My Kbank Experience

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Based on this thread - Take the Passport with which you opened your account (even if its an old unused passport which has since been renewed). 

While there change your ‘ID details’ to your Pink ID card (your number should never change), so you don’t have the same issues when you change your passport and the number changes (unless you are from a country where your passport number never changes). 

Regarding the Credit Card (secured deposit etc) I simply have a second card on my Wife’s account (i.e. my Wife is the primary CitiBank Credit Card holder, I am issued a second card - its no different from having my own card. 

[the irony is, I’m the primary earner, my Wife is the primary card holder !]

I have on in my wife's name same same. But Krunthai tell you have to renew it every 6 months. such a load of BS. 

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My last encounter was a boiled anger one that I got up and walked out. this should be fun now that have pink card and yellow book.,

If the pink card and the yellow book don't impress them, tell them you're a TVF member, that ought to do it!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I disagree.

As a UK citizen, I have never ever had an issue with a UK bank. Super easy to do everything. When I was buying my house I had to go in and do a CHAPS transfer to my solicitor of about 75k GBP - took 2 minutes.

I can deposit money to anyone's account for which I have the account number and sort code, and don't need to show ID.

I can withdraw cash from my account over the counter with a driving license. Also takes only a minute or two.

To get a new ATM card I either click a button online or make a phone call, card arrives at my house a couple of days later - zero paperwork.

Compare that to Thai banks - whatever you want to do it is always a huge uphill struggle.

But you are comparing being a citizen of the UK and using a UK bank to being a non Thai using a Thai bank. Incomparable.

I can tell you now, personal experience from yesterday, that a non UK citizen has to show more documentation to open a UK bank account than a UK citizen does.

• Unfortunately, the arctic climate, the miserable faces and the general air of negativity always spring to mind when I think of good old blighty!!!
  • It's the daily cold sideways rain I couldn't stand, and the grey sky when it wasn't raining.

I dont mind it for a few months bored witless with the blue skies since october here in Prachuap and limited water Ugh!

Dudleys ok .....watching the Wolves,..... it  never rains in the pub..... shopping for clothes that fit ..bliss

Plus i've  got a mate in the welsh mountains i can visit to go worrying sheep???? and a visit to delightful french friends in Sete the south france for a drop of wine????

• Like 2

My KBank experience getting the new chip based ATM card was fairly efficient, took about 15 minutes and I used my new passport only, they never mentioned the old one I opened the account with. No copies of anything were asked of. A few oddities however:

1. I went in December when the old ATM card still worked saying I needed a new card as the ATM machines keep telling me to renew. So the KBank service staff kept asking me why I wanted to update my old card if it was still working? Eventually they relented.

2. They said a new card would cost me 300THB, I said they already charge me 200THB annual card fees? In the end I was charged 150THB and there was no annual card fee this year, so I saved 50THB!

3. It took several attempts at matching the signature in my bank book that was several years old to what I scrawl today.

I had the same answer when I've been to Kasikorn to get my atm card,need to see old passport of 2007 my answer I don't have it anymore,the official took it when I renewed my passport,then she said you need to go Bangkok at the Canadian embassy to have the history of your past passport, that was in Rayong branch,so 2 weeks later I was in Chanthaburi so I give it a try and there nothing ask and receive my new atm card....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My K-bank and BB atm cards both expired last Sept. In anticipation for renewal, I took both my current and expired passport with me. My first stop was at BB's main branch in Surin. They updated my account information and I signed the two passport photocopies, entered a 6 digit pin twice and then was handed a MC debit card. Left BB, crossed over the street and walked 2 minutes south to K-Bank. The process was the same plus I also updated my mobile number. Total time spent at both banks was less then the 45 minute round-trip drive.

• Like 1

If you're lazy like me, It is is possible to use

K bank solely electronically,

I just transfer money to the Missus account,

so that she collects from the bank..and nobody

wants to argue at their peril with her.

Its always a relief when returns from the bank.

2 minutes ago, rocket3rider said:

I said OK, no problem, I'll just sit here and wait till the money is back in my account and I'm not leaving this chair until you give me back MY money lost because of YOUR mistake.

I would have suggested they call the police, and have an officer come to the bank to take my report of stolen money, and their explanation of how it happened.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would have suggested they call the police, and have an officer come to the bank to take my report of stolen money, and their explanation of how it happened.

