All agencies take measures to contain PM 2.5 airborne dust

rooster59

18 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

None of the measures mentioned concern crop burning. I guess that’s a more difficult target as it doesn’t involve simply setting up a tent at the side of the road waiting for a problem

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has had all 50 of its districts prohibit people from burning anything in the open air

i'd say crops could be loosely described as anything?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

PR 101:

Talk about it during high season, especially January and the February.

Then shelve the project until next December...

Dumb farangs will say, "YES!!!  This year will be different."  

as a Thai climate scientist recently said "Bangkok is lucky. not because they only have pollution for 3 months in a year but because for the other 9, the weather dissipates it"

9 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

This is what we wake up to practically every morning during cane burning season. It is impossible to have the windows or doors open for fresh air. Step outside and your eyes are immediately irritated and your throat rasping. Kids at our local school have constant eye, chest and throat problems.

This goes on for months at a time.

IMG_20200112_073939.jpg

As you have kids, I totally understand your concerns, and I would suggest you read this very smart move in the link by Richard Barrow if you haven't already done so, and then decide if your school would be interested in doing the same.

I am currently looking into how to approach them, because I know Thai's can be apprehensive when ideas come from a farangs, a solution might be to get the wife bat for me after I put it all together, then she can translate it, unbeknown to them it was me, the only thing is will she be able to present it to them as good as me, gotta have faith.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/02/review-of-the-airvisual-pro-air-quality-monitor/

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

None of the measures mentioned concern crop burning. I guess that’s a more difficult target as it doesn’t involve simply setting up a tent at the side of the road waiting for a problem to come to you rather than doing some footwork. Besides, I don’t think any of the above are actually happening. 

Can we start with something even easier?  The leaves and rubbish burning. It's ridiculuous now.  When driving through some very nice estates last week, I noticed that the maintenance/ground staff were burning piles of  trash/leaves/branches etc., all at  estates with significant farang populations. Maybe we need to look at our ownselves too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

All agencies take measures to contain PM 2.5 airborne dust

Speaking especially without any sense seems to be a great ability of these individuals, continue that at this step you will not be able to find any solution, even until the year 2525 !!

6 hours ago, Thian said:

There are also loads of cars and pickups with worn out engines...

Actually they are modified to produce maximum smoke and noise. It's the first thing they do after leaving the slow room floor right after replacing the hood and/or fenders (in black) and installing those cute little blue bars that have no useful purpose. ????

• Haha 1

I drove from Chiang Mai to hua hin and back recently and saw many fires next to the the road. I mean what looked like wild fires. I didn't see anyone trying to put the fires out despite them being visible from the road...

Edited by hobz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mickey rat said:

Actually they are modified to produce maximum smoke and noise. It's the first thing they do after leaving the slow room floor right after replacing the hood and/or fenders (in black) and installing those cute little blue bars that have no useful purpose. ????

Most of them didn't have money for wider fenders, they invested all their cash in wider tires which are outside the vehicle now.

Many pickups here belch black smoke because they blew up the engine during a race but hey little Somchai must do something to attract a girl....there's lots of competition for them especially from old bald fat farang with a big wallet....

27 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

It is okay, some genius will suggest that they turn these on again soon and all will be forgotten in a month or so. 

e0a08fa09f7f29b413c8863566e06a34-sld.jpeg

That's the problem. This is a Mickey Mouse approach. Spraying water into the air won't do s**t. Even a heavy thundershower is not always successful in despersing pollution. They should identify and tackle the source of pollution. That's the only way.

• Like 1

Yeah lets blame the farmers but happily accept another 100,000 combustion engines in the cities.

Lets allow speeding cars and trucks to drive motorcycles and bicycles off the roads with their dangerous speeds and selfish parking

Lets ban electric scooters which could save a car journey

And by the way guys farmers feed you, and the auto industry does exactly what for you?

Oh yes makes you fat and lazy!!

Now careful you don't get stuck in traffic on your drive to the gym guys ????

If you have a motorbike or a car, you know already every year you 

have to pass your vehicle at a technic control to have the insurance 

and the tax sticker for the new year. 

What about a reinforcement of the anti pollution control on all the vehicles?

I mean if you fail the test, no sticker, and then the police need to do his job

and at the controls check points put out of the road each vehicle without a valid sticker.

(Some months ago i have done the road Phuket\Hua hin\Bangkok\Pattaya and i have 

counted 1 army or police check point every 50 kms, with all the vehicles being filtred

It's not too hard to do it if they really want)

For the burning problem what about a ''green number'' where you can

with an anonymous call report someone who burns waste in his garden.

Send a team at the adress first time an oral and writing warning and

the second time fine him with a huge amount, of course you have to pay

on the spot or you are entered in the public data and unable to obtain something

from the administration (ID card, passport, driving licence and so on) until you have paid (Because most of the Thais don't bother to pay their fines.)

The problem should be solved quickly.

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

If you have a motorbike or a car, you know already every year you 

have to pass your vehicle at a technic control to have the insurance 

and the tax sticker for the new year. 

What about a reinforcement of the anti pollution control on all the vehicles?

I mean if you fail the test, no sticker, and then the police need to do his job

and at the controls check points put out of the road each vehicle without a valid sticker.

(Some months ago i have done the road Phuket\Hua hin\Bangkok\Pattaya and i have 

counted 1 army or police check point every 50 kms, with all the vehicles being filtred

It's not too hard to do it if they really want)

For the burning problem what about a ''green number'' where you can

with an anonymous call report someone who burns waste in his garden.

Send a team at the adress first time an oral and writing warning and

the second time fine him with a huge amount, of course you have to pay

on the spot or you are entered in the public data and unable to obtain something

from the administration (ID card, passport, driving licence and so on) until you have paid (Because most of the Thais don't bother to pay their fines.)

The problem should be solved quickly.

You would need to get the cops off their asses. How you gonna do that?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bangkok is not the entirety of Thailand - there are many other regions in the country experiencing the same problems with PM 2.5.  Are there any plans to combat this?  Banning, and enforcing the ban on agricultural burning would be a major improvement.  Removing all the black-smoke belching vehicles from the road would be a wise second step. 

• Like 1