Dying in Thailand...

Such a Hairy Guy

15 or 20 years ago I purchased a policy from RETURN ASSURED in the US.

You can find RETURN ASSURED online if interested.

IF I die more than 50 miles away from my home (in the US) the policy will pay all expenses to have my remains returned to MY HOME. I had to get a replacement ID Card recently and fount that the policy is still under $300 USD.

This could be helpful to somebody.

• Thanks 1

I'll be dead, and it will be someone else's problem. Pointless for me to speculate about crocodiles, crematoriums, or hungry pigs.

The thought Centrelink will keep paying into my bank account indefinitely in the absence of a death certificate is quite amusing. Maybe one of their minions would notice when I hit 120.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

Ask your embassy if you need to do anything special in regards of any regulations, and then at your nearest temple, they should know what to do.

A little further, perhaps a little bit outside the thread, some embassies will take an official record of your wishes in terms of who you want to be officially informed outside of Thailand of your passing and who you officially don't want to be contacted in this regard. Some embassies will also make an official record of who you nominate as your NOK Next of Kin. My understanding is that the thai police will respect whatever you have recorded in these matters at your embassy. (Meaning of course embassies which have this service.)

Further, another possibiity could be to make a simple registered will at the local amphur and with several people informed that your will is held at the local amphur office.

In the will you could make an instruction that you wish to have the most simple and most inexpensive cremation possible, no ceremonies / no parties whatever and the most simple and inexpensive process possible to distribute your ashes. 

To be honest my will is pretty much exactly as per the paragraph above.

I discussed it all with my only Thai son (only child anywhere in the world) and his wife. My son was not surprised and his wife also not surprised, however his wife was initially concerned what to tell her money grabbing siblings who she knew would want a big ceremony and party etc., to make the whole family look wealthy and important.

My response was 'I want every baht possible saved for the ongoing good education of my Thai grandchildren'.

DIL instantly said 'thanks, good comment, that's exactly what I will tell my bros and sisters if needed and tell them that she and my son were very thankful for this approach and there is no further discussion'.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'll be dead, and it will be someone else's problem. Pointless for me to speculate about crocodiles, crematoriums, or hungry pigs.

The thought Centrelink will keep paying into my bank account indefinitely in the absence of a death certificate is quite amusing. Maybe one of their minions would notice when I hit 120.

I've read that Centrelink (and probably same for many countries) has many scanning processes from which they know of deaths very quickly. Possibly in continuous collaboration with the embassy and continuous collaboration between the Thai police and the embassy. 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I've read that Centrelink (and probably same for many countries) has many scanning processes from which they know of deaths very quickly. Possibly in continuous collaboration with the embassy and continuous collaboration between the Thai police and the embassy. 

At the risk of going a bit off topic, there are some Australians here drawing full pensions with a Thai wife. Centrelink knows squat about it, because those people would be put on a lower couple's pension very smartly. The Thai wife would get nothing. Permit me to doubt the collaboration is as effective as you think.

With the language barriers and locations, it could take years for the information to filter through. I have never seen a policeman in my GF's village in 7 years.

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Leaving your body to science, isn't that old school?  The 'fake' bodies in medical schools are much better than real bodies today. The need for real dead bodies isn't as accute as in the past.

They still use cadavers for other research such as throwing a body out in the forest/ bush and studying the insects etc that feed and breed on it. Gives them valuable information of the decaying process for estimating time of death and what have you. Not very dignified but the dead person doesn't care.

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

At the risk of going a bit off topic, there are some Australians here drawing full pensions with a Thai wife. Centrelink knows squat about it, because those people would be put on a lower couple's pension very smartly. The Thai wife would get nothing. Permit me to doubt the collaboration is as effective as you think.

With the language barriers and locations, it could take years for the information to filter through. I have never seen a policeman in my GF's village in 7 years.

I don't doubt any part of your comment.

With a few bereavements in Thailand over the  years, the cheapest Buddhist option seems to be for the body to be taken to a wat of choice, shop around as they vary greatly in cost, where rites are observed over 3 days, with cremation on the 3rd day. During this time any friends and family can attend to pay their respects. Some family & friends usually provide some modest food and drink. During this time the body can be enbalmed or refrigerated. the former is cheaper. Thats all I know.

I told my Thai missus to do it as cheap as possible for me, and to check if a local Christian ceremony would be cheaper than Buddhist. Like u I aint fussed and the crocodile  farmwould also suit me fine.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

A little further, perhaps a little bit outside the thread, some embassies will take an official record of your wishes in terms of who you want to be officially informed outside of Thailand of your passing and who you officially don't want to be contacted in this regard. Some embassies will also make an official record of who you nominate as your NOK Next of Kin. My understanding is that the thai police will respect whatever you have recorded in these matters at your embassy. (Meaning of course embassies which have this service.)

Further, another possibiity could be to make a simple registered will at the local amphur and with several people informed that your will is held at the local amphur office.

In the will you could make an instruction that you wish to have the most simple and most inexpensive cremation possible, no ceremonies / no parties whatever and the most simple and inexpensive process possible to distribute your ashes. 

To be honest my will is pretty much exactly as per the paragraph above.

I discussed it all with my only Thai son (only child anywhere in the world) and his wife. My son was not surprised and his wife also not surprised, however his wife was initially concerned what to tell her money grabbing siblings who she knew would want a big ceremony and party etc., to make the whole family look wealthy and important.

