Thousands join Thai anti-government run, while rival camp pushes back

webfact

Just now, ChrisY1 said:

Yesterday, the international media reported huge crowds at Thanathorn' rally....whilst much smaller groups had gathered for Prayuth....the Thai media has obviously been instructed how to report

100% correct. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Yesterday, the international media reported huge crowds at Thanathorn' rally....whilst much smaller groups had gathered for Prayuth....the Thai media has obviously been instructed how to report

Indeed, Don't pay too much attention to BBC news but they got the numbers estimated at 10,000 for the "run against dictatorship" and around 3000 for walk in support of Prayuth.

• Like 1

My comments are:

1. These political things spoil my fun. Demonstrations in Lumpini make the lizards hide. And Im too fat to run if folks start lobbing tear gas.

2. What Thais do with their government is their business. Since I am not Thai, dont speak Thai and understand only the surface of Thai culture, me commenting on their politics is silly, especially when my politics are steeped in western liberal thought.

3. It would help me, as a casual reader of these threads, if folks commenting would at least indicate whether they are fluent in Thai AND have lived here for say more than 20 years so I can sort of sort out (damn thats a good one!) who is worth reading. Because if either or both of those criteria  dont exist, its just random uniformed bitsnbytes that are meaningless except to the ego needs of the poster. 

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

2. What Thais do with their government is their business. Since I am not Thai, dont speak Thai and understand only the surface of Thai culture, me commenting on their politics is silly, especially when my politics are steeped in western liberal thought.

As long as the sun's shining and the pretties are smiling, I don't care which wealthy criminal extorts the country.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Lots of photos of the runners. Where is the photos of the 13,000 rent a  crowd supporting little Mr P??

It's nonsense.

No International news source quotes more than 3000 for them.

Khaosod:

"An official count by the police put the figure at 8,000."

Of course it is highly unlikely that the police would underestimate the "runners" and overestimate the "walkers".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As long as the sun's shining and the pretties are smiling, I don't care which wealthy criminal extorts the country.

As long as the Baht drops to its 10-year average, I won’t give a rat’s a$$ about Thai politics.  ‘Course I won’t hold my breath for that happening under this regime.

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Police estimated 12,750 attended.

Seems to me the police would lean towards supporting the love uncle gathering including understestimating the numbers at the remove uncle gathering.

Anybody see any other estimates?

Police are Thaksins gang, Army are Prayuts gang.

So you'd be 100% wrong.

Reporting the numbers would be the media gang, which is usually run by the government in power at the moment and applies to nearly every country in the world. At best their motives are 'how far can we go before we get shut down'. Which seems to me completely appropriate for the numbers they just published.

Edited by BritManToo

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah dude, I stay informed as to my countries politics. Sometimes I pay attention to the UK because you guys speak English and England swings like the pendulum do; other than that and in general who is shooting who, my focus (other than on fine wine, supermodels, bugattis, yachts and weed) is on what Im gonna have for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Hey look, the Thais are protesting. Yeah, what about? I dont know, I dont speak Thai. 

Have at it boys and girls, let me know when the fighting starts so I can avoid that area. And stay out of the parks for god sake!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Police are Thaksins gang, Army are Prayuts gang.

So you'd be 100% wrong.

Reporting the numbers would be the media gang, which is usually run by the government in power at the moment and applies to nearly every country in the world. At best their motives are 'how far can we go before we get shut down'. Which seems to me completely appropriate for the numbers they just published.

?

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Is there anything else posters can do for 'you'? 

Well yeah, now that you ask, Villa Market has USA Prime Tomahawks, could you or someone else pick one up for me?

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Isn't that why people are running against the government - because the government isn't including them.

I have no idea. I dont speak Thai.

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Stifling, curbing and eroding their rights and free speech.

"rights" and "free speech" are a uniquely American concept. The EU does not have "free speeech"  for example. So because I dont speak Thai and am an infant in Thai culture, I have no idea what kind of "free speech" protesters are looking for. I know the newspapers here are pretty "free". In fact, the demonstrations themselves show "free speech" do they not? The nuances arent my business.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You don't need any qualifications to understand why 'human beings' would be against this. Just a little empathy. 

My empathy is reserved first for my family and next for my country. I feel bad when lots of folks are made slaves by ruthless murderous dictators, or thrown into camps, or murdered, but thats not happening here is it? China maybe.

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

If you don't like people commenting on things because you think it's none of their business, then lead by example; don't comment. 

I dont care one way or the other. However, I think that informed comment is better than uniformed, dont you?

10 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

The only people who fear a battle of ideas are people who have something to hide. 

Well thats kind of meaningless in this context, but OK, you gave us a good soundbite!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm very interested to see Thailand come out of it's haitus and develop, especially in terms of reducing the gap, better quality equal education and opportunity for all Thais, fair equal justice for all Thais and to move quickly towards real democracy. 

Well you have been seeing that for 30 years, yes? I have.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well yeah, now that you ask, Villa Market has USA Prime Tomahawks, could you or someone else pick one up for me?

I have no idea. I dont speak Thai.

"rights" and "free speech" are a uniquely American concept. The EU does not have "free speeech"  for example. So because I dont speak Thai and am an infant in Thai culture, I have no idea what kind of "free speech" protesters are looking for. I know the newspapers here are pretty "free". In fact, the demonstrations themselves show "free speech" do they not? The nuances arent my business.

My empathy is reserved first for my family and next for my country. I feel bad when lots of folks are made slaves by ruthless murderous dictators, or thrown into camps, or murdered, but thats not happening here is it? China maybe.

I dont care one way or the other. However, I think that informed comment is better than uniformed, dont you?

Well thats kind of meaningless in this context, but OK, you gave us a good soundbite!

I stopped reading at Villa Market.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes there have been some small steps forward in the last 30 years but IMHO the steps need to be much larger and quicker.

I dont know, they seem to be doing well compared to the USA and UK in terms of developing a democracy "quicker". Remember things like the Gordon Riots and the Whiskey Rebellion, two that just pop into my head.

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I stopped reading at Villa Market.

Thank god, I initially promised you $1000 USD to refute my points but needed the cash for something else, so I edited it out. Wheew.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Thank god, I initially promised you $1000 USD to refute my points but needed the cash for something else, so I edited it out. Wheew.

Yes, you don't speak Thai. If only there was a form of media that reported local news in English. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont know, they seem to be doing well compared to the USA and UK in terms of developing a democracy "quicker". Remember things like the Gordon Riots and the Whiskey Rebellion, two that just pop into my head.

When reading those two references in the same sentence, it gave me the impression it could have been the Gordons Dry Gin riots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1