Baht hits lowest level in seven months amid virus worries

webfact

8 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Away with your racist nonsense pal.

REALLY? Out of all the posts herein YOU find my post racist?

A bunch of foreigners, living in a foreign land, wishing that very same land to fail in their economy is a good and humane wish that one can do with a clear conscious?

The one and ONLY reason for that wish is to fill ones pocket with a small % of extra money? Did YOU have an iota of thought to what that would do to the poor natives?

If you classify my post as 'racist' , please look up the dictionary and tell me as WHAT I could classify your post, my good friend!

Edited by ravip
Typo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

investors are worried about the impact of China’s virus outbreak, leading to sales of the baht. 

And again it's the culprit Corona virus, you recognize that the explosion of the bubble Baht begins!

4 hours ago, ravip said:

REALLY? Out of all the posts herein YOU find my post racist?

A bunch of foreigners, living in a foreign land, wishing that very same land to fail in their economy is a good and humane wish that one can do with a clear conscious?

The one and ONLY reason for that wish is to fill ones pocket with a small % of extra money? Did YOU have an iota of thought to what that would do to the poor natives?

If you classify my post as 'racist' , please look up the dictionary and tell me as WHAT I could classify your post, my good friend!

The obvious flaw in your argument is that a weaker baht would in all probability help the ' poor natives'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Im no economist , but I read where Chinese tourists account for about a third of all tourism , and tourism accounts for 12% of Thai GDP.

Im assuming that means a total ceasement of Chinese visitation would affect the Thai economy by -4% ?

Only if Chinese tourists spend, per head, the average of all the other tourists spend who visit Thailand. If they spend only half of what the average non-Chinese tourist spends then the economy is impacted only 2% (and even that's more a guess than anything else). I saw a piece in an Aussie paper yesterday describing the financial sufferings of Chinese tour operators who had already prepaid hotel rooms and flights, both to Australia and within Australia, and could not get refunds. Essentially that's "free" money the Australian hotels and the airlines have got, so try factoring that into your pluses and minuses for the national economy and the exchange rate

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The impact of the coronavirus outbreak is seen as cutting into Thailand's current account surplus which in recent years had resulted in a relatively large surplus and pushed up the baht. This had caused concern among exporters who blamed the stronger baht for the slump in exports.

someone's misfortunes may be others fortunes.... keep lowering the surplus

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't see the value of the Baht having any effect on the poor locals.

They don't buy imported goods, they don't holiday overseas.

14 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

The obvious flaw in your argument is that a weaker baht would in all probability help the ' poor natives'.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't see the value of the Baht having any effect on the poor locals.

They don't buy imported goods, they don't holiday overseas.

Really? The exchange rate is effecting ONLY the price of imported goods and holidays overseas? I am no Economist, either. But this pattern of thinking is extraordinary!

Falling of a currency =  A prosperous economy!

Yes, obviously a flaw exists in my argument (of course according to yours theory)!!! 555 555

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This could be just the beginning. You have a very toxic mix here, with the worst air in a generation, combined with a new and unknown virus, and an administration as incompetent as any the nation has ever seen. Who knows what could happen? 

Maybe the reason for all the foreigners to exit Thailand? The best ever that could happen!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, teatime101 said:

I don't know about other countries, but Australia had around 450 deaths from the flu last year. Fewer than 200 deaths in a country of well over one billion would suggest it's not time to panic yet.

Don't worry to much,  on the scale of it I  am slightly miffed.  Still a few staged to go before we hit the " Panic" level......says the man with a good supply of rubber gloves,  masks, antiseptic hand wash and disposable 3M suits. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Falling currency increase export and thus employment. 

May ALL the worlds currencies fall!

Unemployment will disappear and economies will be at a super high level.

And the humans will happily live ever after...

(The secret formula is out)

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Really? The exchange rate is effecting ONLY the price of imported goods and holidays overseas? I am no Economist, either. But this pattern of thinking is extraordinary!

What prices do you think have changed for poor Thai families?

Give a detailed list?

Edited by BritManToo
typo

18 minutes ago, ravip said:

May ALL the worlds currencies fall!

Unemployment will disappear and economies will be at a super high level.

And the humans will happily live ever after...

(The secret formula is out)

Not all countries depends on export. This is the case for Thailand and they also depend on tourism. Lower exchange rate also increase tourism. 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/100813/interesting-facts-about-imports-and-exports.asp

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, yokat said:

I'll celebrate when the thb/eur goes over 37 again, this is where it was when I first moved in. I also have a few large expenses coming soon so I'll gladly save a few % on my money transfers

Personally I preferred it back in late 2013/early 2014 when I got over 45 Baht to 1 €

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

What prices do you think have changed for poor Thai families?

Give a detailed list?

In real, no 'detailed' list is required.

Looking at the 'big picture' there are no separate special manufacturers for the poor or the rich. When the currency value goes down, basically the expense for the government goes up. Fuel, fertiliser, raw materials etc. All this additional expenses will trickle down to the poorest of the poor - even to the beggar on the road side.

Do you think the price of the basic food is the same as, say, 2 years ago? NO! The price of basic food stuff has gone up. Medicine? Cloths?

Attracting tourists in 'numbers' is useless! It is like attracting flies to your dinner table - more harm done than good. Maybe, the Thai immigration has got wiser on that! Many foreigners come with a few $100 in their pockets and try to live a couple of months! Sometimes, they even resort to stealing or selling drugs, etc. - NO...these tourists are better in their home country, rather than in ANY foreign country!

Yes, tourism is good - but what a country need is good, high spending quality tourists - not ones who cry and whimper for the sake of 20 Bahts and hate the host country, its people, religion and culture!

Leave ALL aside... just read the posts on this thread. It sure reflects how hard the 'rise' of the Baht had hit the poor foreigners at their Achilles heel - they are helpless, desperate with no light at the end of the tunnel Even wishing the country would be seriously effected by the corona virus! Imagine, the type of foreigners Thailand is hosting! Did you once ever think from that angle?

YES! I agree 100% - Thailand should STRONGLY encourage quality tourists NOW, not the ones who would be a burden to the country.

Add

The value of a currency, in turn, is one of the biggest determinants of a nation’s economic performance.

Edited by ravip
Add
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, ravip said:

Looking at the 'big picture' there are no separate special manufacturers for the poor or the rich. When the currency value goes down, basically the expense for the government goes up. Fuel, fertiliser, raw materials etc. All this additional expenses will trickle down to the poorest of the poor - even to the beggar on the road side.

Fuel for my m/c was 33bht/l when I first arrived in 2009. Yesterday I paid just under 25bht/l.

My apartment was 5000bht/month in 2009, today I can rent that same apartment for the same price.

You're posting nonsense.