Domestic or imported?

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Domestic or imported?

imported shop name is similar to sainsbury but different spelling

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

I have found some excellent cheese in Pattaya and cheaper than the UK, I don't drink wine so have no idea on wine prices or quality

Good for you,

I am Belgian, spoiled by the Dutch, French, German,Italian and other European countries cheese and wine.

What one don't know, one don't miss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

I like cheese with a bit of bite, not that stuff that tastes similar to margarine......????

A pity, but in Belgium there is practically no choice of English cheese, ( Don't know the reason) except Chester.

The Chester available in Belgium don't taste like margarine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, luckyluke said:

A pity, but in Belgium there is practically no choice of English cheese, ( Don't know the reason) except Chester.

The Chester available in Belgium don't taste like margarine.

You mean Cheshire cheese, one of my favourites, I found Canadian Cheddar great too.....:licklips:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Which cheese was that and how much did it cost ?

Many different types of cheese English cheddar , red leicester and Danish Blue, I found the Danish Blue rather strong could only manage 3 or 4 pieces of crackers each day , I don't have the prices of the English cheddar or red leicester

The price of Danish Blue was 258Baht for 820 grams

they do have a facebook page if you search pattaya sainbury you will find previous posts from this forum

gouda is 249baht per kilo can't advise if good price or not

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You do know, don't you, that Warren Mitchell would be, today, considered a leftie, liberal snowflake, and that he was lampooning the right through Alf Garnett? He was literally laughing at racists on national TV!

Yes and you have just exactly done what my explanation was in post 444.

I am waiting for for your distaste for Russ Abbott next. But I assume when the Krankies do it it is fine.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

The British make better cheese than the French and Dutch these days, Calafornian and Australian wines knock the spots off Euro wine any day of the week. Things like rollmop herrings you can keep thanks very much.

-De gustibus  non est disputandum-

In matters of taste, there can be no disputes.

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Many different types of cheese English cheddar , red leicester and Danish Blue, I found the Danish Blue rather strong could only manage 3 or 4 pieces of crackers each day , I don't have the prices of the English cheddar or red leicester

The price of Danish Blue was 258Baht for 820 grams

The price of Danish Blue was 258Baht for 820 grams.
Incredibly cheap. Have never seen an import cheese here so cheap for years.
31 Baht for 100 grams.
The cheapest cheese in macro, and you have to buy at least a Kilo or more, is 50-60 baht per 100 grams.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The price of Danish Blue was 258Baht for 820 grams.
Incredibly cheap. Have never seen an import cheese here

I doubt very much this is imported cheese.

But of course of no importance when one likes it.

There is some local Danish Blue at 600+ available at Foodland,

not my thing.

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Your explanation appears to be that Alf Garnett was 'plain humour', representative of a simpler time. Do you seriously think that Mitchell decided to put his politics aside and try to portray Garnett as a normal, decent human being? The truth is that he was exposing the gammons of the day, showing up their bigotry and their lack of ability to articulate their perspective beyond some notion of a halcyon British era that never actually existed. 

Alf Garnett was incredibly well written and was/is very funny. The fact that it cannot now be repeated speaks volumes for what UK had become. Even The Major in Fawlty Towers hasn't escaped & it's only a matter of time before Basil himself is daubed by the 'far right' paint brushers.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I doubt very much this is imported cheese.

But of course of no importance when one likes it.

There is some local Danish Blue at 600+ available at Foodland,

not my thing.

Yes, this is not the EU here.
If the cheese is called Danish Blue, then it is also the Blue from Denmark. But not here. Not only branded watches and sneakers are copied here, but also food brands. But food safety, consumer and trademark protection rights as in the EU do not apply here.
https://www.just-food.com/news/nestle-unilever-targeted-by-chinese-fake-brands-plants_id135531.aspx

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Sorry its you that is wrong the UK has always being a net net contributor since day 1 

https://www.statista.com/chart/18794/net-contributors-to-eu-budget/

That's not the case, the UK was not a net contributor. If you look at only part of the picture, what the UK actually was paid by the EU you would think so. However, of course that figure leaves out:

1. Financial services business the UK was able to sell because it received passporting rights within the EU

2. tourism and travel that wouldn’t happen without the EU’s free movement policy

3. tax revenue the UK makes from EU immigrants working in the UK (a sum that far outweighs any benefits they receive from the UK government)

4. tax on the profits of free trade within the common market

For example if an international bank sets up an investment banking operation in the UK, rather than in Paris, in the 1980s, would they have done so without the passporting rights in the EU? How much did their employees contribute in taxes?

These things are basically impossible to quantify, but we KNOW it happened, and we know that revenue from the above would push UK receipts beyond UK contributions.

The vast majority of City institutions are foreign owned. Their contribution to the UK economy would not have happened without the EU legal framework. And indeed we are seeing already a mass exodus, with 1.7 trillion GBP in assets leaving the city, 7000 jobs. But that's just the beginning because that's just the deposit taking banks who won't be covered by Equivalency anyway. Once the other financial services providers see the real picture the international players will leave. Just like Siemens, Honda and many others have announced.

