What are the Good and Bad Points of having a Yellow Book?

Yes agree to all the above posts, however my yellow tabien baan took like 6 months to finally get, because the head of the housebooks was enforcing a "charge" of 5.000 baht which I REFUSED big time to pay. He kept my readymade yellow book all this time, until I was sick of it and forced my wife to bring my brother in law, a thai, that is a headmaster of a school here, he came dressed in his most fancy uniform, and I got the book less then 3 minutes later. I thank the <deleted> for letting me wait 6 months and told him right out loud in the office there, that I NEVER would have paid him a <deleted> nor the 5.000 baht.... That <deleted> was sacked one month later and forced into retirement....

So for me I hve had good use of this yellow housebook in different circumstances, and also enabled me to get my pink Bat bah cha chon (ID card)...

glegolo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Got mine several years ago took 20 minutes. Cannot see and have not encountered anything negative about possessing one.

Mine took a month, maybe because I got it from the municipality and not the Amphoe..  

First visit with basic documents and learning about additional requirements,  i.e. need for 2 witnesses instead of one.. second visit with witnesses 3 days later  third visit a month later when the book came back from Bangkok (they said they had to send it there for cross-check).

They lady who took care of the process was friendly and seemed to know what she needed, but time it took.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fourpack said:

I second the first response but will say my process of getting the house book was very easy. As usual depends on where you live.

But all positive from me.

Same for me, negligible cost in both time and money. No downside and both useful in lots of ways. A driving licence sometimes works too but not as often as yellow book and pink card.

• Like 1

I got mine at the Amphur on Thong-lo and it didn't take that long, they also noticed that there was a spelling name mistake on daughters birth ceertificate, so they corrected and gave me a new laminated birth certificate. Also it didn't cost me anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Udon Thani, Yellow Book FREE, Pink Card 30 Baht, took me 1 week as the paperwork at the time needed to go to Bangkok for review.

Bull shyt. Cost Khwaibah 1200 baht !!! ????

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Both the Yellow Book and Pink ID card a free

Bull shyt. Cost me 1200 baht.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bull shyt. Cost Khwaibah 1200 baht !!! ????

Just goes to show you, all is different.  I have had mine for almost 10 years. Pink Card expires this July.

Edited by ThailandRyan

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was taking the pish out of Khwaibah who paid 1200 baht for his called BS on my comments that my Yellow Book and Pink ID card were free (I got them this week) - he obviously struggles to understand that someone experiences are different, so they had to be lying !

I think he’s [Khwaibah] the only one so far who has paid for his Yellow Book, everyone else seems to have paid a tiny amount for their Pink ID card (20-60 baht), it may be that they just forgot to charge me for mine this week. 

Personally, I have no issues paying a nominal amount for either - its the extortionate amount for the Affirmation of Residency letter from my Embassy that I object to and was the main drive in me getting the Yellow Tambien Baan Book and Pink ID. 

Yes, but how much was your Embassy certified copy and translation at MFA ?

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Back when I did it I just gave them the copy in English and a certified and notarized translated copy of my passport ID page, and the VISA Sticker and Extension of stay.  Translated in Udon Thani at Prachoom Wittaya School for 200 baht who then sent it off to the MFA for 120 baht.  That took a week, then of course the other week for the whole package to go to Bangkok.  So a grand total of 350 baht.  I know because I still have all the receipts, I keep a paper trail, can never trust government officials.  No Embassy certified copy needed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Embassy Certified Copy of Passport: 2400 baht *(about, can’t remember exactly)

Translation and MFA verification: 800 baht (including postage fees - 2 days)

So its still more cost effective than 2x Affirmation of Residence letter from the Embassy: 2600 each (I needed two as photocopy’s not accepted). *(again, about, as I can’t remember exactly)

I can reuse the Yellow Book / Pink ID over the coming years, when I want a new car, motorcycle etc.. 

In the past 5 years I’ve needed the Affirmation of Residence Letter 4 times I think. 

There’s definitely a cost and convenience saving with the getting the Yellow Tambien Baan and Pink ID. 

But it is a pain in the backside having to get the paperwork done etc and involves a bit of leg work and having to jump through bureaucratic hoops, but once done that is.

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Embassy Certified Copy of Passport: 2400 baht. 

Translation and MFA verification: 800 baht

Affirmation of Residence letter from Embassy: 2600 each (I needed two as photocopy’s not accepted).

I can reuse the Yellow Book / Pink ID over the coming years, when I want a new car, motorcycle etc.. 

In the past 5 years I’ve needed the Affirmation of Residence Letter 4 times I think. 

There’s definitely a cost and convenience saving with the getting the Yellow Tambien Baan and Pink ID. 

But it is a pain in the backside having to get the paperwork done etc and involves a bit of leg work and having to jump through bureaucratic hoops, but once done that is.

Yes, the reason I asked was my yellow book “ campaign “ was a farce.

Went to Amphur ( where gf’s blue book was issued ) told by the lady there that would need a certified copy of my passport from British Embassy then translated at MFA.

Got the copy and while at MFA my gf had to call the Amphur ( don’t remember why ) , the lady then said I needed a translation of my birth certificate also !!

Luckily I had an original birth certificate with me and the Amphur would accept a translation only ( no certified copy ).

Back to Amphur to have a meeting with headman there, he studied the documents with a stoney face and said “ I now need a certified copy and MFA translation of your decree nisi !!

Not wanting another trip to BKK and the expense that goes with it I gathered my docs said “ kop khun khrap “ and left .

He is probably still waiting for my return 2 1/2 years later ????

My Immigration Office gives me residence certificates on the spot and free so I don’t miss YB or pink card.

I think I paid 1015 baht at the Embassy and 450 ( ish ) at MFA including postage.