Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

8 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I normally do one outside the gate & one in the garden with house in both shots.  Do you think that would that satisfy their "2 angles"?

I guess so but then again who knows, this is Thailand and not all immigration officers act the same.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I went along to Chiang Mai Immigration on Wednesday ,had an appointment ,was directed

to window 2 ,to have paperwork pre checked , they went through everything  ,did not want 

the 12 months of statements from Bangkok Bank ,wish i had of known ,took 3 trips to the

bank to get them ,you can bet if i didn't have them ,they would have wanted them .

Took 45 mins altogether , I have a friend going to Central next week doing it by Agent,

4 K baht ,but had to get paperwork from bank himself, see how long it takes him for

the extra money , does not like to wait around ......45 mins once a year you cannot

complain ... this time they did not do my 90 day report , so did it online when I got

home , it was approved next day   Thank you Chiang Mai immigration ,you are great....

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will go to CM Immigration soon and I have an appointment for a retirement extension.  Did you have to go to the "tent" first or "directed to window 2" in the main building's central information counter which distributes the appropriate queue number?

There were previous reports of expats with appointments were redirected from the inside counter back to the "tent" for paperwork checks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProbPossConf said:

I will go to CM Immigration soon and I have an appointment for a retirement extension.  Did you have to go to the "tent" first or "directed to window 2" in the main building's central information counter which distributes the appropriate queue number?

Might be hit or miss.  Sounds like Worgeordie wasn't required to do the "tent" pre-check, same as what happened to me in December of 2022; however, I again went straight to Window 2 this past December (2023) and they made me go to the tent area for a pre-check there (which almost made me late for the appointment time).    

3 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

There were previous reports of expats with appointments were redirected from the inside counter back to the "tent" for paperwork checks.

At the first small hut as you enter ,tell the person you have an appointment , he then told me to go

to window 2 ,which is in tent area ,but they have built a row of small offices with numbers ,they

check you paperwork there , then from there a young immigration lad ,whisked  my papers inside,

saying listen for your name been called , if you want to hear your name ,find a seat beside window 10,

as with the noise in there ,and the bad tannoy system not easy to hear , 

The first call will be for your photo to be taken , later on a lady will come out with box of passports

calling out names , make sure you get your bank book back too ,  at window 2 they also take the

B 1900 in advance . good luck 

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I went along to Chiang Mai Immigration on Wednesday ,had an appointment ,was directed

to window 2 ,to have paperwork pre checked , they went through everything  ,did not want 

the 12 months of statements from Bangkok Bank ,wish i had of known ,took 3 trips to the

bank to get them ,you can bet if i didn't have them ,they would have wanted them .

Took 45 mins altogether , I have a friend going to Central next week doing it by Agent,

4 K baht ,but had to get paperwork from bank himself, see how long it takes him for

the extra money , does not like to wait around ......45 mins once a year you cannot

complain ... this time they did not do my 90 day report , so did it online when I got

home , it was approved next day   Thank you Chiang Mai immigration ,you are great....

regards Worgeordie

Extension of stay at Central?

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

.......make sure you get your bank book back too ...

Interesting.  While I've provided the standard bank stuff for an extension based on retirement (currently being the one year statement and standard bank letter), I've never given them my actual bankbook. I do always have it (along with lots of other stuff) with me just in case.

6 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Interesting.  While I've provided the standard bank stuff for an extension based on retirement (currently being the one year statement and standard bank letter), I've never given them my actual bankbook. I do always have it (along with lots of other stuff) with me just in case.

Yes they definitely require the bank book , updated on the day you are going to Immigration, but they don't seem to need

the 12 month worth of statements , as last 2 years they have just given them back to me . but I would still get the statement,

because if you did not have it they would be sure to want it .......

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 2:17 PM, Raindancer said:

I have a retirement extension appointment tomorrow.

So, I will provide feedback on the system, tent or no tent when I return home.

Arrived early 1345pm.  Went straight to the tent.  Window one was free, so I just walked up and showed my email appt.

The officer took my papers straight away.  He said he didn't need my bank statements.   5 minutes or so later and he handed my documents to a colleague, who walked me inside and told me to wait to hear my name called.

Called forward and handed over my latest bank book and copy,for yet another check and surprisingly enough, she asked for 12 months statements.  No point in explaining that the officer in the tent said they were not required.  I just gave them to her and smiled.

I left 40 minutes after arrival in the tent.

Edit:  I should add that the reason she probably wanted the bank statements, is because I had 3 bank books( same account) with only 3.5 pages in, so the bank provided new bank books, because the previous two had no more pages left after  all the updates.

But the 800000 baht had never been withdrawn and this was confirmed in all 3 Bank books and verified by the statements. 

This obviously confused her because she asked " why so many bank books"?

Edited by Raindancer
Additional Information