Thailand’s Tourism Council reports ZERO bookings following coronavirus outbreak

webfact

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Saving face is holding the country back and has a lot to answer for. If they immediately scrapped TM30, 90-day reporting, and allowed as many tourist visits as you want per year, then that would have a quick impact and be a good first step to recovering from this crisis. Will that happen? Not in a million years. Thai logic (oxymoron if ever there was one) is incomprehensible.

Would have very little impact on tourist numbers. The vast majority of tourists visit for less than one month and are sublimely oblivious to any of the above.

As for expats, I have no requirement to complete TM 30s, my wife does my 90 day reporting (app also availiable) and my annual extension was simplicity itself and took less than a day out of my life.

Only 2 things could have a significant positive effect on tourist numbers, reduce the value of the hyper inflated baht and rid Thailand of the risk of contracting coronavirus.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

From the analysis of death cases, it emerges that it is mainly male, accounting for 2/3, females accounting for 1/3, and is mainly elderly, more than 80% are elderly over 60 years old, and more than 75% had underlying diseases present such as cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, diabetes and, in some cases, tumor.

And most of the infections cause mild flu symptoms go unreported making it impossible to confirm or prove any actual fatality rates instead they cause panic and economic mayhem in order to score a few click I think the media who have published these unsubstantiated figures might be liable for criminal prosecution.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

rom the analysis of death cases, it emerges that it is mainly male, accounting for 2/3, females accounting for 1/3, and is mainly elderly, more than 80% are elderly over 60 years old, and more than 75% had underlying diseases present such as cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, diabetes and, in some cases, tumor.

I qualify in every single one of those categories. Where's my bloody mask?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

And most of the infections cause mild flu symptoms go unreported making it impossible to confirm or prove any actual fatality rates instead they cause panic and economic mayhem in order to score a few click I think the media who have published these unsubstantiated figures might be liable for criminal prosecution.

Can you substantiate your assertion or are you liable for criminal prosecution?

• Haha 2

Samet is busy the same as every year but the Chinese have dropped 90%.

Not a issue for those who didn't prioritize Chinese customers.

It's great here. No queue's in 7. No dodging them walking on the road while on your motorbike.

No having to remove them from talking up all your sunbeds or seats without buying anything.

Farang as far as the eye can see. It's like 10 years ago!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ketyo said:

No-one has any sympathy at all for the Thai authorities. In fact most people think they deserve everything they get. The Thai authorities probably don't know how despised they really are.

Seriously - Does anyone KNOW if Thai authorities actually read this forum?  And do they understand our frequent sarcasm?  Curious.

27 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Can you substantiate your assertion or are you liable for criminal prosecution?

Of course.The figures show that the unsubstantiated figures are there for all to see.The people who published the unsubstantiated figures failed to supply substantiated provable data.Look at the following figures that show the wildly varying fatality rates in different areas within China:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

• Mortality rate in Wuhan was 4.9%.
  • Mortality rate in the Hubei Province was 3.1%.
  • Mortality rate nationwide was 2.1%.
  • Fatality rate in other provinces is 0.16%
Edited by FarFlungFalang

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

As I posted in a similar thread a day or so ago - 

Thailand was a haven for western tourists in the 90s and early 00s. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to come here for something different - backpackers, couples, sex pests, retirees, beach goers, adventure seekers etc. Nowadays, relying on one or two (e.g - Chinese) tourist markets was never ever going to end well. 

What the TAT and the boys in charge failed to realise was to keep this tourist momentum up you need to improve, be innovative and develop the industry so it continues to grow. What I believe Thailand did in their partly ingrained arrogance, is basically nothing. They believed their own hype and thought we will always be able to attract tourists no matter what. 

It is mere and only because there is no longer a citizen government, from that moment is go's down in the LOS

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Of course.The figures show that the unsubstantiated figures are there for all to see.The people who published the unsubstantiated figures failed to supply substantiated provable data.Look at the following figures that show the wildly varying fatality rates in different areas within China:

• Fatality rate in other provinces is 0.16%

Where is the evidence of your primary assertion?

"And most of the infections cause mild flu symptoms go unreported"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Anyone who believes any of the figures coming from the CCP is incredibly naive.

Even if they wanted to they would not be able to give accurate numbers:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51379088

There's no hospital for him to go to because his case hasn't been confirmed due to the lack of testing kits.

The number of confirmed per day is limited by the capacity to do the testing, that's why the count is rising linearly and not exponentially.

14 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Where is the evidence of your primary assertion?

"And most of the infections cause mild flu symptoms go unreported"

As I state this is unable to be substantiated which precisely my point but it a good catch you've made with a spectacular dive thrown in and to answer your question I believe that the evidence lies in the fact that the scientific community admit it's not possible to have found all the cases of infection and if you so wish I will go in search of data to prove my point or I may wait until I'm preparing my defence in my criminal liable case in court.I would also like to return a question which is do you think my assertion could be substantiated?As I may need a little help getting out of this corner into which I have painted myself.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, atyclb said:

an internationally recognized dr knowledgeable on bio warfare believes . corona virus was made in a wuhan lab and accidently got out.

I watched to the point he claims Bill and Melinda Gates are funding bio-weapon development because they believe in depopulation. That was the 4th conspiracy theory at 12 min mark after US's influenza-A H1N1 swine flu and Britain’s mad cow disease were both bio-weapon accidents in addition to Wuhan Bat virus.

And this guy is a known expert, but purely a lawyer (almost politician type).

Edit:He is right that a lot of military bio research is going on, but most (lol, they say) is defensive.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

the Thai government opted for stringent screening processes for arrivals and treatment of the sick, which requires hard work on the part of the medical personnel.

