Ukrainian Boeing 737 with at least 170 aboard crashes in Iran

webfact

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

Source please. Nothing like starting a rumour based on?

Not a rumour, just my opinion. Where did I say that anything in my post was a fact? We are entitled to have opinions, aren't we?

Since the post I made, I have now changed my opinion (is that allowed?) and now think, on the balance of probability, it was a mechanical failure.

• Haha 1

I guess it all depends on how strongly or not you believe in coincidences.

"Iran’s insistence that it will not hand over the black boxes to Boeing comes amid claims that at least two aircraft which had been originally routed through Iranian airspace around the time of the Iranian missile attacks on the bases in Iraq were either told to turn around or redirected."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/08/iran-says-it-will-not-give-black-box-from-crashed-airliner-to-boeing

Edited by JHolmesJr

Still too early for any conclusive evidence... But a lot of speculation:

Iranian authorities pointed to the possibility of engine failure, but some aviation observers were skeptical.

"There was no way for Iran to know it was engine failure,” said Mary Schiavo, a former U.S. Department of Transportation inspector general and a pilot. She said photos of the wreckage she’s examined show no evidence of engine problems. 

“That is the wreckage of an explosion in the air,” she said. “Something happened to blow that plane out of the air. Statistically speaking, that’s a missile or a bomb.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/01/08/ukrainian-plane-crash-iran-no-survivors-black-boxes-found/2842039001/

6 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

I'd rather wait for the results of the aircrash- investigation, but hey...this is ThaiVisa, so let the conclusion- jumping- competition begin!

Yes so would we ,but the problem is that Iran is holding on to the black boxes and will not hand them over,Why? if there is nothing to hide ,then thats ok ,but ,who also is doing the air crash investigation,Iran?

43 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

More on Russian Tor missiles.

"A strike by a missile, possibly a Tor missile system, is among the main (theories), as information has surfaced on the internet about elements of a missile being found near the site of the crash," Oleksiy Danilov, secretary of Ukraine's Security Council, told media in the country.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, SkyFax said:

According to the NY Times (updated) Jan. 8, 2020, 4:39 PM Bangkok time

The airline said 167 passengers and nine crew members were on board.

Vadym Prystaiko, Ukraine’s minister of foreign affairs, said the victims included 82 Iranians and 11 Ukrainians, including nine Ukrainian crew members. Sixty-three passengers were from Canada, 10 from Sweden, four from Afghanistan, three from Germany and three from Britain, he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/world/middleeast/iran-plane-crash-boeing-ukraine.html

The Iranian authorities say 147 of the passengers were Iranian, suggesting that 65 of the passengers were dual passport holders. I think it's safe to say virtually all of the passengers were Iranian, but some held foreign passports. So 63 of the passengers were probably Iranians who live in Canada. 

I don't think anyone without Iranian heritage would want to visit Iran, unless on a humanitarian mission to help the long suffering Iranian civilians. 

No wonder that all international flights are avoiding to fly over Iran and Iraq at the moment as it is obvious the plane was shot down. If it was a mechanical problem there would be a lot of screams internationaly about the unreliability of the crashed plane. Those in plane industry know very well what happened.

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Oops.

Iranian investigators on Thursday said the black boxes that belonged to the plane have been damaged and some parts of their memory were lost.

No evidence.

It's a convinient lie. The plane was shot down unfortunately. What a shame. These things shouldn't happen!

you'd think in the age of cell phones and twitter and online everything, somebody on the ground would have noticed an air defense missile going off and hitting an airliner and posted a video or photo or just a text message?

from other videos we've seen, air defense missiles are pretty spectacular.  not something easily ignored.

I guess I am vindicated when I hypothesized it was shot down and the real question was if it was by accident or not. The fact there was no mayday call of any kind and that Iran doesn't want to cough the box up were pretty good clues.

