Thai govt calls on farmers to stop growing rice in off-season

webfact

Quite how the "Farmers" could get any water to grow rice is beyond me - & they know it!

Sure there are a few who live where they can steal water from rivers, look at a map of Isaan, there are no rivers! The reservoirs with any water are not releasing any for cultivation so not going to be very difficult to refrain from growing rice is it!

Government PR - look at us - we really are doing something!

"Watch" this space for further useless PR, attention diverting, guess they can't divert attention this year when they do nothing about the atrocious AQ, as no water to make useless gesture by spraying water!

• Like 2

Asking 10's of thousands of rice farmers to immediately switch to another crop is unrealistic. It takes time to prepare land for something new and it may not even be suitable for something different.

What the Govt are really saying is give up half your annual income and offering next to nothing in return.

6 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Yeah buts let’s have a week long Water fight Songkran , moronic

Not another one that wants to rewrite history and considers that stopping Songkran will make even the slightest difference! ???? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Better get up here in Isan quick then as it's looming up in the paddies around me and they are, of course, pumping water in to boot.

Where in Isan are you? where is the water coming from? I am in Isan and any direction I drive in it is dry & dusty!

41 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

The result of which will be the same as when the Government told farmers to stop burning fields, stop using chemicals, stop riding in the back of pick ups, stop drinking and driving, stop underage riders, stop driving the wrong way, stop double parking, stop using illegal lights, stop, stop, stop, stop.........

……..teen pregnancy!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Pay the farmers NOT to grow rice

Yep that's the answer..they do that in Europe..just cancel the submarines they would have more than enough money..or use the billions of amassed foreign currency reserves which might also lower the Baht.

• Like 1