Thailand confirms six new cases of coronavirus, including four Thais - health ministry

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

But we found the cure and it works in 48hours, just ask us....its an antiviral and HIV cocktail........so we have it 100% under control....

This HIV cocktail.. does it contain any vodka??

Thai Coronavirus Cases Jump to 25 With One Seriously Ill

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

Thailand said it detected six more novel coronavirus cases, taking its total to 25, and that one of the people is seriously ill.

Four of the new cases are Thais, and the other two are Chinese, Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director general of the Department of Disease Control, said in a briefing Tuesday in Bangkok.

Among the four Thais, two are hire-car drivers who picked up Chinese passengers, and the other two are a couple who recently returned from a trip to Japan, Suwannachai said.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-04/thailand-s-coronavirus-cases-jump-to-25-with-one-seriously-ill

-- Bloomberg 2020-02-05

13 hours ago, DLock said:

"But if we can contain the virus by the end of February...."

Right now, Thailand is at a fork in the road and they know it.

Close the border to China, focus on local containment and possibly save your country.

Or keep letting the walking dead in, brew your own virus source, be banned by every other country and suffer the consequences...

Your call Prayut...think carefully...you get one chance.

Hmm, short term cash benefits for those who really call the shots; when /if the wheels come off we can play the victim card. 

I'm sure he has thought about it, not that he has any power to really decide. He will do what he is told.

Edited by JAG

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics"

GIGO: garbage in, garbage out (accounting acronym)

"When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember you're there to collect data" (ok, modded a bit)

Come to my fevered brow

There'll be, or probably are, many more cases if they continue to obey their Chinese masters and keep flights arriving...it's beyond insane!

This article in the Aust. media highlights just who pulls the strings in SE Asia.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/its-easy-to-prevent-chinas-developing-neighbours-downplay-coronavirus-concerns/news-story/91244b15fcdca2a8eefbf107275ef720

How long has this outbreak been running and people unknowingly spreading it across the world in the incubation period. I don't see how anyone can project a peak point with this outbreak. I am aware that this virus targets older vulnerable people but what are the recovery stats anywhere. ?

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

There'll be, or probably are, many more cases if they continue to obey their Chinese masters and keep flights arriving...it's beyond insane!

This article in the Aust. media highlights just who pulls the strings in SE Asia.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/its-easy-to-prevent-chinas-developing-neighbours-downplay-coronavirus-concerns/news-story/91244b15fcdca2a8eefbf107275ef720

"China has criticised the wave of travel restrictions, accusing foreign governments of ignoring official advice"

This quote (from the story in the link above)  highlights their hypocrisy about international concerns regarding their alleged human rights abuses."What's good for the goose is good for the gander". 

21 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

How long has this outbreak been running and people unknowingly spreading it across the world in the incubation period. I don't see how anyone can project a peak point with this outbreak. I am aware that this virus targets older vulnerable people but what are the recovery stats anywhere. ?

I see the stats on this virus as very unreliable as the huge unknown here is that many can contract the virus and have only average flu like symptoms and recover without being tested as suggested in numerous articles.Stats usually come with a margin of error which seem to left out in the reporting of these stat,a margin of error of +-2% would not be unreasonable in these stats so a commonly quoted death rate of 2% would mean the rate could be near 4% or down near Zero say 0.13% which is the commonly quoted death rate of the regular flu.So recovery rates I imagine would be subjected to the same statistical anomalies and vagaries.It is easy to miss use use statistics to enhance a particular point of view of,or to enhance click numbers for the media who make money from clicks to sell their advertising space.The Thais are not the only people interested in making money by dubious practices. 

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

If several taxi drivers got infected, meaning being just in the general vicinity of the sources, the Ro figure of 4.08 seem realistic, meaning the current infected population in Thailand should be around 1000 by now.

Can you share any figures that allowed for this estimate?

And where did the R0 figure come from?

Thanks.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no31-030263.pdf