What on earth is happening at HSBC Expat

What on earth is going on with HSBC? I have been a Premier client of their Jersey-based offshore operation for more than two decades. This morning I received an email from HSBC Expat (as they are now known) informing me that as of next week no interest at all would be paid on a range of popular savings and deposit accounts, including sterling and Thai baht.

No explanation, let alone an apology. Just an out-of-the-blue blow where it hurts most. When I checked the Expat website, there was (surprise, surprise) no mention of the zero interest move. New customers signing up in the next few days before the deadline will presumably only find out the hard way!

A somewhat aggrieved email fired off to my relationship banking manager (RBM) in Hong Kong drew a computerised response to the effect that the office had been closed THAT VERY DAY "temporarily and indefinitely" to “protect employees and customers". A little later, the RBM emailed back to confirm that his office was indeed shut - and in any case he had been moved to a new position which precluded him from helping his former clients. Nice.

When I insisted I had an urgent problem (like what to do with my savings if HSBC was going to the wall!), he agreed to get a Customer Support colleague to contact me. He turned out to be based in Singapore, but working from home and without even the use of an office phone to contact his office or clients. I am still waiting for his response.

What on earth is going on? We all know the Oriental banking giant has been cutting back on staff, offices and ATM’s worldwide. But treating customers as if they don't matter could be a sign of something a lot more serious in the wind.

As I write, none of the media seem to have picked up on HSBC's sudden imposition of zero interest rates - or the inevitable consequences for thousands of cash-strapped expats in Thailand already reeling from historically low exchange rates.

Maybe this forum's newspaper sponsors can get their journos to do some digging.

Edited by Krataiboy

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You’re a Premier client so you have plenty of dosh so the loss of interest should be of little consequence. 

I had 4 Premier accounts spread over 4 countries including annuities in Hkg. They started asking me all kinds of questions as to where my funds were coming from. When I refused to answer, they threatened closure of my accounts. I thought sod it and closed all of them myself. I have never walked into a HSBC branch since then and would not shed a tear if they were to collapse. 

You must have a big mattress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Probably had to close their "offshore" banks because the Channel islands are almost underwater from Global Warming.  They did not heed the Greta Thunberg warnings.  (pun intended)     

Cambodian banks give 6% or more on fixed deposits of 12 months 

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it's a truism that the higher the rates the higher the risk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

A somewhat aggrieved email fired off to my relationship banking manager (RBM) in Hong Kong drew a computerised response to the effect that the office had been closed THAT VERY DAY "temporarily and indefinitely" to “protect employees and customers".

I'm assuming that means because of the virus... But could also have been because of political instability. Did you ever find out why?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

This morning I received an email from HSBC Expat (as they are now known) informing me that as of next week no interest at all would be paid on a range of popular savings and deposit accounts, including sterling and Thai baht.

How much interest had they been paying on regular savings accounts BEFORE the recent announcement on suspension of interest rates.... 0.50%, 0.25%?  Looks like it was 1% at most.

If it's those kinds of typical rates, it hardly seems worth getting exorcized over...

221435761_2020-02-0422_32_27.jpg.072f49cb6df6566c9a0c6c050dfc76c7.jpg

1463640243_2020-02-0422_29_53.jpg.3910418e00c7dde1c0c3616a28ac38df.jpg

https://expatexplorer.hsbc.com/interest-rates/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How much interest had they been paying on regular savings accounts BEFORE the recent announcement on suspension of interest rates.... 0.50%, 0.25%?  Looks like it was 1% at most.

If it's those kinds of typical rates, it

221435761_2020-02-0422_32_27.jpg.072f49cb6df6566c9a0c6c050dfc76c7.jpg

1463640243_2020-02-0422_29_53.jpg.3910418e00c7dde1c0c3616a28ac38df.jpg

https://expatexplorer.hsbc.com/interest-rates/

hardly seems worth getting exorcized over...

I hadn't thought of calling in an exorcist, but if that's what it takes. . . !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm assuming that means because of the virus... But could also have been because of political instability. Did you ever find out why?

No explanation was forthcoming and if I was in the speculation business I'd be in stocks rather than a "safe" bank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

You’re a Premier client so you have plenty of dosh so the loss of interest should be of little consequence. 

I had 4 Premier accounts spread over 4 countries including annuities in Hkg. They started asking me all kinds of questions as to where my funds were coming from. When I refused to answer, they threatened closure of my accounts. I thought sod it and closed all of them myself. I have never walked into a HSBC branch since then and would not shed a tear if they were to collapse. 

i got temp blocked after i wired money.

From Citibank to Citibank.

Banks are all morons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

This morning I received an email from HSBC Expat (as they are now known) informing me that as of next week no interest at all would be paid on a range of popular savings and deposit accounts, including sterling and Thai baht.

Banks can change rates at will, yes even for Premier.

On 2/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, Krataiboy said:

But treating customers as if they don't matter could be a sign of something a lot more serious in the wind.

Nothing new here ... this is why I call them " Horrible , Selfish , Bangster Corporation = HSBC .

I changed to SCB since ,,, never a problem , interest rates for 1 year fixed accounts about 2% in the moment , but will probably be a little lower this year ...

Edited by nobodysfriend

On 2/4/2020 at 7:01 PM, Skallywag said:

Probably had to close their "offshore" banks because the Channel islands are almost underwater from Global Warming.  They did not heed the Greta Thunberg warnings.  (pun intended)     

Cambodian banks give 6% or more on fixed deposits of 12 months 

please give me the name of such bank ... might put a little million baht to play

On 2/4/2020 at 11:18 AM, Krataiboy said:

What on earth is going on with HSBC? I have been a Premier client of their Jersey-based offshore operation for more than two decades. This morning I received an email from HSBC Expat (as they are now known) informing me that as of next week no interest at all would be paid

As I write, none of the media seem to have picked up on HSBC's sudden imposition of zero interest rates

Jersey is Europe. Most banks here give 0%. Some banks now even have a negative interest rate, which means that you have to pay them to keep your money. My bank has a negative interest rate if you have more than 100k Euro in your account.

And you cannot blame the banks for this. It is a result of political decisions. The banks are not happy with this either.

And about the media...  I think you missed something. This is really old news. 

5 minutes ago, geisha said:

Will going to another HSBC bank help, or calling them ?

As HSBC Premier describes itself as a "global, seamless" service, I'd have thought that another nearby branch eg. Australia might be able to assist. I have accounts with HSBC and have always found them responsive on the very, very few occasions I've ever needed to contact them

• Like 1

Do you have a clue on what kind of bank your dealing with???

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hsbc-usa/hsbc-draws-line-under-mexican-cartel-case-after-five-years-on-probation-idUSKBN1E50YA

They got caught big time laundering money for the cartel. The US government find them like a billion $$$ and they need to make it up somewhere.

Change banks, simple.....

On 2/4/2020 at 6:28 PM, Gweiloman said:

they WILL NOT collapse....HSBC is worth around 5.2 billion quid (british pounds) !!!