Glaucome Medicines

Ooops, I meant GlaucomA

Anyone on here buying meds like Alphagan, Xalatan or Cosopt in Thailand? Hospitals I've asked seem to charge top dollar for them, and internet companies don't seem to be aware of the temperature needs of some of these items. The supply I brought with me is almost out and seeking local sources at reasonable prices. I'm in Pattaya. Any help appreciated.

DIG

Edited by dressedingreen

Ooops, I meant GlaucomA

Anyone on here buying meds like Alphagan, Xalatan or Cosopt in Thailand? Hospitals I've asked seem to charge top dollar for them, and internet companies don't seem to be aware of the temperature needs of some of these items. The supply I brought with me is almost out and seeking local sources at reasonable prices. I'm in Pattaya. Any help appreciated.

DIG

Try Fascino's (pharmacy) and ask by the generic rather than brand name as there may be a similiar product produced locally under a different brand name.

It will always be expensive to gert foreign imported drugs here -- more so than in the country of manufacturer, due to import costs -- only local made ones are inexpensive.

I'm not familiar with these specific drugs so can't say if there is a local generic or not, but worth a try.

I am using Alcon Travatan here in Bangkok from hospital and always packed refrigerated and packed in ice for trip home so some are aware of the temperature needs. Not cheap at about 1,200 baht per month 2.5ml (one drop both eyes) but for me it works well (except the doctor thinks my eyelids are longer than hers).

Im in the same boat, 1 month of Xatalan left and Pred Forte steriod drops...Got a prescription for them from Bangkok Pattaya along with some other drugs and nearly fainted at the price...looking to find somewhere else to get them from.

I use Alcon Travatan too. The price on the bottle is 1200 baht but the wholesale price in Chantaburi is 750 baht.

I trust you are getting pressure checked every few months and that it is working OK? I am naturally suspicious of any wholesale price drugs at cities near the borders. I have not priced at local pharmacy as insurance covers most of my cost so not sure how much of a discount is offered but having had father lose his sight due to not taking medicine am rather paranoid about it.

If (as it sounds like) these drugs are imports and there is no local generic equivalent, the cheapest way to get them without risk in terms of quality is to contact the manufacturer or distributor directly and buy from them, but to do so you'll need to get it in bulk (a one or 2 year supply, but you can specify more than 2 yrs expiry date). If you have the room in your fridge, this will save a fair amount as you'll get the whiolesale price paid by pharmacies and hospitals. And no question about the authenticity of the drugs when bought direct from the company like that.