Big C asks for Passport when purchasing groceries

ThailandRyan

1 minute ago, jack7106 said:

I suggest you read the post carefully in relation to trying to purchase even with cash – it is quite clear that they still required the passport in his case even though he was paying cash.

Because he was going to get a discount. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Our Thai drivers and motorcycle licenses have their/our passport numbers on them but they refuse to accept these as identification – welcome to the wonderful land of Thailand????????‍♂️????????

I love living here but at the age of 52 and after 24 years of being in Thailand, these sort of practices are starting to give me the <deleted>s and make me look elsewhere - up to me????????‍♂️????????

On 2/5/2020 at 11:19 AM, ThailandRyan said:

He again insisted I needed to show him my passport

You don't have to carry your passsport around, just show them your Thai drivers license.
If you don't have one maybe now is the time to get one?    

Edited by balo

16 hours ago, treetops said:

Not everyone has that option, and besides, most are probably at the shop they like most, whether that be for price, range, quality, convenience or whatever, so going to another means they're losing out.  That's as dumb as asking for ID when it shouldn't be required.

You may call that dumb, but hey it takes one to know one ???? , but for us it works I would be calling that Smart . ????

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

You may call that dumb, but hey it takes one to know one ???? , but for us it works I would be calling that Smart . ????

"but for us it works I would be calling that Smart"

Why is it smart if you have to show a passport at Big C? It seems you don't understand the inconvenience.

There are other ways of showing an identity than using a drivers licence or passport, for example a pin code. That would be smart, but maybe to smart for Big C (and for Tesco Lotus as well).

11 hours ago, dayward1 said:

Good luck man!

we are all being asked for more and more id these days. often the verification takes longer then the actual transaction. in some countries it happens even on phone calls and must be done each call, for example to a bank or utility or many other places.

in the future, as people become more frustrated, this will be achieved via rfid chips in cards, further limiting human squabble abd interaction.

looking forward to future innovations in this area!

On 2/5/2020 at 10:46 AM, Susco said:

One almost would start to think we are unwanted here, and they do everything to make life as difficult as possible.

Naah, I notice a weird Thai apologist in this thread who already claims that the ordinary groceries the OP purchased are not ordinary groceries, so I must be wrong about that we are unwanted.

Do you, or have you ever had to show your passport when buying groceries? This seems to be the 1st post suggesting such a thing,if it were a regular thing don't you think Thai visa would be

awash with indignant outraged netizens claiming discrimination!!

16 minutes ago, fhickson said:

in some countries it happens even on phone calls and must be done each call, for example to a bank or utility or many other places.

Oddly enough it's so the person at the other end of the phone can verify that it's you. There are plenty of scams where people's utility bills have been one of the sources of identity theft, leading to bank accounts being taken over and emptied. Here's but one example of how scammers are getting more and more sophisticated, in part because 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) is sometimes being used in place of other forms of identification. Just because Thailand is 20 years behind the times doesn't mean it should be the model for everywhere - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/everything-you-need-to-know-about-sim-swap-fraud-plus-one-thing-to-do-right-now/

Edited by ThaiBunny

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 6:22 PM, Beggar said:

As long as they don't ask you for a work permit for doing shopping... 

I bet that'll come shortly........Those with a Thai bank account must show a work permit or other official reasons why they have one........ If not, the MONEY'S ours ! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I always carry a photo of my passport and visa on my phone, if anyone asks there it is....... As for carrying around a passport you can forget that in the land of little thieving barstuards..... or anywhere else come to that.......  

Sad,but true, there are lots of people in Thailand still thinking there's a law saying that foreigners must carry their passport all the time. Myself, I use my laminated copy of my passport incl.my last extension. It works at the post office and some other places, and I paid 50 baht for it. I also have access to OneDrive using my phone where I have a passport copy incl.my extensions and the visa my extensions are based on,if for some reason someone asks for it. No one has so far. 

17 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I bet that'll come shortly........Those with a Thai bank account must show a work permit or other official reasons why they have one........ If not, the MONEY'S ours ! 

There are other official requirements for opening a bank account at some banks than a wp. 

Didn't read all the posts and possibly others have posted info similar to my experience.   Yesterday, the wife and I made our first shopping trip to Big C in over a week. At check-out my wife presented her ID card and after the cashier entered the number, the wife had to sign her name on the payment display screen for verification of the Big C card account. I inquired if there would be any problem when I shop alone and use a photo of her ID on my phone. Cashier said No, it was only a one time requirement to update the system.  

On 2/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, BRUFC said:

Put your specs on mate, the OP says.....

'I now handed her the cash, and indicated I was now paying by using cash and not my K bank debit card.  She again indicated she still needed to see the passport.'

Or do you think one can make an extraordinary cash purchase at Big C?

Never happened to me in Isan

On 2/5/2020 at 5:25 PM, Orton Rd said:

They also want to see your passport when posting a birthday card ???? Never understood why Bic C need your phone number to pay utility bills.

Must be some "local jokes"!
I was at Big-C in Surin Tuesday a week ago, did all my shopping and paid (with cash) as usual. 
Not ONE question about anything.

4 minutes ago, pellets said:

I was at Big-C in Surin Tuesday a week ago, did all my shopping and paid (with cash) as usual. 

Surin must be behind the times with the Gestapo questioning techniques.

25 minutes ago, pellets said:

The thread isn't about paying cash when shopping. It started with using a Big C membership card when shopping. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

*UPDATE*

Big C responded to my e-mail after, as they said, taking the time to verify the receipt and store information.  Apparently, they have installed an update to their rewards card system.  They apologized for the misunderstanding at the register, and have credited my account 100 baht for use the next time I return.  I was instructed to go to the service counter upon my next visit and let the people there know that I need to update the account information.  The e-mail also indicated I could give them my Pink ID card, as well as my cell phone, and they would now use that as my membership card information instead of my passport. Apparently they are discontinuing the card I have had for years.  So yes, even paying by cash at the time, as long as I used the membership card, they needed to update the system.  Looks like the cashiers never got the info to pass along.

MODS: Please close this OP down for any more replies.

"The e-mail also indicated I could give them my Pink ID card, as well as my cell phone, and they would now use that as my membership card information instead of my passport."

The problem will still be the people working at some Big C's. They haven't got a clue what kind of ID is officially accepted. They will still tell people that a passport is required. 

Wow, I was joking when I said "Soon they are going to ask for your passport when buying groceries with cash"... last month on a topic similar to this... the topic was about someone who had to show his passport to pay this bill at Tesco. I can't believe its coming to this.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, yogi100 said:

I'm from the UK, a pretty sad country these days by anyone's standards but I've never ever been asked for ID when paying for anything with a debit or credit card. We don't even have to carry ID.

A little OT, BUT you should be MORE than happy now, finally got out of the corrupt EU JAIL!

• Thanks 1