Thai govt should ban all visitors from China

ubonr1971

55 minutes ago, impulse said:

3) Sure, I'm concerned.  But I'm also concerned about the millions of Thai's who will lose their livelihoods if Chinese tourism was banned.

That's just short term thinking. The Chinese are only 30% of tourists to Thailand. If and when a major outbreak occurs in Thailand the other 70% will avoid Thailand like the plague. That's when the real damage will occur. The ban itself would not be permanent so no long term effects should come of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Since there are currently so many unknowns about this new virus, I can not understand that Thailand does not (like others) close down their import/export of Chinese for e.g. 2-4 weeks. The plan should be to contain this. Tourism is already hurting them and this would be best in the long run.

From my point of view, I worry Thailand could be much worse off, if they do focus on getting this virus contained as fast as possible.

I don't disagree with you.  I have neither a dog in the hunt, nor any skin in the game.  Which is Texas for saying that I have no strong opinion one way or the other, and that the decision one way or the other won't affect me.

It's easy for me to say "lock 'em out"  There's no downside for me in that decision.  But there is a huge downside for others and I think any decision needs to weigh that downside.

The decision should be based on data and facts and rational thinking.  Not on hysteria and hype from social media.  As I've discussed, a lot of folks see the videos and reports coming out of Wuhan and see an apocalyptic scenario.  I see a pretty typical night in the emergency wing.  I've seen a lot of them accompanying my GF in China.  Especially bad on a Friday or Saturday night when the drunken brawls are the worst.

The Thai government needs to prepare for wholesale economic chaos, either way.  I'm not seeing that mentioned anywhere.  How will they help the millions whose livelihood will be in the toilet for whatever period it lasts, no matter what they decide?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I don't disagree with you.  I have neither a dog in the hunt, nor any skin in the game.  Which is Texas for saying that I have no strong opinion one way or the other, and that the decision one way or the other won't affect me.

It's easy for me to say "lock 'em out"  There's no downside for me in that decision.  But there is a huge downside for others and I think any decision needs to weigh that downside.

The decision should be based on data and facts and rational thinking.  Not on hysteria and hype from social media.  As I've discussed, a lot of folks see the videos and reports coming out of Wuhan and see an apocalyptic scenario.  I see a pretty typical night in the emergency wing.  I've seen a lot of them accompanying my GF in China.  Especially bad on a Friday or Saturday night when the drunken brawls are the worst.

The Thai government needs to prepare for wholesale economic chaos, either way.  I'm not seeing that mentioned anywhere.  How will they help the millions whose livelihood will be in the toilet for whatever period it lasts, no matter what they decide?

Here is the newest forecast study of the estimated spread of the virus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30260-9/fulltext

It does not look too good. 

5 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Here is the newest forecast study of the estimated spread of the virus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30260-9/fulltext

It does not look too good. 

That's good data, and the kind they need to make the decision whether to close the border to Mainland Chinese.

It would be interesting to lay that data on top of the similar data for SARS, but I suspect we can't trust any early time data from either episode.

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision whether to close off Thailand to Chinese mainlanders.  There's going to be no winners, either way.  Maybe fewer losers...  But it's going to hurt a lot of Thai people either way. 

For Falang in Thailand?  That's a no brainer.  Shut it down.  Unless they're one of the few that operate hotels or dive boats or...or...

25 minutes ago, momosan said:

That's just short term thinking. The Chinese are only 30% of tourists to Thailand. If and when a major outbreak occurs in Thailand the other 70% will avoid Thailand like the plague. That's when the real damage will occur. The ban itself would not be permanent so no long term effects should come of it. 

You make a good point, and that's worth considering.  But that's a lot different than a bunch of guys with no downside saying "shut it down" and damn the consequences.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Why not just nuke'em all, just to be on the safe side?

Really, all this girly panicking is becoming tiresome. The virus, so far, killed as many people as Thai drivers in 4 days. The mortality rate is low and stable. Rise of new infections is stable and, actually, the curve may be starting to flatten a bit.

Just look at the stats and calm down:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Good to see one of the few on here with common sense in stead of following the frenzy panic mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, momosan said:

A good point of view. I'd like to add that a ban on Chinese will instill confidence in the 70% right now.

I'm not afraid of a major outbreak btw.

Edited by stevenl

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're neglecting to mention the nearly 300 potential Thai cases in hospitals or elsewhere with symptoms that have virus test results pending, a backlog that's spiraled from single digits over the past 10+ days.

Yes, indeed. I also did not mention a lot of other potential issues because I was referring to actual, verified, established numbers.

I am fairly certain the actual number of cases is higher than that, maybe 400. That does not change the fact that there have been no deaths in Thailand. Or that there have only been 2 deaths from SARS in total.

Anyone who thinks of banning billions of people on the basis of those figures must have some secret knowledge we mere mortals do not.

• Like 2

Panic has become rife with conspiracy theory’s concerning this latest outbreak of corona virus.... 

1620 bubonic plague

1720 the great plague

1820 first case of cholera 

1920 Spanish flu

2020 Chinese virus 

I'm sure airport checks will be prolonged,. Trouble with this virus you can pass it on without knowing and that’s the problem,. It’s not like say a common cold allowing you to take measures.. 

..maybe I’m daft but when travel Thailand in couple of weeks I’ll make sure I’ve got a breathable mask ???? 

7 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

Panic has become rife with conspiracy theory’s concerning this latest outbreak of corona virus.... 

1620 bubonic plague

1720 the great plague

1820 first case of cholera 

1920 Spanish flu

2020 Chinese virus 

I'm sure airport checks will be prolonged,. Trouble with this virus you can pass it on without knowing and that’s the problem,. It’s not like say a common cold allowing you to take measures.. 

..maybe I’m daft but when travel Thailand in couple of weeks I’ll make sure I’ve got a breathable mask ???? 

Nice theory but completely wrong dates!

32 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i was going to suggest that early on. 

It's too late for that. 

Just like isolating Wuhan will have no effect because big city centres like Shanghai and Beijing are already infected and will see increasing number of cases, the wholeseale nuking of China would be useless as air travel has ensured that many cities outside China are already infected.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

It's too late for that. 

Just like isolating Wuhan will have no effect because big city centres like Shanghai and Beijing are already infected and will see increasing number of cases, the wholeseale nuking of China would be useless as air travel has ensured that many cities outside China are already infected.

darn it. 

China does not look so "shut down" to me this morning.

https://www.flightradar24.com/33.65,113.55/5

Screenshot_2020-02-02 Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map Flightradar24(1).jpg

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's too late for that. 

Let's nuke the whole planet then! Problem solved - for everybody for ever. ????

13 hours ago, PatOngo said:

England is no longer part of Europe!

A country is just a political entity, it's not a physical boundary. 

A virus found there could spread quite easily to rest of Europe if there is no lockdown.