Tour bus rolls down Bang Saray hill into parked vehicles

Rimmer

Tour bus rolls down Bang Saray hill into parked vehicles

1374-N3-Mar-04-02-broke-down-bus-1.jpg

Bang Saray:Brake failure is being blamed for a tour bus that rolled down Sukhumvit Road, plowing into three vehicles in Bang Saray.

A Toyota Commuter minivan, a Toyota Vigo pickup truck with a refrigerated carrier in the back and a Toyota Corolla taxi all were damaged in the front when the Hino tour bus rolled down Samakee Hill backwards and smashed into the vehicles parked at a stoplight.

1374-N3-Mar-04-02-broke-down-bus-2.jpg

None of the driver suffered serious injury.

Across Sukhumvit Road, parked against a toppled utility pole on the center island, was the Hino bus with substantial damage to its rear.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/tour-bus-rolls-down-bang-saray-hill-into-parked-vehicles-290390

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-03-08—

20 hours ago, petermik said:

I,m guessing the driver has never heard of leaving your vehicle in gear when parking ...especially on a hill :whistling:

Generally the assistance air bottle empties very slowly; regardless of the vehicle, truck or coach.
and it is it who controls the assistance of the gearbox.
How do you start a vehicle in gear?
Because you will not be able to switch to N mode, even by tapping the gearshift lever with your foot.
The handbrake, when in good condition, something rare on a vehicle in Thailand, is THE solution.

Some Verney coaches, I drove between 1971 and 1973 had an AEC engine with a non-synchro gearbox; it was forbidden to leave these coaches in gear when they were parked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Equipment_Company

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Thai roads so deadly even little Bang Saray can't escape full blown accidents.

Thai people really need to get their heads together.

Whilst I lived in Bang Saray over twenty eight road deaths have occurred on the downhill stretch of Suk after Nong Nooch.  Plod once put a cop-with-a-camera in some bushes but it was too hot so they gave up.  And there was no money in it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Whilst I lived in Bang Saray over twenty eight road deaths have occurred on the downhill stretch of Suk after Nong Nooch.  Plod once put a cop-with-a-camera in some bushes but it was too hot so they gave up.  And there was no money in it.

So maybe you can thro some lite on how a coach can roll backwards into traffic at the traffic lights at that intersection please, so far other posters just using same same responses!

28 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So maybe you can thro some lite on how a coach can roll backwards into traffic at the traffic lights at that intersection please, so far other posters just using same same responses!

As these type of vehicles have air brakes which include the parking brake and if there is an air leak then the brakes automatically come on and cannot be released until there is air pumped into the system. So that only leaves 2 options.

1: poor maintenance on the vehicle. (brakes not adjusted properly)

2: driver. (brain not adjusted properly)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

As these type of vehicles have air brakes which include the parking brake and if there is an air leak then the brakes automatically come on and cannot be released until there is air pumped into the system. So that only leaves 2 options.

1: poor maintenance on the vehicle. (brakes not adjusted properly)

2: driver. (brain not adjusted properly)

Still need a hill!

22 hours ago, Olmate said:

After reading the full article, this is what I conclude: the bus was proceeding up the hill when it broke down shortly after the Bang Saray lights.  The driver swears he did everything to ensure the bus was parked properly.  The brakes allegedly failed & the bus trundled backwards and hit three vehicles waiting at the red lights. 

Happily I can report one was a meterless taxi. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, essox essox said:

a hill in Thailand could just be a gradient, but they make it sound over dramatic....I dont recall a HILL when visiting Bang Saray which ever entrance road I have used !!

Thank you,me too.Lived there on Suk near those lights,no hill. Only incline was on the road to the beach but a far way from the intersection. ???

was this bus automatic geared or manual??

i ask because when I was learing to drive, many many yrs ago, my Father taught me to always park car, when on a hill/steep gradient in reverse gear with front wheels pointing to the kerb !!!. Oh and have the handbrake on this securing the vehicle.....!!!