800,000 baht 90 days after extension

A quick question on this: does the 800,000 baht have to remain in the bank for 90 days after the extension was agreed or 90 days from the starting date of the extension?

If the former, not a problem, if the latter it could be a bit tight as I've had some unanticipated expenditure. It won't be a problem as I'll just bite the bullet and draw out a couple of week's cash from my UK bank but only if I really need to.

The former. 

After the extension was granted. 

But it's really a good question and it wouldn't shock me if some offices interpret it differently. 

I just did my 90 day show money thing at Jomtien and the date was definitely based on the extension granting date not the expiration date. 

• Thanks 2

When you report on your first 90 days to immigration take your updated bank book showing 800,000 I don’t know what you do if you do online 90 day reporting . When I did mine the IO asked to see my updated bank book that was on Koh Samui 

11 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

When you report on your first 90 days to immigration take your updated bank book showing 800,000 I don’t know what you do if you do online 90 day reporting . When I did mine the IO asked to see my updated bank book that was on Koh Samui 

90 day report has nothing to do with the few rogue offices that are asking people to return 3 months after the granting of their extension to show funds in account.

• Like 2

I just renewed my 1 year extension of a Retirement visa at the Sri Racha Imm. office, based on 800K in my bank. I was given a form indicating that I have an "appointment" to come to their office 90 days from the date that my extension was approved. (The form does say "90 days bank checking", but ironically the date they set is slightly less than 90 days. More ironically, the appointment date they wrote is on a Sunday!)

There is a good chance that I will not be in Thailand on that date. What will they do if I do not report to their office in 90 days/ 3 months? AFAIK, there is no actual Imm. regulation which requires me to report my bank balance after three months- only the requirement that my funds not drop below 800K during the following three months (not 90 days.)

My question is- what (if anything) will likely happen if I do not appear at their office on or around the date specified because I am not in Thailand on that date? TIA for your answers.

Bernie

Edited by berniept

8 minutes ago, berniept said:

I just renewed my 1 year extension of a Retirement visa at the Sri Racha Imm. office, based on 800K in my bank. I was given a form indicating that I have an "appointment" to come to their office 90 days from the date that my extension was approved. (The form does say "90 days bank checking", but ironically the date they set is slightly less than 90 days. More ironically, the appointment date they wrote is on a Sunday!)

There is a good chance that I will not be in Thailand on that date. What will they do if I do not report to their office in 90 days/ 3 months? AFAIK, there is no actual Imm. regulation which requires me to report my bank balance after three months- only the requirement that my funds not drop below 800K during the following three months (not 90 days.)

My question is- what (if anything) will likely happen if I do not appear at their office on or around the date specified because I am not in Thailand on that date? TIA for your answers.

Bernie

Show when you return. 

The normal 90 day report, which can be done online, does NOT require your bank book or proof of funds.

the proof of funds 90 day report is only a one time report, 90 days after your retirement extension etc. But do make sure you get your bank book updated at the bank on that dayas they will not accept it if this is not done.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, Jingthing said:

The former. 

After the extension was granted. 

But it's really a good question and it wouldn't shock me if some offices interpret it differently. 

I just did my 90 day show money thing at Jomtien and the date was definitely based on the extension granting date not the expiration date. 

You need the 800k in your bank 2 months prior to the day you apply for the extension. So, it has to be 90 days after the day of application = 800k 2+3 months in the bank. 

38 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You need the 800k in your bank 2 months prior to the day you apply for the extension. So, it has to be 90 days after the day of application = 800k 2+3 months in the bank. 

Yes.

So now after the rather extreme changes last year the 800K lockup needs to cover five months for all applications (instead of previously two or three depending if it was first time or subsequent) and ALSO 400K needs to be locked up for the remainder of the year. Thai immigration -- hub of hoops to jump through. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

So now after the rather extreme changes last year the 800K lockup needs to cover five months for all applications (instead of previously two or three depending if it was first time or subsequent) and ALSO 400K needs to be locked up for the remainder of the year. Thai immigration -- hub of hoops to jump through. 

One might say only if one intends to renew! Even that has yet to be tested. At the moment only Jomtiem and (is it Udon?) need to show the 3 months, 800k, post renewal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

One might say only if one intends to renew! Even that has yet to be tested. At the moment only Jomtiem and (is it Udon?) need to show the 3 months, 800k, post renewal. 

I think it's very clear that failure to comply with all the bank rules would at the very least mean a rejection of the next annual extension application. Could even be worse though. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's very clear that failure to comply with all the bank rules would at the very least mean a rejection of the next annual extension application. Could even be worse though. 

