Can you drive in Thailand on a UK license?

ChipButty

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would think it best you and or anyone else wishing to drive in Thailand obtain a International Driving Permit IDP as it goes with your drivers license and if you have any claims through insurance, yours or others your covered.

Thai cops accept most licenses, but when it hits the fan, they will turn the other way and charge you for being unlicensed.

Just another way to extort money I'll advise my guest what to do and what I think is safest. Cheers 

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

According to Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.  Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

Good point, can you say what the insurers require now ?

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Just another way to extort money I'll advise my guest what to do and what I think is safest. Cheers 

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-an-international-driving-permit-in-thailand/

This will answer some questions, interesting read for tourists and others. But travel insurance is "crucial" and if they are going to get it, as I said, it's "crucial" they should read the fine print is going to ride a scooter as some don't cover them, or the cc's have to be below 125 and helmets are a must as are international riding permits

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-an-international-driving-permit-in-thailand/

This will answer some questions, interesting read for tourists and others. But travel insurance is "crucial" and if they are going to get it, as I said, it's "crucial" they should read the fine print is going to ride a scooter as some don't cover them, or the cc's have to be below 125 and helmets are a must as are international riding permits

I've already said no motorbikes, they will be hiring a car but I will point that out about insurance how many people get caught out with none or no cover?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

IDPs are circ £5, alternatively don't bother getting one for additional fun, ensure to ride where the police checkpoints are and let us know how it goes

• Haha 1

They seem to think they dont need one but Im going to insist they get one I know if they have a problem I'll be the first person they call, normally I wouldn't bother but this happens to be the daughter of a good friend of mine,

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

IDPs are circ £5, alternatively don't bother getting one for additional fun, ensure to ride where the police checkpoints are and let us know how it goes

Is that all a Fiver? just go and get it

36 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

They seem to think they dont need one but Im going to insist they get one I know if they have a problem I'll be the first person they call, normally I wouldn't bother but this happens to be the daughter of a good friend of mine,

I had same issue when my son visited us. Check our car insurance cover him with UK licence. They said that was good enough. But I still had him get an IDP from local post office.

• Like 1

The IDP is only valid 90 days, here any longer and you have to obtain a Thai license,  it only covers motorbikes if you've taken the test on one in Your  own country. Also just make sure your own license hasn't expired.

Edited by lanng khao
Spelling
  • Like 1

Got stopped by the BIB on my last trip back to C Mai. I had an IDP and showed it to them, but it turned out the useless woman in the office I got it in in Oz had crossed out 'motorcycle' and I hadn't noticed. I have a valid NSW licence for both car and motorcycle. My fault - I should have checked the damn thing when I got it. It cost me $40 AUD for the IDP and another 600 baht when I argued with the cops. Later I thought about it and reckon I had a sweet deal - I drove in Thailand for 25 years, (previously had both Thai licences) but never ever paid the BIB a satang. At 24 baht a year, it was a bargain if one thinks about it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, topt said:

UK - apparently 5.50 now and you need photo -

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit

NB - not every PO can do.

Cheer I'll tell her she must have gone to one that doesn't issue them she thinks the PO dont do them 

Edited by ChipButty

5 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Don't worry about it have 400bht in an envelope with a smiley face on it.

????????????????

Good luck to give this 400bht envelope to any Thai bike or car insurance company in case of accident - even with smiley.

4 hours ago, lanng khao said:

The IDP is only valid 90 days, here any longer and you have to obtain a Thai license,  it only covers motorbikes if you've taken the test on one in Your  own country. Also just make sure your own license hasn't expired.

IDPs are £5-50 if issued at a post office on production of a valid UK licence 

AND IS VALID FOR ONE YEAR

If you want a Thai licence you also need proof of address from immigration a medical certificate and your passport 

I was offered a bike and car licence because I have passed both tests

Edited by wobblyjohn

From my own personal experience - NO. It was several years ago but I was stopped in a road check point on Route 1 south of Chiang Rai. The officer, who spoke English, wanted to see my driving licence, a UK one. He informed me this was insufficient and I had to have a UK International one. A ticket was issued and I was fined 1,000 baht on the spot. Within a couple of days, and assistance from the British Consulate in Chiang Mai (now closed), I obtained a Thai Driving Licence which I still have updated to this very day.

47 minutes ago, phuketcouple said:

Good luck to give this 400bht envelope to any Thai bike or car insurance company in case of accident - even with smiley.

Scare mongering. Unless you can give an example where someone had a valid foreign license with photo and in English, but was denied coverage by a Thai insurance company?

Legally see one of the first posts, number 3. No IDP required, but bib might still fine without idp.

Edited by stevenl

12 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

From my own personal experience - NO.

It's the usual ... depends on the way the wind is blowing and if Somchai had a good root that morning.

The way I read it it's not required (for those with photo DLs in English).

Got stopped, borrowed car, no tax, no IDP, no issue. Cop initially wandered over with my licence to some Captain, both came back, after talking to my friend in Bkk about the tax, he just passed my phone and licence back and waved me on with a smile  - thought for sure I was going to be handing over some tea money due mainly to the lack of tax disc (technically not lack, but out of date with the new one back in Bkk).

Also if you check car hire sites the main ones don't ask for IDP (or they didn't a couple of years back, I checked as I was thinking about the insurance more than anything else).

That said, for the price of a beer or two I tend to get an IDP nowadays just to avoid potential hassle at a check point with thirsty BiB. If I need a new one and I remember on time that is.

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Cheer I'll tell her she must have gone to one that doesn't issue them she thinks the PO dont do them 

Post Office checker to locate which PO issues IDP

If a person has only UK paper license they will need to bring their passport for proof of id

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit#bf-full-width