My response was 'I want every baht possible saved for the ongoing good education of my Thai grandchildren'.

DIL instantly said 'thanks, good comment, that's exactly what I will tell my bros and sisters if needed and tell them that she and my son were very thankful for this approach and there is no further discussion'.

You can just make a Will. No need to register it anywhere, let alone the amphur. You can put what you want in the Will......no party, no monks, no flowers, no whatever.

But....and it is a big BUT, if you have a Thai wife, she will do whatever she wants, either with your money, or borrow as necessary. It's all about Face-as usual - and she will be expected by friends and neighbours to send you off in a big way - no expense spared!.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't believe they are that stupid.

The UK are not.

A death (in a hospital) requires embassy approval to remove the body for cremation. A death outside hospital must be reported to the police within 24 hours.

The DWP in the UK seem to be aware very quickly so I can only assume that news of the death is communicated by the embassy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

Is this possible? Can someone point us in the right direction to find out how easy/difficult it is? (This being the land of rubber stamps and carbon paper, I have a good idea what the answer might be).

In any case, dont want to be a burden for those that follows and would rather have all the t's and i's have the corresponding appendages.

You you make a Last Will for Thailand, it's fairly easy and you can actually do it yourself, but preferably in both Thai language and English, so you might need a translator.

You can read very good, and fairly detailed, information about both making a Last Will in Thailand (from page 77), and dying in Thailand (from page 81), in the book "Thai Law for Foreigners" by Benjawan Poomsan Becker and Roengsak Thongkaew, ISBN 978-1-887521-57-4 from Paiboon Publishing, available from Asia Books in Thai bookshops selling english language books.

46 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

You can just make a Will. No need to register it anywhere, let alone the amphur. You can put what you want in the Will......no party, no monks, no flowers, no whatever.

But....and it is a big BUT, if you have a Thai wife, she will do whatever she wants, either with your money, or borrow as necessary. It's all about Face-as usual - and she will be expected by friends and neighbours to send you off in a big way - no expense spared!.

Yes, of course you can make a will alone but of course with the legal requirments re witnesses and yes it doesn't have to be registered anywhere.

You say "...BUT, if you have a Thai wife, she will do whatever she wants,..."And yes if your wife is determined to take everything and ignore the will there's some chance she will get away with it. What could of course be in the picture is a small pay off to the local cop or head of the amphur office, etc., to grease the way for her to get access to your bank accounts etc. 

But not every Thai wife fits the model you portray and here are plenty who would want the funds you leave preserved for her and her kids longer-term welfare, education etc.

I have donated my body to the University Medical School in Chiang Mai and have an official donor card. I expect that you are in Bangkok, so likely any Medical School will likely be happy for a donor. But doing it is one thing, those left behind need to know it.... so include the details in your Health Directives and Wills too. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes, of course you can make a will alone but of course with the legal requirments re witnesses and yes it doesn't have to be registered anywhere.

You say "...BUT, if you have a Thai wife, she will do whatever she wants,..."And yes if your wife is determined to take everything and ignore the will there's some chance she will get away with it. What could of course be in the picture is a small pay off to the local cop or head of the amphur office, etc., to grease the way for her to get access to your bank accounts etc. 

But not every Thai wife fits the model you portray and here are plenty who would want the funds you leave preserved for her and her kids longer-term welfare, education etc.

My point was solely with regard to the funeral arrangements - sorry if that was not clear.

You WILL have 9 monks minimum, chanting, food and drink for the entire village and beyond and more than likely, dirge music and not what you requested plus the likliehood af all night card sessions.  See it regularly where I live.

31 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

My point was solely with regard to the funeral arrangements - sorry if that was not clear.

You WILL have 9 monks minimum, chanting, food and drink for the entire village and beyond and more than likely, dirge music and not what you requested plus the likliehood af all night card sessions.  See it regularly where I live.

Again you state that everytime the funeral will be what you state (as above).

How can you state that it will be the same. In reality you don't know.

You seem to have no understanding that there are many farang / Thai marraiges well outside of your experience / picture.

Earlier I mentioned my stated desire is very very simple and I know my son will arrange my cremation to be totally simple as per my stated desire which has been discussed at length and which deliberately involves very simimal cost, for a reason.

By the way there is no law which dictates "... 9 monks minimum, chanting, food and drink for the entire village and beyond and more than likely, dirge music and not what you requested plus the likliehood af all night card sessions".

My son knows I want as much of my wealth as possible reserved for good longer-term education for my 3 granddaughters and he wants the same.

He had good education and he deeply desires his daughters have the same opportunity and he knows if there's big cremation parties etc it will disrupt the education plans for his very much loved kids. He gets his priorities right and he deeply respects my wishes. 

And in my network of farang in Thailand I know of several similar plans.

Edited by scorecard

Thank you everyone for all your excellent advice. My wife is not Thai n feel exactly as I do about this. So it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll do a bit more research in our area but I just want my body to hit the oven (preferably after I die), no monks, chanting etc... My friends will have their own little gathering. A 'good riddance' party I assume! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Point taken, however I was meaning (as stated) scanning in regard to deaths, not in regard to who is married. 

I guess the reality is that if Centrelink did not have any 'scanning' processes in place to find data on deaths (and more) they would very likely be highly criticized by the auditor-generals department or similar agency for being derelict. 

Edited by scorecard