How could it be worse. Clearly if someone accidentally slips below required amounts according to the rules (and that will happen)  then they would simply not attend imm to apply for next extension. 

It would be time to think about a new non o.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

When I renewed in Sept 2019, the Udon official 'told me' to keep the 800k in my account for 3 months after renewal.....no paperwork saying so.  I subsequently did my 90 day in person in Dec......business as usual......no one asked for any bank papers.  It's possible they'll want to check when I renew again later this year.  

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not for everyone...

I renewed at Jomtien last week and was not given a return chit.  Talked to a friend who also renewed last week and he was not given one either.  Maybe they are reducing/removing the requirement and will merely (!) check at next renewal.

PH

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

When I renewed in Sept 2019, the Udon official 'told me' to keep the 800k in my account for 3 months after renewal.....no paperwork saying so.  I subsequently did my 90 day in person in Dec......business as usual......no one asked for any bank papers.  It's possible they'll want to check when I renew again later this year.  

No. It's only very few imm offices that wanted to flop it out and make up this requirement. Jomtien being one of the larger ones. Few others. 

CW along with the other 60+ offices do not required bankbook flop 3 months after obtaining extension.

9 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Not for everyone...

I renewed at Jomtien last week and was not given a return chit.  Talked to a friend who also renewed last week and he was not given one either.  Maybe they are reducing/removing the requirement and will merely (!) check at next renewal.

PH

Exactly. One of the experienced helpful posters in this forum posted something like he had to ask for bankbook report back slip. The reminder with date. In addition couple of his friends had similar experience. Perhaps Jomtien is getting some feedback to get with the programme

Edited by DrJack54

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The rules, as written, don't actually give clearance to do that.... they state you need to keep the money AFTER the extension is issued and make no restriction wrt issuing a subsequent one. I even get a sense Jomtien are getting lazy about their 3 months post check. So I would not go so far as to say 'it is very clear'..... It is possible it might not even be tested. If I were in that position, I would let the extension expire and start with a new Non-Imm-O. 

Edited by jacko45k

12 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Not for everyone...

PH

They did not offer me one so I asked, and was told to return after 3 months. This was early December so early days in their loss of interest. I hope people are regularly updating their bank passbooks, otherwise they will not show compliance (having a consolidated entry perhaps). 

On 2/1/2020 at 7:20 AM, jacko45k said:

They did not offer me one so I asked, and was told to return after 3 months. This was early December so early days in their loss of interest. I hope people are regularly updating their bank passbooks, otherwise they will not show compliance (having a consolidated entry perhaps). 

That is why they will probably ask for a 1 year bank statement to accompany the bank book when you renew as that doesn’t get consolidated entries.

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is why they will probably ask for a 1 year bank statement to accompany the bank book when you renew as that doesn’t get consolidated entries.

Umm so you mean the same as the other 60+ imm offices in Thailand. Along with rubbish office such as Jomtien, who will also require same. Even with their rogue 90 day bankbook check. 

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Umm so you mean the same as the other 60+ imm offices in Thailand. Along with rubbish office such as Jomtien, who will also require same. Even with their rogue 90 day bankbook check. 

Exactly, but my point was that you almost certainly don’t need to bother updating your bank book as often as you suggest.

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Exactly, but my point was that you almost certainly don’t need to bother updating your bank book as often as you suggest.

Not starting a bun fight. Just asking a question. What's your take on this possible scenario. 

If I deal with say Jomtien. I do not return for bankbook check, however follow the 800 post extension etc. 

Then apply for my next extension. With bankbook in compliance..

They can not accept extension? Based on what. Rogue rubbish.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Not starting a bun fight. Just asking a question. What's your take on this possible scenario. 

If I deal with say Jomtien. I do not return for bankbook check, however follow the 800 post extension etc. 

Then apply for my next extension. With bankbook in compliance..

They can not accept extension? Based on what. Rogue rubbish.

I have no idea what that particular office will or can do. 

My opinion is that as long as you have followed the regulations and can prove that (usually it requires both the bank book bank letter and bank statement) you have done so then you should get the extension. You would also have grounds to escalate any refusal.

There is nothing in the regulation forcing you to report money 3 months after the extension, so it’s a local imposition. 

The first people to fall under the rules could be applying quite soon so there may be more information coming within weeks.

The one suggestion I have is to apply 30 days early to allow for time, just in case.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1