Ukrainian Boeing 737 with at least 170 aboard crashes in Iran

webfact

3 hours ago, tgw said:

what kind of engine failure cuts off the radio?

Pilots handle emergency in this order: Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. If shrapnel flew into the wings and fuselage (I am not speculating where that would come from), pilots would have focused on trying to keep plane in control or regain control, find a place to put it down (airport, or a road or a field), before communicating with the tower.

You're in a car, you see a truck coming full speed head-on into you. Do you pick up the phone and call someone? Or do you try to avoid collision?

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, I'll be the impertinent one here.  Anyone else curious why there were 63 people leaving Tehran on Canadian passports? 

Notice that I didn't say "Canadians" leaving Tehran...

The BBC, quoting the Ukranian foreign minister was more specific:-

"Among the victims were 82 Iranians, 63 Canadians, 11 Ukrainians - including all of the crew, 10 Swedes, four Afghans and three Germans, Vadym Prystaiko said".

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The BBC, quoting the Ukranian foreign minister was more specific:-

"Among the victims were 82 Iranians, 63 Canadians, 11 Ukrainians - including all of the crew, 10 Swedes, four Afghans and three Germans, Vadym Prystaiko said".

My reference was to an "Argo" scenario...  And I wasn't aware that Canadian travel in Iran was so open, with Canada being in the Five Eyes alliance.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

My reference was to an "Argo" scenario...  And I wasn't aware that Canadian travel in Iran was so open, with Canada being in the Five Eyes alliance.

It is likely that foreign embassies in Iran have been looking for any available way to evacuate part of their nationals after the American strike.

One has to wonder why Iran is refusing to hand over the black box? Wow if they did shoot this plane down they will really have stepped in their own doo doo. To make matters worse it had Canadians. Canadians get outraged if one of them die more than most. Not an American on the plane so it makes me wonder. 

I will throw out the possibility the Iranians shot down the wrong plane. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

One has to wonder why Iran is refusing to hand over the black box? Wow if they did shoot this plane down they will really have stepped in their own doo doo. To make matters worse it had Canadians. Canadians get outraged if one of them die more than most. Not an American on the plane so it makes me wonder. 

It's just as likely that someone else shot it down and Iran doesn't want to turn the data over to someone who may cover up their role, or cast the blame somewhere else.

The 737-800 NG also has frame problems, recently identified in heavy use aircraft.  That could be a nail in Boeing's coffin, added to the problems with the 737 Max.

But it's all speculation... 

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

The 737-800 NG also has frame problems, recently identified in heavy use aircraft.  That could be a nail in Boeing's coffin, added to the problems with the 737 Max.

yes. but age related. not relevant in this case. 

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's just as likely that someone else shot it down and Iran doesn't want to turn the data over to someone who may cover up their role, or cast the blame somewhere else.

But it's all speculation... 

Watched the stock today. It sure wasn't trading like the majority of people were thinking it was a mechanical failure. The longer they hold it the guiltier they look. I hope they get their airport blacklisted from passenger jets if they continue to play stupid games.

42 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

((snipped))

the nail has suffered a direct hit (on the head)

they have.

successfully.

shot down.

a plane.

....... western aircraft, maybe not the one they wanted, but it'll do.....

sad emoti....:sad:

2 minutes ago, jastheace said:

((snipped))

the nail has suffered a direct hit (on the head)

they have.

successfully.

shot down.

a plane.

....... western aircraft, maybe not the one they wanted, but it'll do.....

sad emoti....:sad:

At the very least they got some splainin' to do.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

You have been spreading rumours here, better to stick to the facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

As it crashed whilst Iran was firing a volley of missiles at US bases in Iraq, I'll wager that the technical problem was a rocket up it's rear end. Just too much of a coincidence.

Source please. Nothing like starting a rumour based on?

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems to me that fan blades disintegrating would fly sideways. Similar holes in the fuselage might fit that, but not, IMO in the wing.

Thankfully the Iranians are being fully transparent about the matter so we can put aside conspiracy theories once and for all. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

So, I'll be the impertinent one here.  Anyone else curious why there were 63 people leaving Tehran on Canadian passports? 

Notice that I didn't say "Canadians" leaving Tehran...

Agree. Just exactly who was on the plane that got shot down? Was this Iran's actual response to the drone strike on the general? Not that diversionary attack on the air base?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Agree. Just exactly who was on the plane that got shot down? Was this Iran's actual response to the drone strike on the general? Not that diversionary attack on the air base?

The only way we'd ever know is for a journalist to do a background check on each and every passenger on the manifest and report their findings.  But I can't see that happening without interference on the grounds of National Security (or whatever they call it in Canada...)  Or, just as likely, a sham effort perpetrated by our governments, full of all kinds of falsehoods. 

Either way, I wouldn't trust an "all clear" anyway.

I can't say I'd blame them, especially in the near term when they probably have a lot more folks they need to get out.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, zydeco said:

So we have accepted as a fact the plane has been shot down now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

So we have accepted as a fact the plane has been shot down now? 

If by 'we' you mean Zydeco and Cryingdick, possibly. Many others will want to refrain from your speculation.

• Haha 1