

The dad is partially to blame, for not having this gun locked up in a place that is very secure, and for having a loaded gun anywhere in the house. There is no reason for this. You can always keep a clip close by in case the need arises. So, in addition to punishing this kid with many years in a juvenile facility, the father should be stripped of his position, locked up and made to pay a fine of over at least a million baht to the family of the victim. Without effective deterrents in place, a society runs amok. 

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

A soldier thinks it's fine to leave a loaded gun about the house.....the immaturity of Thai males never ceases to amaze me.

Not just a soldier, but an officer. Responsible for discipline and upholding standards. Will that make any difference in this old boys' network?

33 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

nonsense

Agree. In about 1960 when I was 13 , a lad in the class collected Dinky toys.  I had a box full.  He had a cellar full of WW2 stuff. I gave him some toys and he gave me a gun , oh and a bayonet which is still around I expect in England.  The gun was carried around in my school bag for a few days just to show other people at school. Never did find out where all this stuff came from and can't remember who I sold the gun to but I remember the road and the boy's name after all these years . The gun ..I remember it had a means to eject the bullets on breaking it that is all.

12 hours ago, ta158 said:

Second recent shooting like this, but I think in thai news it said it was a mistake/accident 

Thai news might take their standard wording "break failure on an unknown road in heavy rain, bad visibility"

Thailand has very "liberal" gun laws and very little to keep them safe. Especially with poor enforcement there is a thriving black market in firearms too.

There are 7.48 registered violent gun deaths per 100,000 people, the rate is also twice as high as that of the US.

And what about the headline? The distinct impression I get is that the boy stole the gun with the intention of shooting (pointing it and pulling the trigger) his "friend" when the real situation in the story says it was an accident.

16 hours ago, toenail said:

Sorry, the dad should take part of the blame. Guns should always be locked up in the home. 

No, no, no!  Guns of service personnel and the police should be locked up in their armoury and they draw them out, on signature when they need them.  I blame principally the negligence of the Government for not enforcing such a law.  How can you expect a relatively uneducated soldier to know any better if the Government fails to protect it's citizens.

4 hours ago, legend49 said:

Yes why would a soldier need to keep that at home when no one is at war? Other countries weapons are locked in an armory.

I beg to differ: not in Switzerland where guns -and ammo- are kept at home. Obviously under strict condition.

Which brings another point regarding Thailand: as a military democracy (I know.. I know), how can a soldier keep his gun at home ? A coup could be staged if enough soldiers keep their weapon home ? 

But then, LOS it is .. 

21 minutes ago, Salerno said:

When did Switzerland descend to third-world status?

And to the pedantic that keeps popping in about the original meaning of "third-world" ... enough already!

Hear Hear ! I’ll second that motion ????????????

16 hours ago, toenail said:

Sorry, the dad should take part of the blame. Guns should always be locked up in the home. 

Wrong!  The father ( or rather the parents ) should take all the blame!

The parents have the responsibility for kids 9 - 10 year old.
They are responsible for bringing up their children.

A soldier Dad and a teacher Mum, and they still do not know ( or don't care) how to bring up their children. Then there is not much hope for Thailand.

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

A soldier thinks it's fine to leave a loaded gun about the house.....the immaturity of Thai males never ceases to amaze me.

Compared to the maturity of males and their guns in the US?   Or the maturity of primarily male military around the world who regularly  dismiss  the deaths of civilians, including children, as acceptable collateral damage?

As usual, the admittedly poor behavior on the part of an individual Thai is immediately generalized to all Thais and the ridiculous implied absence of similar behavior on the part of any farang  is made to suggest some innate superiority.

When it comes to irresponsible behavior with firearms, I think Thais would be far behind a whole lot of "mature" farangs.

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Would never happen in the West,would it?  Never see or hear of any USminor shooitng people.  Oh.

But that wouldn;t fit with the negative to Thais narrative, would it?

19 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Something has obviously gone very wrong in his upbringing.

I tend to disagree.... something has gone very wrong with his fathers training in gun safety and storage!!

While I question what the boy was doing taking a gun to school I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that he didn't fully understand what he was doing at such a young age and treated it like a toy!

The father broke every rule in the book, and should be punished accordingly !

4 hours ago, legend49 said:

In some countries military personnel, whether they're regulars or reserves, need to have weapons at home due to their assignments. For example, some soldiers in the Norwegian Home Guard have weapons and ammunition at home if they are part of a rapid reaction force, because it would take them too much time travelling to the nearest armory, pick up the weapons and then travel to their mission area. These weapons are required to be stored in a certified weapons locker when at home though, and the personnel are to inform the household about safety and risks.

Archived