Coronavirus: Pattaya's speed boat operators facing bad times

webfact

7 minutes ago, maprao said:

I remember the days when  these were the only boats you could see in the bay.

And Bali Hai was an actual nice park and the eyesore building blocking the Pattaya sign wasn't there. Neither were Russian or Chinese hordes. Last of the good times.

Take the jet ski ,mini van ,tour bus,watch/sunglasses touters,,, parasail crews, baht bus ,scooter taxi drivers with you...I am sure I left out a few ....Pattaya has not been this nice since 2012...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Siam Chon news reported that one of the worst hit sectors of tourism in the wake of cancellations from China due to the coronavirus outbreak is sea transport companies and speedboat operators.

Take the next month to do some maintenance.... I'm sure some of them need it!

1 hour ago, Stoker58 said:

TAT will announce a 10% increase in tourist arrivals.

It will probably be a banner headline..

Saying welcome back to the Chinese tourists..

And arrivals are up 20%

But no mention of the 30% drop off..

So still down 10%.

Thai government officials and mathematics don't go together. 

Unless it's the Brown paper envelopes %...

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I do not know; I don't live in Pattaya or Jomtien;
but what is certain is that when they go to get their boats with their pickups, they usually find themselves swept away by the tide;
they therefore no longer have vehicles to tow the trailers with the boats on them.

No need their boats go out the water these boats lay 24/7 in the bay.

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Large sums of public money have been released to build the marina.

Work started with poor quality materials and management, well below the 

amounts of money released.

Despite that the money ran out quickly then

they was not able to finish it.

You can see now the remains sinking.

Nobody tried to find out where the money went.

Another page of the Pattaya saga...

Win win for these boat guys as they rather occupy to whole beachfront as their Own marina.

• Like 1

You reap what you sow, maybe the Government could give work to all the people who is affect by complete lack of tourists and clean the rubbish dump which it  they call Thailand, but we know that wouldnt be on the agenda, people are sick of the air pollution, from poorly maintained trucks and cars, paddock burns rice, sugarcane,  using the forest and canals as rubbish dumps oh and let's not forget there such proactive measures to contain the spread of the virus,and least pretend you care and stop with the <deleted> lip service

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are at least still travelling to Hong Kong.

I read just this week Hong Kong is planning on closing the border from China, sounds reasonable to me.. this virus has also temporarily solved the HK mass protest marches China was concerned about.. at least it's not in the headline news as of now, not nationally anyway..

2 hours ago, anicon said:

I read just this week Hong Kong is planning on closing the border from China, sounds reasonable to me.. this virus has also temporarily solved the HK mass protest marches China was concerned about.. at least it's not in the headline news as of now, not nationally anyway..

Apparently there are many cruise ships with sick people aboard in the harbour too. There are demonstrations about the border too.

HONG KONG (BLOOMBERG) - Hundreds of Hong Kong medical workers started striking on Monday (Feb 2) to demand that leader Carrie Lam immediately close the city's border with the mainland to prevent the spread of a deadly coronavirus.

Wow - That is six pages of some of the most bitter comments I have ever read. 

How people can rejoice at the economic hardship that this will cost the people here is staggering. The most effected by this are not the owners of boats, but the small independent traders that rely on low level passing trade to make enough to live on, pay school fees, and rent. 

People should feel ashamed of themselves. Taking pleasure in another's hardship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

The most effected by this are not the owners of boats, but the small independent traders that rely on low level passing trade to make enough to live on, pay school fees, and rent. 

And maybe those dying in China!

"Some staff have asked to go back to their hometowns in the meantime to find alternative employment."

Self Correcting? Maybe some of the thieving ladyboys, bag snatchers, and other social parasites could go along improving safety and security for the rest of us.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:30 AM, jonclark said:

Wow - That is six pages of some of the most bitter comments I have ever read. 

How people can rejoice at the economic hardship that this will cost the people here is staggering. The most effected by this are not the owners of boats, but the small independent traders that rely on low level passing trade to make enough to live on, pay school fees, and rent. 

People should feel ashamed of themselves. Taking pleasure in another's hardship. 

Is that so, did the speed boat drivers considered the hardship of the Russian

families who lost 2 kids in Phuket after speeding and colliding?

On 2/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, DrTuner said:

I can really feel the love in the air in this thread ????

Hard to fathom why some of the locals may not be too enamoured of western tourists. 

Sadly the demographic on thai visa while limited to a number of disgruntled geriatrics mourning their privleged way of life is quite visible and does none of us any favours with their incessant negativity.

I have no issue with constructive criticism, but his thread and many like it ate not critical they are downright abusive if not outright bigotry.

To take such joy in a complete loss of income by an entire group of people and their families - no matter how distateful you find the service they provide is just plain petty.

Why not outright wish their familes and children starve for your personal entertainment.

Perhaps you dont like the speedboats, but who ultimately is at fault for letting the service they provide become unregulated. Lets shoot the baht bus and taxi drivers next - they are all bad right?

What you seem to neglect to consider is this is just one aspect of how folks are going to struggle in pattaya over the coming months.

These boat operators are a single ink in the chain, the people they ferry stay somewhere, eat somewhere, get transporeted by someone, they buy their tat souveniers and spend their money with someone else. 

They only thing thus entire debacle is proving is how very low on the food chain the sexpat, week long millionaires and threadbare retirees truly are in the grand scheme of things.

Taking your petty pleaure in this is watching pattaya decline yet further, the <deleted>hole that it is.