Regular police show up at my house

14 minutes ago, kekalot said:

yeah sometimes they try to stop me at multiple lanes checkpoints and wave their hands like idiots, i just wave back and accelerate.

I do stop at the one where they converge the lanes most of the time but since I was stopped once to pee on the side of the road (not legal) then I avoid them as much as I can.

I also wave to them and to security guards who wave to me....i also yell 'HELLO' to them, they are friendly and just want to say Hi to the farang...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tagaa said:

Not sure why the location makes a difference, but it's Issan, not in a city.

Because being more precise with your location may elicit responses from people nearby with a similar experience who may be able to answer your "What's up with this????" question.

1 hour ago, Tagaa said:

Receiving calls from a farang down the road. Sounds like they are going door to door at farang houses around here.

There you go, sorted. It's not you, it's us.

• Thanks 1

the individual uniform that took you Passport, for that photo; was at least a Commissioned officer (Inspector etc) ?  Only them as a minimum, and IOs can relieve you of it... 

1 hour ago, Tagaa said:

Receiving calls from a farang down the road. Sounds like they are going door to door at farang houses around here.

just routinely checking up on the would-be criminal (farang) element in your neighborhood.

Such things periodically are ordered from on high. "Track down and catalog all of those derned fereigners (sic)!!!

32 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
59 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I also wave to them and to security guards who wave to me....i also yell 'HELLO' to them, they are friendly and just want to say Hi to the farang...

I do the same. I popped a half assed salute to the slow moving Siem Reap cop with the NK Army cap and vest that said "Police" standing near Pub Street last night and he just snapped a strack one back. So I did the same. Giggles and fist bump and two guys walked away smiling.

Edited 28 minutes ago by Nyezhov

Caps, jackets, logo's, vests it's all same same in Thailand....i only stop for a real stopsign when i see it lit behind the rearscreen of a real police car...the rest i just wave to them and yell 'HELLO' and that's always fine.

Last week i drove on the motobike in traffic jam, suddenly the minivan right next to me started pushing me of the road...i horned loud and drove to the front of it so the driver could see me...he started horning like crazy, passed me on the left and horned even more...that happened to be some kind of ambulance without signals on the roof or clear markings/stickers on the side...it had letters of some hospital but wasn't an ambulance i guess...don't know...that driver wasn't so happy but hey, he didn't use any signals and even had them, so how should i know he was an ambulance which had an emergency? So i just waved to him which made him horn even more....sabaai sabaai krub...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

i go for onemorefarangs  style myself.   in 25 years i've only encountered  one or two cops that had a bit of an attitude.   the other 99% have been either friendly  or  businesslike....  with a quick wave of the hand to move on.     oops,  forgot,  had one bad experience with a  TOURIST police that I asked to come to our property for a problem with a neighbor.   He took the thai

neighbors side immediately and didn't even want to speak with me.  And yes,  i speak thai.

But in all other cases (on the road)  nothing but good treatment.  

The older I get I do tend to just be matter of fact with cops and many others.  The idea that

thais love to joke with farangs i have done away with.   The ones you know, no problem.

Others,  well.....  i just keep it simple   ????  .   Come to think of it,  I now treat farangs i don't know much the same way.  555

Well, I did get a good tip from a friend, who is a CHP officer in California. He told me if you can get a policemen to laugh within the first minute or two, they will rarely write you up. The job is so tense for them, that a little bit of levity goes a long way. My favorite line is, "sorry officer that I am late. I got here just as fast as I could". Usually it gets a chuckle. Of course a different type of humor would have to be employed here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Unannounced, the local police, not in uniform, just now, showed up at my house. Three of them, in a non descript dark blue truck.

If they were not uniformed and were in a "nondescript" dark blue truck, How did you know they were the "local police" ?? Did they get rid of their uniforms and service truck , just to come to your house?

As said by others they were probably Immigration, checking up on local farangs. 

Polisement are proud of their uniforms, and cars, it is part of their authority, they don't go anywhere without them, 

• Like 2

Had a visit from a local cop a few weeks ago, rural Khon Kaen village. Friendly visit, I filled out a simple form, he had a look at my passport and took a picture of us together. I had heard a rumor they were checking up on the locations of US citizens after the recent hostilities with Iran. Is the OP a US citizen too?

5 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

Had a visit from a local cop a few weeks ago, rural Khon Kaen village. Friendly visit, I filled out a simple form, he had a look at my passport and took a picture of us together

We had a visit from the local "municipality" not long ago, they were not cops, there office had been told they had to get a list of all "Farang" living in their area and forward it too? Maybe connected?

• Like 1

I had 4 of the local cops turn up on Sunday. They wanted to know if I was here or elsewhere. They took a photo of my passport and 90 day report, one of me with one of them and left after about 15 minutes.

No hassles or problems with them at all. Nice guys and a couple spoke enough English to get by. They were from the local cop shop in the big village about 6 km away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Almost 9 years and no official visit. I am so sad.

On the right a high cop who often parks the Immi van next to our place, on the left a lawyer. What could go wrong with such neighbors? 

We are safe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CGW said:

We had a visit from the local "municipality" not long ago, they were not cops, there office had been told they had to get a list of all "Farang" living in their area and forward it too? Maybe connected?

These guys had badges on a leather pad hanging around their neck. I've seen this before, but not around here. I was told later that we have a new head police honcho & he said to make a list. Why he can't get with Immigration or look at the old list, I have no idea.

Just one more straw on the back of the camel.

• Like 2

I too had three regular police visit and ask many questions. They did take pictures of my passport and extension to stay as well as my picture. I felt they were looking  for something  amiss so they could make a little money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mister T said:

This has been going for a while now. Local cops have been told that they must know what foreigners are in their jurisdiction in case something happens to them. Naturally they have to have pics to prove to the boss that they have contacted you. Nothing sinister at all, smile and be friendly, it may help in the future.

Same same in Cambodia when I was living in Siem Reap. Police going around everywhere in the city for months to get everyone to fill out info papers of names and addresses and passport info. 

I took my info to the police station and spoke with the chief. Had a friendly talk and hand shake, and he gave me his card and said to give him a call if I ever needed any help. 

Interesting. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Isn't it only immigration police checking for overstays generally?  why would the regular cops be coming around unless a crime or disturbance had been committed? 

Well, they would like to show that they also deserve a BMW Smart Car

Interesting, the local police are normally in uniform when out on an inquiry. Plain clothes is the "norm" for DSI (Department for Special Investigations) officers - like Regional Crime Squad Officers back in my UK days. You mention Issan, well I know there is a large DSI office in Khon Kaen.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

10 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Interesting, the local police are normally in uniform when out on an inquiry.

Not in some rural areas. They often are not in uniform so that they can blend in when out and about in villages.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Bogus police some years ago in Phuket my wife <deleted> them off and she took photo's of them and their truck, 

In the UK now there seems to be a lot of cop baiting going on with people filming their "interactions" with police and posting on YouTube (Crimebodge etc.). If real cops doing a proper job then I see no problem. How do the cops in Thailand take to being filmed at stops or interactions? Legality and issues in doing so? Anyone have any experience?