It must be an accident unless Iran's idea of punishing America is killing their own and Canadian and EU citizens. Hopefully some of America's allies will finally open their eyes and see Iran for what they are now. They done goofed and they know it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Iranian Missile System Shot Down Ukraine Flight, Probably by Mistake, Sources Say

https://www.newsweek.com/iranians-shot-down-ukraine-flight-mistake-sources-1481313

Anyone seriously believe this would have happened but for the actions of trump in his authorising of last weeks killing. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, Cryingdick said:

The sole responsibility of this lies with the Iranians alone. They were quick to claim it and now they can own what their great wrath and vengeance has brought them. Don't blame Trump that seemingly the complete and utter incompetence of the Iranian army is the reason they downed that plane. 

This is the pinnacle of the warped thought process a lot of people are exhibiting these days. 

And by the way how is your shares in Boeing going? After they found another fault ?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

And by the way how is your shares in Boeing going? After they found another fault ?

You can dig around if you want (I said somewhere on the forum I was done trading BA) but I got out of Boeing at $375. Luckily enough I used it to buy Apple and Microsoft. I appreciate your concern. 

You will be happy to hear BA has spiked up today now that it is known that this is the work of Iran's buffoonery.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The sole responsibility of this lies with the Iranians alone. They were quick to claim it and now they can own what their great wrath and vengeance has brought them. Don't blame Trump that seemingly the complete and utter incompetence of the Iranian army is the reason they downed that plane. 

This is the pinnacle of the warped thought process a lot of people are exhibiting these days. 

Yeah right, cause the Iranians shoot down passenger planes on a weekly basis, don’t they. 

Oh wait, no they don’t do they, now I wonder what caused them to do so this time?

Why were they so trigger happy?

What could have caused this state of affairs?

Hmm, certainly is a puzzler

21 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

If you hate me and take a gun and try to shoot me but hit the neighbor it isn't my fault. Your thought process is almost verging on the justifications a sociopath would employ. 

Nonsense analogy and nonsense analysis. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I guess I am vindicated when I hypothesized it was shot down and the real question was if it was by accident or not. The fact there was no mayday call of any kind and that Iran doesn't want to cough the box up were pretty good clues.

It must be an accident unless Iran's idea of punishing America is killing their own and Canadian and EU citizens. Hopefully some of America's allies will finally open their eyes and see Iran for what they are now. They done goofed and they know it.

You may be right, but I wouldn't gloat just yet.

The fat lady hasn't even gotten on stage, much less sung.  The plane could have collided with a stealthy drone, or a dozen other possibilities.  Missile wreckage found?  That's an easy plant for a sophisticated intelligence agency.  I'm sure they keep them around for that very purpose...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

You may be right, but I wouldn't gloat just yet.

The fat lady hasn't even gotten on stage, much less sung.  The plane could have collided with a stealthy drone, or a dozen other possibilities.  Missile wreckage found?  That's an easy plant for a sophisticated intelligence agency.  I'm sure they keep them around for that very purpose...

You are speculating way more than I ever was. But yes let's see. Forums aren't a court room and people are allowed opinions. The trend to demand links are being outraged at people giving their thoughts has become tiring. It's just a couple posters sharing ideas.

• Confused 1

Just now, alex8912 said:

Insane comment. 

No, insanity is killing a high ranking general and not expecting a reaction.

Insanity is not admitting that this horrific shooting down of a passenger plane would have been all but unthinkable if not for the actions of trump. 

20 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

You are speculating way more than I ever was. But yes let's see. Forums aren't a court room and people are allowed opinions. The trend to demand links are being outraged at people giving their thoughts has become tiring. It's just a couple posters sharing ideas.

Rather than speculating, I'm just proposing that there are a lot of possibilities.  Given the state of alert at the time, I can imagine there may have been some stealthy aircraft (manned or drones) over Iran that we'd never hear about.  And there are many entities that could have benefited by blaming Iran for a shoot down.  Add the uncertainty about the identity and actual nationalities of the passengers and crew, we will probably never know for sure what happened.