Exactly, I would have gone to the police first and have them accompany to the branch.

Almost certainly the teller pocketed the card and watched you enter the pin.

Edited by SteveK

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The land of inconsistency, I got a letter from KBank to change my card. I went in, with bankbook and passport.

Showed the letter handed over docs, signed ONE piece of paper and she wanted to charge me for the card? I said nope, it's your system that requires the change not me.

I then asked for the Manager, not available was the response, I want an appointment to see the Manager, don't know when he'll be here !! I replied "nonsense, I'll go wait in his office then''' ? realising I wasn't going to give in, she gets up and walks over to an older lady who returned with her, signed a piece of paper and pronounced "no charge sir"and gave me the card and I left. 20 minutes and all done.

Ten you are a lucky guy, my card was valid until 02 Feb, so I went to Kasikorn bank Nerp Plub Wan together with my wife ( she lost here's) and ask for new card,after a few signatures I had my card but she pointed out at commercial paper at her desk, with different cards en prices, mine was 300 baht, but she said I only have to pay 200,so not for free like you had, and surprise surprise my wife even had to pay 300 baht,so cheeper for the farang,amazing.

Guys,

My card stopped working as I found out topping up my viber phone account and also it was declined at Big C. I went to Krung Thai bank YESTERDAY and reported it. I was informed that it was because of the new six digit pin system that was now in effect. My old card did have a chip by the way.

They recommended I upgraded to the new Palladium card with life cover, hospital cover and a higher limit for cash withdrawals of 150,000 baht per day. I accepted and parted company with 1699 baht for the card. Nice card though!....I think this is a yearly fee!

I don't care as I never queue in Krung Thai bank and get VIP treatment ahead of regular customers with having a KTC black card. It's worth 1700 baht a year to queue jump!

Next, I crossed over the road to SCB bank. I hardly use this account but wanted them to cease the SMS messages and deducting 20 baht which has gone on for four years now. Like other posters, I was sent away to get my passport original as they wanted to copy it. My phone copy, driving license and pink ID would not do. I returned with passport. The passport differed from the one I opened the account with. I told her the previous passport was lost.

I, with my other half, then proceeded to explain very jovially, so much so the lady manager joined in, about the merits of using my pink ID which number would never change as long as I was here on retirement extensions. Also, I told them I traveled a lot and filled up and changed passports a great deal, way before their expiry date.

They agreed!

They also found a way to change the system to not require the lost passport and then put in my pink ID card details and the computer accepted this. So now, at SCB at least, my account is linked to my pink ID and not to a passport.

I did have to sign about thirteen pieces of paper and a copy of my passport to finally stop the 20 baht fees and constant SMS's.

So there you go guys, it can be done and an actual use for the bloody pink ID card.

11 hours ago, geronimo said:

I must have been a nasty xxxx in my previous life. On reflection, a letter from TVF confirming my POTY status would've cleared this up!

I just showed my retirement stamps next to my extensions in my passport when I opened my last account at K-Bank. Customer service was totally happy with that as proof of retirement. No fuzz what so ever. 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

To the OP - the people you spoke with don't make the rules and I have no doubt that they find them as ridiculous as you do. The country is a lunatic asylum, there is no common sense and the people who make the rules are answerable to no-one. Come to terms with that and you'll be okay. I struggle with that though, and if I wasn't married I'd be out of here on the next plane and never return.

Can't take the wife with you?

25 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I just showed my retirement stamps next to my extensions in my passport when I opened my last account at K-Bank. Customer service was totally happy with that as proof of retirement. No fuzz what so ever. 

I'm on a multiple entry for marriage.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

To the OP - the people you spoke with don't make the rules and I have no doubt that they find them as ridiculous as you do. The country is a lunatic asylum, there is no common sense and the people who make the rules are answerable to no-one. Come to terms with that and you'll be okay. I struggle with that though, and if I wasn't married I'd be out of here on the next plane and never return.

Oddly enough, the people we speak to nearly always make the rules.

If someone at head office made the rules, they would all be the same.

57 minutes ago, emptypockets said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Can't take the wife with you?

Would you rip your wife away from her family and friends? Make her live in a foreign country?