On 5-day Overstay. Confusion RE; Thai Govt announced 30 day extension CoVid travel disruption

3 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Confused by this take- only because the Dutch guy paid his 10 day overstay and was given 7 days to exit Thailand. 

Perhaps, like many things in life, it depends on who you get. The employee may have been kind to him for whatever reason?...

Cheers. Keep us posted as your outcome as will be helpful to others. I'm assuming many in similar situation.

I was due to fly Osaka March 18. Many flights cancelled by AA. Even more in last few days. Also return flight (limited available) big bucks.

Flying to Saigon next weekend. Bit nervous if have slight fever either leg and running into issues. 

Good luck at immigration.

2 hours ago, idiot farang said:

Thanks.

I'll stop by the embassy in the morning just to give it a shot at speaking to someone above those answering the phones. Then, successful or not (at getting some type of a letter), I'll head to immigration. If they allow the extra 30 days (like they are doing for pretty much ANYONE from ANYWHERE in China, afaik)- great. If not, I'll pay the fine and get my extra 7 days.

I remain confused as to whether there is a 500 baht/day fine for those 7 days???

You must pay the fine first = ฿500/day. The extension will cost you ฿1900 even if they just give you 7 days to leave the country. 

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You must pay the fine first = ฿500/day. The extension will cost you ฿1900 even if they just give you 7 days to leave the country. 

Pay the overstay fine where. Granted these are unusual times but I've not aware of anyone paying overstay at imm office.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Pay the overstay fine where. Granted these are unusual times but I've not aware of anyone paying overstay at imm office.

It is not particularly unusual to be allowed to clear short overstays at the immigration office, and have them subsequently agree to process your extension. With an overstay of more than a few days, they are unlikely to agree. It is always at the discretion of the senior official whether to allow it.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is not particularly unusual to be allowed to clear short overstays at the immigration office, and have them subsequently agree to process your extension. With an overstay of more than a few days, they are unlikely to agree. It is always at the discretion of the senior official whether to allow it.

The largest offices have a desk just for overstay. For example at Jomtien Immigration it's desk 3. 

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The largest offices have a desk just for overstay. For example at Jomtien Immigration it's desk 3. 

I Learn something everyday. 

So if I'm chatting to a chap soi 7 Pattaya and he is on 3-4 day overstay, then I can suggest he pay his overstay at Jomtien imm on way to airport? Or bus to border.

Does he get a receipt. This OP is past option to apply for extension. 

He already had one. He is down to denial and 7 day get out. Too late.

Edited by DrJack54

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes Tim aware of that but the OP is already on 7 day overstay and already has extension.

Edited by DrJack54

48 minutes ago, Bell1234 said:

You should be firmly telling your Embassy that you need the letter and you're not leaving without one.. Don't let them fob you off.

If the Embassy decides on a firm no, you cannot force them. Give them a solution that is clearly part of their current services.

I suggest asking them to witness an affidavit (with the travel advice attached) to the effect that travel through South Korea is discouraged and you changed your plans accordingly. This will have an embassy stamp, and likely be sufficient to satisfy Immigration.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, Max69xl said:

*I expect to be, at the least, mocked (again) for this post- saying I'm leaving out information and that I must have handled things poorly. I didn't. I know to be conciliatory, never angry, never demanding, etc. Didn't matter...

The Senior IO refused to take my money to pay the overstay, refused to grant me any additional time to leave Thailand, and threatened to call security to have me arrested! She was furious, as in screaming at me, livid at the Daily News article printout I brought (it's from Thaivisa and in my OP) because of the photos of "her boss". 

On 3/9/2020 at 4:28 AM, BritTim said:

If the Embassy decides on a firm no, you cannot force them. Give them a solution that is clearly part of their current services.

I suggest asking them to witness an affidavit (with the travel advice attached) to the effect that travel through South Korea is discouraged and you changed your plans accordingly. This will have an embassy stamp, and likely be sufficient to satisfy Immigration.

I thought this a good idea as well. It just <deleted> off the Senior IO even more.

Btw, the official US Embassy position on this, AND I AM SOOO NOT KIDDING, is to direct US citizens to go to the Chinese Embassy to get the letter from them! "We got out of the letter issuing business", I was told by 2 different people. Sure am glad I served my country in the Army after the experience I had at the embassy...

11 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

*I expect to be, at the least, mocked (again) for this post- saying I'm leaving out information and that I must have handled things poorly. I didn't. I know to be conciliatory, never angry, never demanding, etc. Didn't matter...

The Senior IO refused to take my money to pay the overstay, refused to grant me any additional time to leave Thailand, and threatened to call security to have me arrested! She was furious, as in screaming at me, livid at the Daily News article printout I brought (it's from Thaivisa and in my OP) because of the photos of "her boss". 

You were advised by myself and others that you don't go to immigration to pay overstay. If your going there to apply for extension and knowing it will be rejected and you would then be given 7 days to leave. They might accept couple of days overstay and allow you to pay it, but you were still typing away after 7 days overstay making plans.

You were lucky you were not sent to detention.. 

Edited by DrJack54

At this point, I'd rather not return to Thailand- I just transferred out all but 50,000 of the 1.2 million baht in my Thai bank account. However, I have already paid a bunch of money for medical treatment, I like my Thai Dr., and to stop at this point would be stupid, cost me too much- plus the issue of "if not in Thailand, then where???" in an environment where travel restriction already exist and are rapidly expanding (and my procedure needs to be taken care of asap). So...

