Dying in Thailand...

Such a Hairy Guy

No not literally, not now anyway. But eventually we must all come to it.

My wife & I do not wish for our bodies to be repatriated to our home country ($$$$) but rather if something unfortunate were to happen to us to be disposed of the cheapest way possible. (I wasnt worth a whole lot alive, I doubt very much I need to spend much on the leftovers!)

Is this possible? Can someone point us in the right direction to find out how easy/difficult it is? (This being the land of rubber stamps and carbon paper, I have a good idea what the answer might be).

In any case, dont want to be a burden for those that follows and would rather have all the t's and i's have the corresponding appendages.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Edited by Such a Hairy Guy
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

In any case, dont want to be a burden for those that follows and would rather have all the t's and i's have the corresponding appendages.

I've been thinking about the same thing and heard this company advertising on the local radio.

https://www.amarinternational.com/pre-planning-funeral.html

There are ?funeral home? type companies in Thailand that take care of funeral arrangements.....casket, flowers, food for guests, fireworks, etc etc.  One company in Udon/Bangkok does this, but I'm sure there are many others.  

http://www.s-burapa.com/page/service

http://www.s-burapa.com/page/knowledge

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ร้าน-สบูรพาหีบศพ-อุดรธานี/520546764641991

If the websites come up in Thai, right click and then click on 'translate'

if you dont care, why bother?

most place you are going to want to be have some sort of protocol for disposing of dead bodies.

its usually not as difficult as you may imagine and would involve calling local law enforcement, who in turn notifies a local hospital to pick up your body, which is typically cremated at a local medical facility that serves the sick and dying.

from there its just someone getting paid to shuffle paperwork. no problem really. life goes on.

its all arranged and no trouble really. the person who finds your body being an exception perhaps.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

My Will states that I wish to be cremated in the country in which I die.

And what if that country doesn't accept cremations ? ????

You never know when and where you will die,

could be in any country/airport during a travel transit by example...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

And what if that country doesn't accept cremations ? ????

You never know when and where you will die,

could be in any country/airport during a travel transit by example...

You think too much.

The instructions stand, no repatriation (unless it happens to be covered by travel insurance to a 3rd party country...i.e. not Thailand or UK - my time is typically split 90%/10% between them with a few other travels thrown in).

8 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Finally a sensible solution! And I get to by useful for once in my life. Mind you I hope the critters are not fussy.

You could donate your body to medical science - mind you they are as fussy as the Crocodiles.... ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both my Thai wife and I are in our village insurance cooperative. Whenever there is a death in the community, premiums are collected and the deceased is assured of a funeral service and cremation. Everyone who contributes get the same assurance no matter what the financial situation of the family is. I have been assured that I will get the same treatment.

The best suggestion I can make to the O/P is to talk to your Thai friends or neighours about this matter. Maybe they can come up with some useful suggestions. Foreigners certainly can have a local service and cremation. I've been to one such in Udon Thani.

• Like 1

I'd just leave the preparations to the family...they'll leave it up to to the ladies at the village to do things the way they were done in the past, the wat for all the ceremonies including the fridge and the crematorium...I didn't have a clue when the wife died...

then they hand you a rag fulla ashes for you to get on with the business at the river...no muss or fuss...I'll go out the same way I suppose...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Finally a sensible solution! And I get to by useful for once in my life. Mind you I hope the critters are not fussy.

Take you ATM with you, job done.

You know it makes sense ...

Edited by elliss

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

The funeral is not so much for the deceased as it is to ease the grieving for those who remain .

talking about arrangements while your alive can be a burden also, especially if you bringing it up constantly at family gatherings, or most especially if it turns to will oriented stuff / division of assets and causes family squabbling.

make the arrangements quickly and be done with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lujanit said:

If you are Australian and die in Thailand the embassy will require a autopsy before they do anything.

Is that documented anywhere? The only thing I've heard is that the Embassy refused to advise Centrelink that a pensioner had died because there was no official death certificate