Alcohol-based hand sanitisers declared a controlled product

rooster59

43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd be worried if 60+ and even more so with any of the conditions, even more worried if in Cambodia especially siem reap

Well you are not me. Life is too short to worry. Gimme Siem Reap over the BTS any day.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i have a problem with these hand sanitizers you carry around. Say you have Corona virus on your hand after touching something, you get your gel out and clean your hands, virus free but no, the hand sanitizer has been touched by Corona so it's still there when you put it away and back on your hand

Then vigorously rub your bottle with appropriately coated hand, before tucking it away... easy ????

3 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

No it has to be at least 70% grain liquor would be nearer 40.

Still better than nothing, the virus has a lipid (fatty) wall, the local moonshine might be enough to cause it some havoc, it’s we’ll known for it.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i have a problem with these hand sanitizers you carry around. Say you have Corona virus on your hand after touching something, you get your gel out and clean your hands, virus free but no, the hand sanitizer has been touched by Corona so it's still there when you put it away and back on your hand

This is true for those who find a problem for every solution.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Alcohol-based hand sanitisers declared a controlled product.
What use has the declaration if you cannot get it?
We have been trying to buy a bottle for a week.
Everywhere: No have.

Just been to 7/11 and they have the 400ml bottles at 179baht at the counters. Nobody in the queue, including me, bought one.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's true about just about anything and (almost) everything. Ever stopped and wondered 'who was the last person to use this ATM?'

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

To many people making money ?

Its called free enterprise .

It’s called unregulated capitalism. Whatever th3 market will bear. The Chinese curse, “may you live in interesting times”, comes to mind ...

saturday day night live had some common sense

hand sanitzer kills 99,99 percent of germs

what happens with the 0,01 percent

seen as a joke

but HUMANS are more bacteria than human cells

you get an overgrowth of the dangerous bacteria that survived and now can multiply

GOOD OLD SOAP BAR is much better than this alcohol fake thing

but most people will not get it anyway, that people have a lot of bacteria in/on their body,that protects them

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Well than you also rub some on that sanitizer bottle, it ain't so complicated..

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

stocked up on paper towels, disposable gloves, Kleenex, and Dettol concentrate and drinking water again yesterday.

1) use bum gun and shake ass dry, no need for paper

2) buy a water filter = in stead of many bottles per day, you can have 30-50 liter of drinking water per day if you want

52 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Ok, fill your pockets with soap and water and use those when you’re outdoors, let us know how it goes. ????

Bar of soap in a plastic bag in pocket,  any water source such as public  amenities, or  a  percentage of  the ever present bottle of drinking water? what  issue? HUAMS !

11 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Alcohol  based  hand cleaners are less effective than a simple  bar of cheap soap and water. Feed the  frenzy  fools!

Yes, that is the medical advice in Oz as reported in this week's newspapers. Use good ol' soap, either solid or liquid, and wash carefully for half a minute. Does the job better than sanitizer.

But of course you still need a sanitizer in bottle for when you're on the move - atm, BTS, border entry ...

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

but having just tried it the gel evaporates off quickly and you don't smother the bottle to clean it. Maybe moral to the story is sanitize the bottle also at the same time

The way it's typically done is the bottle is a standup pump dispenser bottle you, or a store etc., sets on a counter/table etc. You walk up, press down the pump button with one hand to squirt the gel onto your other hand, and then rub both hands together. So in that case, you're never actually holding the bottle with unclean hands.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

46 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Science based or spreading malicious misinformation? Links please.

The study is a bit dense: https://msphere.asm.org/content/4/5/e00474-19

Here is a easier read: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/09/hand-sanitizer-shown-less-effective-hand-washing-against-flu

I found more studies who reached the same conclusion. If you read the CDC guidelines they specify to use only alcool gel if no soap and water is available. In another study that I read they even found that hand rubbing with water and no soap is faster than alcool gel to sanitize hands. From memory it takes about 30s to sanitize hands with water and soap vs 4min for alcool gel. For the alcool gel to be effective the hands need to stay wet for that 4min.

Edited by Tayaout