microsoft edge

jonesthepost

1 minute ago, jonesthepost said:

I want to get the old  version back  

It's generally not advisable to use an outdated browser for security reasons.

However, you could try using a restore point to return your computer back to a previous state.

Again, Hold the windows key + R

In the box type: rstrui.exe

Carefully read the window that opens to understand the process of a system restore.

Hopefully you will have restore points from previous dates, so for instance you could go back a week or a few days.

The new version is Microsoft Edge now so I would not try to return to the outdated and unsupported old version.  Just download and install the new.  Do you have a working browser to do this with?  Suspect you could download on another computer and run if not.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

Brave

?

I am always skeptical when people think some exotic program is better than all the other not so exotic programs.

For me the old and new version of Edge work fine and I also use Firefox and Chrome from time to time. I have no problem with any of them.

Some websites are (better) optimized for some of them but that is an issue with the websites and not with the browser.

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

?

I am always skeptical when people think some exotic program is better than all the other not so exotic programs.

For me the old and new version of Edge work fine and I also use Firefox and Chrome from time to time. I have no problem with any of them.

Some websites are (better) optimized for some of them but that is an issue with the websites and not with the browser.

Perhaps he refers to the lack of intrusive ads and banners by default.

Either way, the solution is here. As the OP intimated, it's not worth the hassle.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 4:06 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

?

Curious why do you seem to be saying that Brave is "exotic"?

Also if it does what he wants and solves his issues........

Disclosure - Brave daily and occasional Firefox user. 

34 minutes ago, topt said:

Curious why do you seem to be saying that Brave is "exotic"?

Also if it does what he wants and solves his issues........

Disclosure - Brave daily and occasional Firefox user. 

I didn't find a current graphic, but and article. Where is Brave? 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3199425/top-web-browsers-2020-firefox-sinks-to-share-unseen-since-2005.html?page=2#toc-1

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So you define it as a browser not used by a lot of people.......maybe they are just more discerning :wink:

At the end of the day, as already said, if it works for him (and for me), then that is what matters. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, topt said:

So you define it as a browser not used by a lot of people.......maybe they are just more discerning :wink:

At the end of the day, as already said, if it works for him (and for me), then that is what matters. 

But at what cost - you are hiding from Google (who have a public presence so at least some oversight) and putting your eggs into Bravo with and believe it is for your security?  If using to reduce advertising suspect it might be better to modify yourself with tested software rather than accept what a different party decides to provide you in the future.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But at what cost

Sorry but do not understand what you may be driving at. I trust Brave more than I trust Google until proven otherwise plus Brave generally performs faster for me. Just using Brave does not specifically hide you from Google either.....although it cuts down on tracking.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

you are hiding from Google (who have a public presence so at least some oversight)

You mean like Facebook..............

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

rather than accept what a different party decides to provide you in the future.

Please explain what Brave are going to give me in the future that I cannot then change if they do - I am presuming you mean Brave.

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

with tested software

Brave is based on Chrome and I believe is open source.

4 minutes ago, topt said:

Sorry but do not understand what you may be driving at.

That you are removing the sponsors that pay for content in favor to those that pay Bravo.  A lose lose situation except for Bravo.  That it does not download much data indeed makes it faster but in today's giga world that is not seen (except perhaps on this forum).

8 minutes ago, topt said:

You mean like Facebook....

Good point but you answered yourself with the open source.  And really believe most people have found Google to be above the norm in software universe.

14 minutes ago, topt said:

Please explain what Brave are going to give me in the future that I cannot then change if they do

They will have control of what advertising you see.  (indeed Brave rather than Bravo - sometimes brain to finger results in many letters changed to make a word that have typed more often rather than what is required - great getting old).  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That you are removing the sponsors that pay for content in favor to those that pay Bravo.  A lose lose situation except for Bravo.  That it does not download much data indeed makes it faster but in today's giga world that is not seen (except perhaps on this forum).

Good point but you answered yourself with the open source.  And really believe most people have found Google to be above the norm in software universe.

They will have control of what advertising you see.  (indeed Brave rather than Bravo - sometimes brain to finger results in many letters changed to make a word that have typed more often rather than what is required - great getting old).  

The main point is that I see no advertising.

Brave has a different "Rewards" scheme which potentially is an interesting scenario to reward the sites you want but I don't use that either. 

Getting old - about the only thing it looks like we will agree on :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, topt said:

I called it "exotic" and the fact that it does not show in any of the market share statistics confirm that fact.

It might be a wonderful program and if anybody wants to use it that is perfectly fine with me.

But in my experience people have fewer problems with mainstream products. They mostly work and support is easy to find because lots of people use them.

Personally I have 3 browsers installed on my PC. Edge, Chrome and Firefox. And for at least 90% of the websites which I use it does not matter which one I use. And if one website does not work without any problem in one of them then I use another one. Problem solved.

I can't remember the last time I made a test which one is faster or better in any other way. They all do their job.

So what does any exotic browser do which a mainstream browser does not do? There might be something. But it seems until now I didn't miss that extra functionality or maybe 10% performance difference. So at least personally I don't see the point of using something exotic. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 12:38 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I called it "exotic" and the fact that it does not show in any of the market share statistics confirm that fact.

It might be a wonderful program and if anybody wants to use it that is perfectly fine with me.

But in my experience people have fewer problems with mainstream products. They mostly work and support is easy to find because lots of people use them.

Personally I have 3 browsers installed on my PC. Edge, Chrome and Firefox. And for at least 90% of the websites which I use it does not matter which one I use. And if one website does not work without any problem in one of them then I use another one. Problem solved.

I can't remember the last time I made a test which one is faster or better in any other way. They all do their job.