Except that misses the part where it's true that incoming travelers from China can be totally asymptomatic upon arriving at the airports here, and would pass any kind of gateway screening, and then days or a week or more later could develop CV symptoms, and potentially have been contagious for much of the intervening time. And the airport screening would in no way have caught or prevented their entry into Thailand.

The government is requiring a mandatory two-week quarantine for its own citizens coming back from Wuhan, even those who appeared perfectly healthy on arrival back here. But they're not even doing that for all the Chinese tourists who are continuing to come here outside of the tour group travel that China--not Thailand--has banned.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chinese-embassy-heaps-praise-on-thailand-for-support-during-virus-outbreak/

Chinese embassy heaps praise on Thailand for support during virus outbreak

February 6, 2020

Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, explained today why the Thai government chose not to ban entry of Chinese tourists, to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus in Thailand, as dozens of other countries had done, saying that, since bans or extreme restrictions on Chinese tourist arrivals has proven to be not fully effective in preventing the spread of the disease, the Thai government opted for stringent screening processes for arrivals and treatment of the sick, which requires hard work on the part of the medical personnel.

Wow, since "as bans are not fully effective" then just let them all in? You must be kidding.

Game plan, let the entire Thai population become infected and thus immune so Chinese can holiday in comfort.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chinese-embassy-heaps-praise-on-thailand-for-support-during-virus-outbreak/

February 6, 2020

Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, explained today why the Thai government chose not to ban entry of Chinese tourists, to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus in Thailand, as dozens of other countries had done, saying that, since bans or extreme restrictions on Chinese tourist arrivals has proven to be not fully effective in preventing the spread of the disease, the Thai government opted for stringent screening processes for arrivals and treatment of the sick, which requires hard work on the part of the medical personnel.

A circle jerk if I ever saw one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rabas said:

Game plan, let the entire Thai population become infected and thus immune so Chinese can holiday in comfort.

Yeah, having the ICUs overloaded for a few months is a price they are willing to pay, life is cheap around here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

Wow, since "as bans are not fully effective" then just let them all in? You must be kidding.

Unfortunately, Anutin is not kidding...

As the Chinese Embassy said in their statement -- Thai and Chinese “riding in the same boat”

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 minutes ago, anchadian said:

February 6, 2020

So as the coronavirus begins to fizzle into a what looks like a regular flu like episode with a similar fatality rate and the fear subsides we are left with economic mayhem and mistrust.Remember that "it takes a worried man to sing a worried song

Im worried now 

but I won't be worried long".

Stay well and live long because if the Coronavirus doesn't get you something else will!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

26 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, explained today why the Thai government chose not to ban entry of Chinese tourists, to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus in Thailand

If you're lying in a hospital bed dying of this flu at some point over the next few months make sure to remember the above sentence when you're presented with your daily bill.

They deliberately allowed the Chinese to come in so as not to inconvenience them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, madmen said:

How bizarre posters trying to spin this into nothing to do with Chinese and people stopped coming because of jet ski scams or similar lol 

.. Truly bizarre 

Many thaivisa member WANT Thai tourism to fail. Is like the special club.

Tourism go down is their dream long time already.

The real headline on the link is “Tourism Hardest Hit by Virus”

But the special TVF headline report “Zero bookings”. Not true. So zero tourist come suwaanaphumi and Don Mueang today??? Ppfffft.

EVERY country the world have less tourism now, because China have 160 million tourist+ per year. 

Thailand will hurt a lot. Because thailand is popular. People scared to travel. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maddox41 said:

And yep the <deleted> has finally  hit the fan... 

Thats what happens when they the Thais   rely and believe in a country that doesn't  really spend as much money as the TAT  say it does??  

And now we Farangs have woken up to the fact we are not really that welcome no more. I still laugh that they all think we are  millionaire's  thou? .. Farangs will move on to greener pastures a new.. 

I baled after 12 yrs in Thailand ???????? enough was enough I will take my retirement salary   to another place and laz my days away on another beach somewhere else in the world. 

RIP Thailand should of looked after the farang in the first place not the tight <deleted> chinese and Indians tourists.  

"I still laugh that they all think we are  millionaire's  thou" (though?)

My Thai (Esan) wife's logic is that you must have a lot of money because you could afford to pay for a flight to get you here in the first place! 

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Keep in mind the fatality rate outside of the Province of Hubei is 0.16%

• Fatality rate in other provinces is 0.16%.

This data doesn't mean that it is accuarte. Judging from the measures taken by Chinese Government and the world this is a very dangerous virus. Wuhan was turned into a war zone. There are news of people being shot trying to escape the lockdown. There are speculations that this virus leaked from Wuhan's lab and that it is a bioweapon. Mortality that is reported by China is false. Only those people who died in a hospital are counted, but there are way more dying in their apartments! Wuhan just can't cope with so many dead people. Their crematories can't cope even if there burn bodies 24 hours out of 24. If it was just a normal flu, why they are such severe measures taken that the world haven't seen it until now? I really hope Thailand doesn't get this bad as it is reported in China, otherwise Thailand will be doomed.

Edited by Thunder26

11 hours ago, neeray said:

Should have been actively doing this all along instead of depending on the Chinese and Indians.

Completely agree that this would have been the right thing to do.  Unfortunately, most destinations (not only Thailand) are taking the easy way out and focus on a few source-markets which are close and which have cultural/ ethnic/ investment ties to the destination (e.g. Miami focusing too much on the Latin Market and then suffering when Brazil/ Argentina had economic problems).

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Unfortunately, Anutin is not kidding...

As the Chinese Embassy said in their statement -- Thai and Chinese “riding in the same boat”

and the boat is being owned and paid for by the Chinese

• Like 2