800,000 baht 90 days after extension

On 1/31/2020 at 10:24 AM, Jaxxper said:

At Jomtien it’s 90 days after the approval of the new extension. They give you a form with the report date on it. 

I am really surprised because I did it in Chiang Mai and they didn't hand me any form with report date.

My 3 months has already passed.

Guess they will only check it when I renew in 9 months time.

Edited by EricTh

any activity on your bank account will be shown on your updated bankbook on the date of that activity with an entry - debit or deposit, this will clearly show in your book if you have complied with the 800/400 deposit requirement - am I missing something

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

any activity on your bank account will be shown on your updated bankbook on the date of that activity with an entry - debit or deposit, this will clearly show in your book if you have complied with the 800/400 deposit requirement - am I missing something

No. There has been chat about the few rogue offices that were asking folk to return to immigration 3 months after extension was granted to show bank book compliance. eg Jomtien. 

Recent reports seem to suggest they have eased up on this. Should never have been requesting that in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, smedly said:

Yes you are. 

If you do not update your book at reasonably short intervals then activity is often lumped together into a single entry then there can have been many transactions entered as 1, so your bank book may not show that, for example, your balance dropped to 399,600 for a day or two due to an ATM card fee. That is almost certainly why the bank statements are required in (some/all) offices  as the statement does show every transaction and the account balance after each one.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Recent reports seem to suggest they have eased up on this. Should never have been requesting that in the first place.

There could be a generous interpretation of the report requirement, that almost certainly people would now be very aware of the minimum amounts requirements so less likely to accidentally drop under the balance requirement, as they may have been doing for many years before.

Now that would mean that immigration officers actually actively try to be kind, something that is seldom demonstrated as true, but possible.

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes you are. 

If you do not update your book at reasonably short intervals then activity is often lumped together into a single entry then there can have been many transactions entered as 1, so your bank book may not show that, for example, your balance dropped to 399,600 for a day or two due to an ATM card fee. That is almost certainly why the bank statements are required in (some/all) offices  as the statement does show every transaction and the account balance after each one.

Which banks would that be. I have 3 bank accounts. Whenever I actually deal with teller the bankbook updates every single activity into bankbook. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There could be a generous interpretation of the report requirement, that almost certainly people would now be very aware of the minimum amounts requirements so less likely to accidentally drop under the balance requirement, as they may have been doing for many years before.

Now that would mean that immigration officers actually actively try to be kind, something that is seldom demonstrated as true, but possible.

It would not be kind if it required a long trip to imm office and/or your old or don't have easy transport options. Certainly having folk return after 3 months to show funds not below 800k cannot be regarded as helpful in anyone's wildest dreams.

I would suggest it's just looney tune made up rubbish by Jomtien.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which banks would that be. I have 3 bank accounts. Whenever I actually deal with teller the bankbook updates every single activity into bankbook. 

Almost every one AFIK, if you do not go into the branch with your book to make each transaction and there has been some time, maybe more than 6 months, and some reasonable number of transactions on the account in the meantime, certainly SCB Bangkok bank and Kasikorn have done that in my books.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

20 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Almost every one AFIK, if you do not go into the branch with your book to make each transaction and there has been some time, maybe more than 6 months, and some reasonable number of transactions on the account in the meantime, certainly SCB Bangkok bank and Kasikorn have done that in my books.

Strange. My bank (the light blue one) shows every single transaction when I actually attend the bank. Sometimes it's a page of updated transactions.

So how does immigration check that minimum deposit levels were maintained if using money in bank method if all transactions not listed.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An ATM will consolidate transactions to fit the available space on the page.

A teller can manually update all transaction, turning the page if required.

I just update my Savings account Passbook at Bangkok bank, in branch, from October last year.

The teller printed one page, flipped over and printed again detailing every transaction from Oct, so I concur with DrJack54.

I might add, that if I were on an extension based on retirement and subject to those required financials,

I'd have 400K in a 6 month fixed term account and 400K in a 12 month fixed term account.

Better interest rates, no worries about overdrawing and no constant passbook updates.

If you have to keep minimums in a Thai account choose one that makes your funds work for you.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Strange. My bank (the light blue one) shows every single transaction when I actually attend the bank. Sometimes it's a page of updated transactions.

So how does immigration check that minimum deposit levels were maintained if using money in bank method if all transactions not listed.

Order a 12 month bank statement …… more hassle.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Only if one remembers to update the book quite regularly. If you leaves it too long, a consolidated one line entry replaces perhaps a few pages. There is also the possibility the update machine screws up, as it did for me, and for  darned FD book too. Only 2 entries each year and the crazy thing printed the latter right over the previous!

