SURVEY: Is gun violence increasing in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Is gun violence increasing in Thailand?  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the past several weeks there have been several threads involving violence in public settings.   There were two incidents of shootings in schools and then more recently a shooting which involved a 2 year old boy at a mall in Lopburi.   In your opinion is Thailand getting more violent and what action do you think needs to be taken?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further reading:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1142560-two-year-old-boy-killed-in-mass-shooting-at-lopburi-shopping-mall/

Thailand has always ranked high in terms of gun related deaths.  Don’t see much change in the stats.

In 2016 Thailand was ranked #11 in the world with around 3800+ deaths.  Brazil and the US take the top spots.

Per capita we aren’t even in the top 25, because many smaller countries especially in Central America like El Salvador have that distinction.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/theres-a-new-global-ranking-of-gun-deaths-heres-where-the-u-s-stands

Thai’s tend to get all riled up and aware about stuff especially if its perpetuated on social media and that has often skewed its significance.  Then with our goldfish memories distracted by playing on our phones we forget about it and move on to the next juicy drama.

Illegal guns (from bordering countries) will always be available eg. Chinese made AK 47’s can be had for as little as 5000 baht.  Just gotta know where to source them, same as that silencer made infamous in the recent gold heist.

Violence is increasing because of several reasons:

1. Social and income disparity. 

2. Disruption taking away certain jobs —> debt and despair

3. Instant gratification society buying stuff they can’t afford—>debt

4. Widespread gambling culture eg. Football betting, online gaming, lottery etc—>debt again

5. Face saving is a big thing in Thai culture—> road rage, arranging dowries and weddings more then you can afford—> debt and more debt

What Thailand needs to do is solve some of the reasons listed above and completely overhaul its face-saving culture.

You will never stop the flow of guns like you can’t stop the flow of drugs but you can lower the potential of abuse.

• Like 1

Every day when I wake up I translate stories for this forum, many of which concern violent crime with guns. Today was just one of those days. 

But....in 35 years in Thailand I have seen a gun drawn once (briefly in Nana Plaza one night). I haven't live a sheltered life. 

I accept that Thailand has, in relation to many countries, a high incidence of gun related crime. But I would say that its incidence has gone down but its reporting has gone up. 

I clicked "No" and would have been amazed if the majority had done likewise. 

Rooster

• Like 2

Apart from our next-door neighbor in the village, who lets off a shotgun during thunderstorms to frighten evil spirits away, I have not seen a firearm being brandished in Thailand in the ten years I have been here.

I'm unlikely to be threatened with one on the roads, because I drive defensively and get out of the way of the idiots.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I clicked "No" and would have been amazed if the majority had done likewise. 

You clicked "no" for a very simple reason; it is very difficult to do worse than Thailand which is already n * 1 in the world ...

Compared to the number of inhabitants, Thailand has five times more deaths by firearm than the USA;
and yet when there is this kind of violent death in the newspapers, we always talk about the USA and rarely or never about Thailand.

20 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

You clicked "no" for a very simple reason; it is very difficult to do worse than Thailand which is already n * 1 in the world ...

Compared to the number of inhabitants, Thailand has five times more deaths by firearm than the USA;
and yet when there is this kind of violent death in the newspapers, we always talk about the USA and rarely or never about Thailand.

According to Wikipedia Gun related deaths in the US is 12.21 per 100,000 the figure for homicides is much lower at 4.46 with the Philippines coming in with 8.9. Coconuts.co states that Thailand has a rate twice as high as the US but appear to be ranking homicides against total deaths from firearms. Dw.com puts Thailand at 7.48. You can never stop gun smuggling for people who want to get them but making it more difficult to obtain a gun saves lives. Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, smileydude said:

Thailand has always ranked high in terms of gun related deaths.  Don’t see much change in the stats.

In 2016 Thailand was ranked #11 in the world with around 3800+ deaths.  Brazil and the US take the top spots.

Per capita we aren’t even in the top 25,

I recall in 2017 being quite surprised that the rate of "Violent Deaths" by firearm between the USA & Thailand was quite close...

Like USA 4.xx per 100,000

Thailand 3.xx per 100,000

So I looked it up & yes it was quite close 4.43 vs 3.71

1.jpg

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

I clicked no, admittedly with  limited knowledge. The only guns I have seen here (other than the cops and soldiers) were at the shooting range, except once some old Thai dude over near Wat Paknam showed me his little pistol when he offered to shoot a Soi dog that menaced me. Nice gesture. I bought him a Coke.

Parenthetically, I would add that being Im not afraid of guns or gun violence here, nor do I fear it in the USA. I dont run in gangs, testosterone drink, testosterone drive, mess with drugs, or go to high crime areas. Folks I hang out with at home have a ton of guns, including machine guns. I used to have a ton of guns, including submachine guns. There is never a gun problem in my view, there is only a criminal problem. The better question here would be is violent crime increasing here, focusing on the perp vis a vis the tool. But I dont know what stats are available. 

With 10+ million registered weapons in Thailand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_in_Thailand) and likely a similar number of unregistered guns, violence is only a petty argument away.

Then there's the 150,000 news guns the RTP received, thanks to Somyot...and the old ones went where?

Crazy to think in a country of 68 Million, there is possibly 1 weapon/3 people!

As in most countries, they simply report more of the incidents in the news manipulating people their small brains. 
In fact, most crimes have been in decline, in most countries around the world.

I very much doubt there is an increase in gun violence, and if there were no guns, it would become knife attacks or worse.
Knowing how many guns there are in Thailand, the amount of incidents are actually very very low.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:43 PM, Inepto Cracy said:

Not increasing, but coming out more and more in open media.

Classic post

Thailand has always had a higher level of violence than popular belief ascribes. Perhaps because of the fine efforts of cultivating appearance, window-dressing that Thai culture values, visitors are oblivious, so to, many expats. Of course it could just be the cumulative effects of climate and culture; the warm weather, the smiles, cute girls, great product branding; IE ‘the land of smiles’, the happy country. Then again all of the above seems to be wearing thin these days, so ....

• Like 1

Most shootings dont get published into English news (thai visa / bangkok post) so expats or tourists who cant read thai miss 90% of all shootings and stabbing other crimes etc that is published in thai only.

The day after or even the same day as the lopburi robbery shooting, in buriram there was a concert, after concert ended shots rang out, 1 dead 11 hurt, nothing in English news (thai visa /bangkok post)

I read thai speaking news everyday, from my perspective shootings have gone down compared to 5 - 10 years ago, it is still high throughout Thailand but calmed down a bit but definitely alot higher than 90% of expats and tourists think.

As they think Europe is very dangerous and high crime rate, much violence but Thailand = very safe country, little to no crime and violence, despite Thailand having more murders than germany,france,uk,spain,italy combined.

• Like 2

I tend to think it's increasing although I don't know that it's a big increase.   I think the increase though is getting more widespread than in the past, by age, by class and economic status.   

Years ago, I only knew a few Thais, and they were generally rather wealthy, who had a gun.   A few village people had hunting-type rifles.   Now, I know a lot of people who have a gun.   I think as people get more money and property, guns have become more popular.