Urgent Travel Advice Needed

20 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

because we can't trust the chinese (some experts say the real number of deads from the virus is thousands and even tens of thousands) but also simply because most people who will die from the virus just got infected. it will take few more

weeks until the new infected will start dying, and than you will understand.

such scepticism should be applied at least as strongly to the official info put out by the thai authorities 

On 2/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, triffid said:

such scepticism should be applied at least as strongly to the official info put out by the thai authorities 

with the thai we don't even start to believe, do it's not a comparison.

what's worth mentioning is that few countries issued second level warning about thailand, including

south korea.

meanwhile, a thai medical web site published an alarming discovery about the virus: it's incubation

period is not 14 days but can be up to 24 days, link:

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/alarming-news-new-chinese-research-on-coronavirus-finds-incubation-period-of-up-to-24-days

I would never drop $1000 on flights because of a virus such as this, but everyone is different I suppose. The numbers are fake, that is for sure. But realistically you need to be more concerned about dental hygiene than the coronavirus. And maybe the fact that you can't even spell your own name. (Joking, by the way).

Edited by SteveK
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

you can't even spell your own name.

sir, the spelling of my name is a jock, but no need to get personal.

you allready mentioned my teeth here and that is not the point.

the point is also not the 1000$ i will lose.

the point is: what is going on and where this situation is heading.

the answer for this is not clear and it look bad.

you are also worried and that is why you replied here again, with

personal reference.

a little bit more of self awareness will help you survive also this virus.

22 hours ago, Kentwants2run said:

I'm flying back in on February 12th.  I'm not worried about the virus - bring some hand sanitizer and keep your hands away from your face.  

if you are not worried about the virus, than why will you keep your hands away

from your face?

be a man !! pick you nose !!

truth is that you are worried, as you should be, and the evidence is : you bothered to

write here !!

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:05 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

Thai appear to have stopped all flights in and out of China, according to their website

No, they haven't. They have reduced the number of daily or weekly flights to/from some Chinese destinations in order to match demand: https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/news/news_announcement/news_detail/coronavirus.page

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

if you are not worried about the virus, than why will you keep your hands away

from your face?

The main reason, in my case, is not the coronavirus which you are highly unlikely to contract, but other infections (respiratory of otherwise) including the relatively dangerous seasonal flu (which has killed over 10,000 people worldwide since October. No one has died from the coronavirus in Thailand, and (so far) only Chinese citizens have died. I fully expect the number of deaths outside China from the coronavirus to rise, but it is unlikely to reach the level of deaths from lightning strikes or horse kicks.

I have a ticket to go back home in 3 months. My parents are telling me to leave now ???? because of the scaremongering. I admit, its nothing to take lightly but I'm hopeful things will turn around. But, I just found out the Pentagon setting up 11 Quarantine camps within 11 major airports and it makes me wonder how I'll be treated. I could be labeled a special case because of my journey back. My itinerary shows me going through China. I have 3 connecting flights and will be landing in 2-3 airports with a 17 to 20 hour layover all together. ????

I just hope it dies down in 3 months and I won't have to be quarantined... I'm okay with self-isolation and will actually stay home as I'm very much an introvert, living in a small town. 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:31 PM, lensta said:

Thailand now has 25 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, and its capital Bangkok is now considered the most at-risk city in the world outside of China for spread of the infection.

It blows my mind that there are only 25 confirmed cases. I mean, this is the go-to country for China. Maybe its the high humidity? Maybe its not as bad as we think? I mean, the city did throw a HUGE 10,000+ people banquet just as the outbreak was picking up momentum. And yes, I did see the 24 day incubation. That was a controlled lab test conducted by Chinese scientists? Not sure if I can trust certain countries in Asia to give us the real numbers. Korea and Japan, yes. If it is as bad as some say, then we'll know the truth soon... probably within a week or 2 (Europe and America).

23 minutes ago, ThaiBrian said:

My itinerary shows me going through China.

in your case the best option will be to stay in thailand for the full three months. by

than there is a good chance that the virus will fade away, as the collective immune system

will learn how to kill it.

if you travel now you run the risk of being put in quarantine, which means you will be

forced to stay with other people who do carry the virus, with all

the life risk and psychological stress that goes with that (that is why we see many

videos of people in china who refuse to be taken to hospitals, and fight it violently - they

know they will be forced to stay with other infected people, for many long weeks, only

because they sneezed in the wrong place or the wrong time).

once you will explain it to your parents, they will overcome the natural emotional need

to see you now.

12 hours ago, ThaiBrian said:

I have a ticket to go back home in 3 months. My parents are telling me to leave now ???? because of the scaremongering. I admit, its nothing to take lightly but I'm hopeful things will turn around. But, I just found out the Pentagon setting up 11 Quarantine camps within 11 major airports and it makes me wonder how I'll be treated. I could be labeled a special case because of my journey back. My itinerary shows me going through China. I have 3 connecting flights and will be landing in 2-3 airports with a 17 to 20 hour layover all together. ????

I just hope it dies down in 3 months and I won't have to be quarantined... I'm okay with self-isolation and will actually stay home as I'm very much an introvert, living in a small town. 

There will still be virus infections in three months, but the irrational panic will hopefully have subsided somewhat. If you are planning layovers at Chinese airports, enforced quarantine is a possibility. You will need to wait until closer to your departure to judge. I assume you have also investigated whether there is a way of rerouting your journey to avoid China. While infection three months from now at a Chinese airport is not particularly likely (depending to some extent on which airport)  bypassing China might be prudent.

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There will still be virus infections in three months, but the irrational panic will hopefully have subsided somewhat. If you are planning layovers at Chinese airports, enforced quarantine is a possibility. You will need to wait until closer to your departure to judge. I assume you have also investigated whether there is a way of rerouting your journey to avoid China. While infection three months from now at a Chinese airport is not particularly likely (depending to some extent on which airport)  bypassing China might be prudent.

I had a flight from Shanghai to LAX, I cancelled it for a full credit and now have to figure out when, where and how to travel back. There are no flights on Delta out of Shanghai until the end of April. No big deal, best place to be when there are wierd diseases hanging around is home and away from crowds.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:58 PM, Kentwants2run said:

I'm flying back in on February 12th.  I'm not worried about the virus - bring some hand sanitizer and keep your hands away from your face. 

This is the best advice you will get . 

I have been inside EU for a long time but will start flying out next month, first a visit to the US, then Asia. I am worried we'll have a big epidemic within the next 60 days but I have no time to worry about it.  I am fit to travel and will take all the precautions I can. 

Do not touch your face, if you have to visit a public toilet , try not to touch the doors handles, and use the hand sanitizer as much as possible.  

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, balo said:

use the hand sanitizer

WELL, good luck with that.

3 hours ago, balo said:

I have been inside EU for a long time but will start flying out next month

you have been inside EU for a long time? what is the EU? some kind of jail? 

but you will start flying out next month? seriously? flying out of the EU at last?

with the US first and than asia?

what are you, donald trump? the U.N. chairman? king of holland?

or just some kind of maple leaf on a frozen tree?