• Like 2

My apologies, even the Euro trading operations are leaving already. The second phase of the exodus has begun:

JPMorgan Chase buys second Paris office as post-Brexit plan accelerates

Bank to shift more staff out of London after purchasing seven-storey building

JPMorgan Chase has bought a second building in Paris that can house up to 450 employees, as it steps up the shift of its euro-related trading operations out of London due to Brexit.

Paris is emerging as a winner from the dislocation, particularly as a hub for investment bank sales and trading. It has attracted institutions such as Bank of America, which has opened a new trading floor with room for 1,000 staff. HSBC is also moving as many as 1,000 jobs to France from Canary Wharf. Meanwhile, the world’s largest asset manager, BlackRock, has made Paris, not London, its new base to provide “alternative” investment services across Europe and Asia after a charm offensive led by French president Emmanuel Macron.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Logosone said:

So shooting yourselves in the foot all over the place here due to Brexit. Not only with fish. The UK's economic engine the City will lose strength. In fact almost all food will become more expensive and less available:

"Despite Brexiters’ assurances of tariffless trade, a House of Lords inquiry concluded: “… in either a ‘deal’ or ‘no-deal’ scenario, Brexit will result in some additional border checks and documentation requirements for food imported from the EU to the UK. These will increase the time it takes for food to reach shop shelves and result in additional costs.” "

For some food types, EU imports make up as much as 100% of their availability, meaning disruption and price increases for those goods are almost inevitable without a deal. Analysis of production and trade data for unprocessed food – fruit, vegetables and meat – reveals that 100% of the olives consumed in Britain come from the EU, 99% of spinach and 92% of peaches and nectarines.

So can the UK easily replace food suppliers from the EU?

"There are lots of items that could not be easily sourced from outside the EU, and the relatively small size of the UK’s market could result in an uphill battle when striking deals with larger suppliers. Citing the example of citrus fruit, Prof Tim Benton says: “Peru and Chile are the most resilient alternatives. These producers, as well as being very distant, typically supply China and the US. Against these competitors the UK is viewed negatively as a low volume and high specification customer.” "

More than anything else, the UK government’s vow that future food imports must meet the same UK standards could be the biggest blocker. George Eustice, a minister for environment, food and rural affairs until February 2019, told a House of Lords inquiry into Brexit and agriculture that “beef produced in Brazil, Uruguay and the US is cheaper than in the EU and, in particular, in the UK, but that comes at the price of using hormones in beef and all sorts of approaches that probably would cause consumer reaction here, and the quality of the product is far inferior to what we have”.

The UK's self-sufficiency in food has dropped from 75% in 1989 to just 61% in 2018.

Ironically, some of the biggest challenges to the UK producing more of its own food arise from leaving the EU: rising labour costs due to the end of freedom of movement and a dependence on importing raw materials from the EU for production.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/aug/13/how-a-no-deal-brexit-threatens-your-weekly-food-shop

So you'll be competing for Oranges and Tangerines with China and the US. Good luck.

You won't have cheap labour from EU countries to help in food production. So prices will increase for the UK consumer.

You can't control your borders, as we now found out.

So remind me, what was the whole point of Brexit?

Ah yes, sovereignty, freedom from the slavery of EU law. So now you are free do what exactly? That you couldn't do before?

Haven't you got a hobby.......?    ????

Oh, before you go, what country are you from....?

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The French have done a good job and wholly outclassed Germany in wooing the big names from the City. Blackrock doing a headquarters in Paris rather than London is huge. This must have been done via a targeted charm offensive as well.

I think it has already happened that New York has overtaken London as a financial centre, whereas before London, with the EU passporting rights and influx of international players, actually could have become the world's leading financial hub, that ship has sailed away. It is becoming increasingly clear that the City will be weakened substantially.

Ha ha......Today....... The City of London controls 40% of the worlds finances as opposed to the US that controls only 25%............A lot of Eu money is in British offshore "Havens".........  Including a lot of the French... Colonisation didn't end it just changed its name......

Before anyone makes anymore silly statements........ Please educate yourselves......

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Ha ha......Today....... The City of London controls 40% of the worlds finances as opposed to the US that controls only 25%............A lot of Eu money is in British offshore "Havens".........  Including a lot of the French... Colonisation didn't end it just changed its name......

Okay, you are deluding yourself.

The internationally recognised Global Financial Centres Index makes clear that NY is number one.

You are only looking at assets, but when you mention control you forget to clarify that in London those are INTERNATIONAL assets, if Deutsche Bank holds assets in the City those are not London owned assets, however, NY assets ARE domestic US assets.

So you are disingenously touting international, including EU assets, held by EU institutions in London as assets 'controlled' by an English city. That is of course not the case. Most of the City is foreign owned.

GFCI Ranking.jpg

• Like 1

New York City remains the largest centre for trading in public equity and debt capital markets, driven in part by the size and financial development of the U.S. economy. The NYSE and NASDAQ are the two largest stock exchanges in the world. New York also leads in hedge fund management; private equity; and the monetary volume of mergers and acquisitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_centre

London is the largest centre for derivatives markets and foreign exchange markets. But as we have seen the major foreign exchange players are already relocating to Europe.

• Like 1