I am 14 days overstay now--- yeah, waiting for my appt. at the US Embassy was a huge mistake.

I'm in BKK, so I'd prefer to just fly out; as it poses the least risk. That said, I'm open to other options.  I've only now read that, unbeknownst to me, overstays are treated much more harshly than I remember in the past. I didn't really track this as I have only overstayed once- it was 9 years ago for 20 days I believe, and I never expected to overstay again. Until reading this, I never even contemplated that I would not be allowed re-entry (now some of the replies here make a lot more sense)!

Having read a couple of threads here, it seems the best way to re-enter is via land. I do have business to do in Phnom Penh, but I read that an air arrival back from Cambodia would be highly scrutinized- though the comment did not elaborate on the basis for this opinion.

With time being important (and concern that any day the US will be the next country to have VOA taken away), what is my best option? Is it a border run van to a historically friendly borer crossing? I definitely don't want to risk a domestic flight to Udon Thani like I've read about some on overstay doing.

Thanks, as always, for any helpful replies...

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You were advised by myself and others that you don't go to immigration to pay overstay. 

There was more than one reply directly contradicting this- including one where you yourself replied "learn something new every day". 

Edited by idiot farang

4 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

There was more than one reply directly contradicting this- including one where you yourself replied "learn something new every day". 

Not for 7+ day overstay. 

Have a read of my post #3.

Bet your thinking that would have been good option. In addition your still in bkk on a 14 day overstay. 

Good plan! Not

2 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

With time being important (and concern that any day the US will be the next country to have VOA taken away), what is my best option?

You were advised to make a border run for a 30 day visa exempt entry (you do not qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival) when you first posted on this topic.

Best to get your overstay taken care as soon a possible. It will cost you 500 baht a day and you risk being detained if you are caught with it.

I think the US embassy is not doing the letters for the extension since they are not needed since you can go out and back to get a new 30 day entry. I think immigration has not advised them they should do them for that reason.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You were advised to make a border run for a 30 day visa exempt entry (you do not qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival) when you first posted on this topic.Best to get your overstay taken care as soon a possible. It will cost you 500 baht a day.

I will exit Thailand and clear it today or tomorrow- when I decide the best way to go that will allow me re-entry: fly out (as planned) or a van to a crossing and back...

Is it accurate that a flight to Phnom Penh for a couple of days and return flight might now (with record of my 14 day overstay in the system) fail? As an America, I would normally get a 30 day VOA doing this.

Your advice on a 9 month old thread was going to specific friendly border crossing to clear a similar overstay- but I am in BKK, not Udon Thani, and would be afraid to attempt a domestic flight given what I now understand about overstays being a much bigger deal than I remember from the past (pre junta) days.

11 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Is it accurate that a flight to Phnom Penh for a couple of days and return flight might now (with record of my 14 day overstay in the system) fail? As an America, I would normally get a 30 day VOA doing this.

The 14 day overstay would not normally affect entering the country but a past history of many visa exempt (it is not a VOA) entries can be a problem.

14 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Your advice on a 9 month old thread was going to specific friendly border crossing to clear a similar overstay- but I am in BKK, not Udon Thani, and would be afraid to attempt a domestic flight given what I now understand about overstays being a much bigger deal than I remember from the past (pre junta) days.

They do not check your passport for overstay at the airport when taking flights within the country. When on an overstay that is safest way to travel.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 14 day overstay would not normally affect entering the country but a past history of many visa exempt (it is not a VOA) entries can be a problem.

Just to be clear since this has been a comedy of errors on my part...

You're saying that, in your opinion, with all my visits being tourist 30 day VOA's, only 1 previous overstay 9 years ago, and the current 14/15 day overstay; that flying to Phnom Penh for a couple of days and then back should be fine?

Thanks for your patience...

Edited by idiot farang

4 hours ago, idiot farang said:

Just to be clear since this has been a comedy of errors on my part...

You're saying that, in your opinion, with all my visits being tourist 30 day VOA's, only 1 previous overstay 9 years ago, and the current 14/15 day overstay; that flying to Phnom Penh for a couple of days and then back should be fine?

Thanks for your patience...

In my opinion, with you having many visa exempt entries (they are not visas, on arrival or from a consulate) plus the overstay, flying back to Thailand for another visa exempt entry involves significant risk of denied entry. Flying to Phnom Penh is fine, but returning overland, avoiding Poipet/Aranyaprathet, would be much safer.

58 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In my opinion, with you having many visa exempt entries (they are not visas, on arrival or from a consulate) plus the overstay, flying back to Thailand for another visa exempt entry involves significant risk of denied entry. Flying to Phnom Penh is fine, but returning overland, avoiding Poipet/Aranyaprathet, would be much safer.

Thank you for your input. 

Based on what I've been reading and some input via PM, it does sound like my return from Phnom Penh might be sketch.

Current best option pending input against is to fly Bnagkok- Vientiane tomorrow and then cross back into Thailand, also tomorrow. Head to Udon Thani and fly domestic back to Bangkok.

4 hours ago, idiot farang said:

Current best option pending input against is to fly Bnagkok- Vientiane tomorrow and then cross back into Thailand, also tomorrow. Head to Udon Thani and fly domestic back to Bangkok.

That is one of your better options.

To put a bow on this thread... 

I'm back in Thailand after flying DMK-VTE, overnight stay in Vientiane, then crossed into Nong Khai- currently in 300 baht shared private car to Udon Thani. 

Thanks to all who offered helpful input--particularly ubonjoe for his additional help! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1