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Only if one remembers to update the book quite regularly. If you leaves it too long, a consolidated one line entry replaces perhaps a few pages. There is also the possibility the update machine screws up, as it did for me, and for  darned FD book too. Only 2 entries each year and the crazy thing printed the latter right over the previous!

Oh ?

doesn't affect me I guess as I use my Thai bank account every month in branch (no atm card as I prefer not to have one)

Just now, smedly said:

Oh ?

doesn't affect me I guess as I use my Thai bank account every month in branch (no atm card as I prefer not to have one)

You got it covered. I used to  put my book away the day after I got my extension and dusted it off a year later! Of course, with the need to show that the 800k/400k is maintained now, I have had to change my habits. 

13 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

An ATM will consolidate transactions to fit the available space on the page.

A teller can manually update all transaction, turning the page if required.

I just update my Savings account Passbook at Bangkok bank, in branch, from October last year.

The teller printed one page, flipped over and printed again detailing every transaction from Oct, so I concur with DrJack54.

The bank book update machines are perfectly capable of turning the pages, or spitting the book out for you to turn the page.

Every bulk update single line entry has been done by teller. This procedure has been happening occasionally for the last 40 years in all the banks I have used during that period. I can’t tell what the criteria are or if they have changed from time to time, it could have to do with the 6 month limit to an immediate printout from you local branch. If that is the case the October is within that time frame.

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The bank book update machines are perfectly capable of turning the pages, or spitting the book out for you to turn the page.

Every bulk update single line entry has been done by teller. This procedure has been happening occasionally for the last 40 years in all the banks I have used during that period. I can’t tell what the criteria are or if they have changed from time to time, it could have to do with the 6 month limit to an immediate printout from you local branch. If that is the case the October is within that time frame.

40 years! That must be a record. 

I can only claim 7. 

For every extension I take my bankbook week or so to bank to have teller update. Every single transaction is entered into bankbook. I then attend imm for my bank letter etc for extension. A bulk update would be pointless esp with new reg for money in the bank method.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

40 years! That must be a record. 

That is 40 years of banking here, not extensions. ???? AFIR my first or second account was Thai Farmers bank and one of my ATM cards is older than quite a few of the bank staff, though it may stop working with the switch to chip cards.

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You got it covered. I used to  put my book away the day after I got my extension and dusted it off a year later! Of course, with the need to show that the 800k/400k is maintained now, I have had to change my habits. 

Why? My bank lists EVERY single deposit and withdrawal whenever I attend a teller and present bankbook. BTW I do that couple of times per year. My Thai gf the same. Help me out forum am I missing something here.

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well no, that is what the 1 year bank statement is for as they always show every transaction. 

You don't need it. Your bankbook will show complete 12 month history. 

As I previously stated my bankbook shows EVERY entry for previous 12 months. 

Along with bank letter that simple confirms account in my name. 

Your suggesting I need one year bank statement from bank???

Surely not. Because that is not required.

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well no, that is what the 1 year bank statement is for as they always show every transaction. 

What actually is "1 year bank statement.."

What about folk using FD account with 800+ 

This thread clearly was about money in bank method and not income method

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't need it. Your bankbook will show complete 12 month history. 

That depends on the immigration office you go to. Some offices require 

1) bankbook Updated on the day

2) bank letter confirming the account is yours and the current bal

3) bank statement covering the relevant pre-application period.

if you have an office like that your bank book is not sufficient.

What you believe makes no difference if you are required to provide a bank statement. The possible requirement is in the wording “THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR ANY OTHER DOCUMENTATION NOT INCLUDED IN THE LIST”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What actually is "1 year bank statement.."

It is a bank statement covering 1 year! What else would it be?

since the new rules for money in the bank requirements are for minimum balances throughout the year it is probable that you will have to prove that, hence the possible  requirement for a bank statement covering that period.

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

List the imm office that require that for extension based on retirement.

I'm thinking there is ~80 office.

CW does not require that.

Sounds maybe your imm office does. Which office would that be?

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Stop. Which imm office is requiring one year bank statement to satisfy extension based on retirement. I do not doubt it as many rogue office in Thailand.

My pet hate is Jomtien asking folk to report back to show funds maintained 3 months post extension approval. Side note they seem to have backed up on that nonsense.

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

List the imm office that require that for extension based on retirement.

I'm thinking there is ~80 office.

CW does not require that.

Sounds maybe your imm office does. Which office would that be?

As there have not been confirmed reports of anyone renewing the extension under the new rules yet (there are a few weeks before people are certain to be doing that) I cannot categorically state that it will be required however Udon immigration have been requiring statements for all classes of extension for a while. 

Once there has been an extension under the new requirements and it’s been reported I can update.