So what does any exotic browser do which a mainstream browser does not do? There might be something. But it seems until now I didn't miss that extra functionality or maybe 10% performance difference. So at least personally I don't see the point of using something exotic. 

For someone who claims to have been an IT Professional for 30 years, a somewhat surprising opinion.

These browsers are not 'exotic'. They have the same basis as the Chrome Browser, but often with the tracking and data collection capabilities stripped out.

https://www.chromium.org

The Chromium projects include Chromium and Chromium OS, the open-source projects behind the Google Chrome browser and Google Chrome OS, respectively. This site houses the documentation and code related to the Chromium projects and is intended for developers interested in learning about and contributing to the open-source projects.

So anyone can build a similar Browser,(In fact Microsoft have with their new EDGE Browser) but can choose block all Ads and Third Party Tracking capabilities, instead of the 'selected' choices that Google might choose for their version.

If other words, Google, to make sure that the money keeps spinning for them, all of their Tracking goes unhindered.

Not everyone wants Google to know where they are and what they are doing, every single minute of the day.

Each page you open on the web will have Facebook and Google Tracking your every move. Unless your Browser blocks them by Default or allows you to block them.

Your argument is based on market share?? Sorry, but that is just crazy. Chrome, Opera and now EDGE all have the same engine.

Opera has been purchased by a Chinese company. You think that they have you best interests at heart.

You now need to go in and tweak the Browser to get the best out of it.

Brave and other Browser based on the same engine try to offer another path. In other words, we will block all Tracking, but we understand the Internet works on advertising, so we will try another way.

Or they find another revenue stream. It's really not that difficult to fashion a new Browser using the Chromium engine. I could do it myself and have a secure Browser with no market share at all.

Your assertion simply doesn't hold any water.

• Like 2

Well after using the new Edge based on Chrome since it became available noticed yesterday when trying to open a new tab get sent to a VPN home page - same thing happened today so Microsoft can go play in another ball park.  Have returned to Google Chrome as default.  Also had serious translation (Thai) issues using Edge that do not have with Chrome.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

For someone who claims to have been an IT Professional for 30 years, a somewhat surprising opinion.

These browsers are not 'exotic'. They have the same basis as the Chrome Browser, but often with the tracking and data collection capabilities stripped out.

https://www.chromium.org

So anyone can build a similar Browser,(In fact Microsoft have with their new EDGE Browser) but can choose block all Ads and Third Party Tracking capabilities, instead of the 'selected' choices that Google might choose for their version.

If other words, Google, to make sure that the money keeps spinning for them, all of their Tracking goes unhindered.

Not everyone wants Google to know where they are and what they are doing, every single minute of the day.

Each page you open on the web will have Facebook and Google Tracking your every move. Unless your Browser blocks them by Default or allows you to block them.

Your argument is based on market share?? Sorry, but that is just crazy. Chrome, Opera and now EDGE all have the same engine.

Opera has been purchased by a Chinese company. You think that they have you best interests at heart.

You now need to go in and tweak the Browser to get the best out of it.

Brave and other Browser based on the same engine try to offer another path. In other words, we will block all Tracking, but we understand the Internet works on advertising, so we will try another way.

Or they find another revenue stream. It's really not that difficult to fashion a new Browser using the Chromium engine. I could do it myself and have a secure Browser with no market share at all.

Your assertion simply doesn't hold any water.

Excellent +1

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Well after using the new Edge based on Chrome since it became available noticed yesterday when trying to open a new tab get sent to a VPN home page - same thing happened today so Microsoft can go play in another ball park.  Have returned to Google Chrome as default. 

Sorry to hear about your new tab problem. Mine works just as normal as I have set it, without a VPN which I do not have nor need one.

Also had serious translation (Thai) issues using Edge that do not have with Chrome.

Was thinking of posting this on 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/bd-p/EdgeInsiderDiscussions

I do have a back-up, using Google Translate, as most of us do on Win 7.  

Thank you lopburi3 :wai:

Win ????

Edited by Kan Win
Add words to my post

12 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

Sorry to hear about your new tab problem. Mine works just as normal as I have set it, without a VPN which I do not have nor need one.

What started to happen was when opened empty tab to select/type new site it opened to Express VPN rather than the normal blank/selection of most used sites.  This happened while I was using a different VPN the first time and next day was not using any VPN.  Seemed to be a paid advertisement.

A serious translation error was it seemed to translate "฿337" as "200 337" at times.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

Good luck - know getting good translation is often not an option but when it prints 200 as a translation of the baht symbol something is very wrong (as it did on both Lazada and Shopee at times).

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, jonesthepost said:

I decided  edge is not worth   the trouble if you have to muck around to download it, so settled for Brave not problem with download and a better site than edge or chrome.   

I installed it without issue, no idea what you talking about with cell phone and codes, it was very painless

If you need to do the process again just use the still existing older version browser "explorer" which is still on your system

the new version of edge is an improvement as it allows extensions/addons 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, topt said:

The main point is that I see no advertising.

Brave has a different "Rewards" scheme which potentially is an interesting scenario to reward the sites you want but I don't use that either. 

Getting old - about the only thing it looks like we will agree on :thumbsup:

I use edge and see no adds

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, topt said:

Sorry but do not understand what you may be driving at. I trust Brave more than I trust Google until proven otherwise plus Brave generally performs faster for me. Just using Brave does not specifically hide you from Google either.....although it cuts down on tracking.

Microsoft Edge received the lowest privacy rating in a recently published study that compared the user information collected by major browsers. Yandex, the less-popular browser developed by the Russian Web search provider Yandex, shared that dubious distinction. Brave, the upstart browser that makes privacy a priority, ranked the highest.

Study ranks the privacy of major browsers. Here are the findings

• Like 2