Someone has an explanation for this?

Susco

Adjoining my office I have that bathroom that never has been used.

It has a shower cabin with sliding doors, which were functioning normal last time I checked, and are left open all the time.

Just a few minutes ago I hear an explosion as if the house is falling down.

The bathroom door is open and when I look inside I see what is in the pictures. One of the sliding doors has exploded, and with exploded I mean that the roller gliders are laying at the other side of the bathroom.

I walk into the bathroom and hear noises as if water is dripping, though I check the tabs and there is no water, but the noises continue.

When I move closer to the ground I notice that the noise comes from the glass on the ground which is still " exploding ".

I see the clusters of glass moving, and this is still ongoing as I'm writing this post.

As you can see from the picture, there can not have been any pressure applied to the cabin frame, doors were open and nothing leaning to the glass either.

How something like this can spontaneous happen?

IMG_20200302_002036.jpg.4f6d7e41b8dec888b9e4cd58b5bb2903.jpgIMG_20200302_002048.jpg.f8d08fc056cf4b19e923830317ab1806.jpgIMG_20200302_002059.jpg.57df9e9a7a6f120fcff175cd51f50d00.jpgIMG_20200302_002133.jpg.0e2fb96e4c110d14e463a915ff1b6a03.jpg

It's Thailand... your place is haunted.

I bet you did not bother to hire the local monks to bless the place before you began occupying it. Big mistake. I suggest you leave while things are quiet and you are still safe. Things could change in a Bangkok minute.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, neeray said:

But more likely, the house has shifted a tad over time and inward pressure was applied to the frame of the glass. Something had to give.

Did you notice from the pictures that there is free space above the frame, so the house may have shifted in the 10 years it was build, but I guess that would not affect this shower cabin.

Even if that was the case I guess one of the fixed panels would explode, and not an open door which has rollers on top and bottom, so the frame can move without applying pressure on the door

5 hours ago, Susco said:

Did you notice from the pictures that there is free space above the frame, so the house may have shifted in the 10 years it was build, but I guess that would not affect this shower cabin.

Even if that was the case I guess one of the fixed panels would explode, and not an open door which has rollers on top and bottom, so the frame can move without applying pressure on the door

That does it then. Has to be ghosts thinking about taking a shower.

5 hours ago, timendres said:

Thank goodness you were not using the shower at the time!

Shower has never ever been used, so it is surely not about moving the door recently and putting some pressure on it

5 hours ago, Salerno said:

Interesting video to see it happens everywhere in the world, though I had hoped that would have given an explanation for it.

Edited by Susco

Did you check the shattered glass for lottery ticket numbers???? 

The video on the class is interesting, probably poorly annealed glass - meaning unequal internal stresses within each panel. 

Exploding sealed safety glass more common than you think.

I once came home from holiday with a conservatory window devoid of glass thought i had a break in.

All about micro impurities in the glass making process which is yhen heated to create the very high tension.

It will have failed at the point there was some impurity in the glass.

A change in season, cold nights and hot mornings likely the catalyst for this.

A tip, the weakest point of a safety glass pane is at the corner.

Hit it with a hammer in the middle and the hammer will likely hit you back on the head. In a fire, hit the corner to escape.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Same thing happened to me. 5 years old and then gone in a loud bang. Although I was opening the door at the time.

Chinese made of course. 

1583155152127.jpg

Well at least it did what it's supposed to do and not fail into lethal large pieces. 

• Like 1