Danish man, 30, dies after skydiving accident in Chonburi

rooster59

Danish man, 30, dies after skydiving accident in Chonburi

470150.jpg

Image: Naewna

A 30 year old Danish man died in a skydiving accident in Chonburi on Saturday.

Witnesses said the man went into freefall when his parachute failed to open during the jump near Nong Khor reservoir in Sri Racha.

Police and rescue workers were called to the scene just at 12.30pm.

The man was taken to Phyathai Sriracha Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Staff from the skydiving company who organised the event said procedure was followed and that the man’s parachute had been properly checked before the jump.

Police have launched an investigation into the incident and are working to establish why the man’s parachute failed to open.

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-02
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

I remember all those accidents involving some wire in the jungles...can't think of the name.  zip wire or something.

OK, we all know our home country takes TONS of precautions and the precautions here are minimal to make money.  YET we (not me) risk our lives for what?  adventure?  LOL

i just don't get it.  Oh, hey, this wire looks old and frayed.... oh, mai bpen rai....???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The most dangerous part would be driving to the parachute centre. 

Well, he obviously managed that part, unfortunately not the second part.  :crying:

Perhaps he panicked, as Yinn suggested?

Edited by Vacuum
  • Thanks 1

No auto barometric release or at least altimeter audio warning?  No backup chute?   Was the guy experienced at all?  I used to hang glide quite a bit and when up in my roomie test pilot stunt plane have worn a parachute.  I am pretty sure I would not freeze up or panic, so barring a horrible misjudgement of things I am sure I would pull the cord as required.  I always wanted to jump, but here in the USA every place I ever checked with makes you get training, do x number tandem jumps first, etc.  Can not even sign away all that and just go solo right off the bat.  I would not be surprised if shortcuts were taken on this one, but follow up reports are unlikely to be heard

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, roo860 said:

As an ex skydiver myself, I've had a few friends killed due to skydiving incidents, the cause in all of them was human error, not equipment failure, they left it too late to deploy their reserve parachute. I had 2 main parachute malfunctions during my time.

Shouldnt there be an auto deployment on the reserve.. 

From when I did some, there was a failsafe AAD system on the reserve (for 1000 ft IIRC ?) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I believe the real question here is what makes the police experts here. Will they call in experts or will they guess at the cause?

From experience in dealing with incident investigation here they won't have the ability or training to reach satisfactory conclusions, let alone corrective and preventative action plans.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Well, he obviously managed that part, unfortunately not the second part.  :crying:

Perhaps he panicked, as Yinn suggested?

Well, that's debatable, we don't know if he had his own kit or used club kit, being familiar with your own gear is a factor, but the deployment procedure  of a reserve parachute is exactly the same on all 'piggyback systems', (main and reserve parachute in the same container. You release your main chute before deploying your reserve, to avoid entanglement .

I would have thought club kit would have an AAD device. 

Edited by roo860
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Shouldnt there be an auto deployment on the reserve.. 

From when I did some, there was a failsafe AAD system on the reserve (for 1000 ft IIRC ?) 

If there was a problem with his main then it would have been jettisoned before a reserve could be deployed, to avoid entanglement. 

We don't know if he had his own kit or used club kit.

11 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This company. Have many problem before. Die before. Have look video, another time.

You can blame the worker if one time. If many time maybe the boss?

must be thai right? 

Yes, maybe Thais are right here. Do not get me wrong. I love the Thai people, and know many who are smart, competent, and highly skilled. But, you have to admit the safety record here is poor. And so is the government "inspection" system. And the training is sometimes lacking, when it comes to something this specialized and this dangerous. That is all I was saying. Do not mean to cause offense. And simply making a presumption, which may be right, or wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Maybe. Same balcony.

But not think this time like that. 

Thai report say he not die immediately. = he have some problem. Try to land. Break his leg also.

The speed is 124km. If want to suicide. IMO will use the head for land and die quickly. 

Also he with freind. Not lonely guy.

IMO Accident. Human error.

RIP Stefan

Conflicting information,  "freefall" is no deployment, if his parachute wasnt open he cannot "try to land" 

If you have used Thai news sources Yinn please include links.

• Like 2