Trump suspends all travel from Europe to the United States to fight coronavirus

webfact

20 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Bull***. He self insures and pays cash. You dont live in the USA IIRC and have no idea of how the system works. So your pulling some figure out of the air and spouting off to start a troll war about the supposed superiority of medical care in the entire world vis a vis the primitive USA is nothing more than...a troll.

Free or low cost testing is very recent but there is news articles from those who got tested first and the bill was up to $4K if testing was even available. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tayaout said:

Free or low cost testing is very recent but there is news articles from those who got tested first and the bill was up to $4K if testing was even available. 

And if you are an American you know damn well that the "bill" isnt whats being paid, if at all. Its like when my Thai hospital bill was 475000B before I got my greedy paws on it, and 340000B thereafter. That $4000 test isnt a $4000 test.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

estimated cost of $250 without insurance

well thats a difference in price in just a few minutes.

Whats your point by the way? 

1 minute ago, spiekerjozef said:

In Germany they cost 49 Euros and insurance pays them. Everyone has insurance in Germany, it’s mandatory.

They are free in NY. You germans are getting ripped off.

• Haha 1

Some of the reports I'm reading seem to suggest around 1-2% of those tested (in western countries) are positive, with a 1-2% fatality rate of those who are diagnosed as carrying the virus (and almost all of those with "contributory" health problems).

Assuming that those tested are not without reason, then the overall fatality rate could be as high as 0.01-0.04% at most.  ...or c. 0.7 to 3 million people globally if everyone is exposed.

Since it's starting to look as if it will be impossible to avoid "exposure", then we should perhaps all be prepared to encounter this virus, ensure a good diet & healthy lifestyle to maximise our own immune responses, and get it over with.   

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't think there is any national leader who was on top of the situation, COVID-19 took everyone by surprise due to its extreme contagion. Australia was probably the most proactive after the Chinese, and even that didn't help.

I'm just wondering if the next step is barring nationals from their home country if they are living in a high risk area. That's a concern for me, as I have to go back to Oz once every six months for medical checks. Hopefully the virus will start plateauing in the next 3-4 months.

Thus my previous statements.  Trump had a preview of what would happen if he tried what so many other countries tried to do. 

Obviously, everyone was caught flat-footed.  It sort of came out of nowhere and spread quickly. 

But some governments continued to delay and others realized what was happening and started taking action to protect their citizens/economies. 

So, a lot of the reaction in the markets is due to the fact that investors aren't seeing the actions they think are necessary. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve73 said:

Some of the reports I'm reading seem to suggest around 1-2% of those tested (in western countries) are positive, with a 1-2% fatality rate of those who are diagnosed as carrying the virus (and almost all of those with "contributory" health problems).

Assuming that those tested are not without reason, then the overall fatality rate could be as high as 0.01-0.04% at most.  ...or c. 0.7 to 3 million people globally if everyone is exposed.

Since it's starting to look as if it will be impossible to avoid "exposure", then we should perhaps all be prepared to encounter this virus, ensure a good diet & healthy lifestyle to maximise our own immune responses, and get it over with.   

Except that one of the contributory factors is age.  How are you supposed to reverse aging by living healthy? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Excluding the UK is bizarre on the face of it. The UK has had more deaths than Germany. 

Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands have around the same number of cases of the UK, which has 459. 

Czechia, Belgium, Austria, Greece, Iceland, Finland, Portugal, Slovenia, Romania, Poland, Luxembourg, Hungary, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Malta, Lithuania, Estonia, all have less cases than the UK.

But the UK is excluded, whilst they're banned?

Must be the 5-Eyes pay-off. Well done Britain.

It's okay, I never wanted to go the US anyway. Especially as they now have 1311 cases themeslves. But the bizarre policies are interesting.

He likes the dodgers.

2 minutes ago, jcsmith said:

Last I checked the number was about 3.4% fatality rate of those who had been confirmed to have it. While I think it's safe to assume that most of the people who have it don't realize they do, I think the actual mortality rate is probably closer to 1%. Since a decent number of patients require hospitalization and if you let it spin out of control the fatality rate could be higher. In the end I don't think this is something where 3 million people would die globally if everyone were exposed. More likely your talking 40+ million. 

The basic math is that if 60% of people got the virus and 1% of those died you are talking about 46.2 million deaths. So there is some reason to be concerned and to try to slow the spread of the virus until a vaccine can be created. 

I understand it could take at least a year to find, test, and then ramp-up production of a suitable vaccine, and the rate at which this virus is spreading, it could have exposed almost everyone globally in that time.

I agree that collectively "we" should be trying to slow the spread, but each individual can do much to protect themselves - partly from exposure, but also to boost their own immune response. 

The expression "Rome burns while Nero fiddles" can be applied globally. 

3 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I understand it could take at least a year to find, test, and then ramp-up production of a suitable vaccine, and the rate at which this virus is spreading, it could have exposed almost everyone globally in that time.

I agree that collectively "we" should be trying to slow the spread, but each individual can do much to protect themselves - partly from exposure, but also to boost their own immune response. 

The expression "Rome burns while Nero fiddles" can be applied globally. 

Except one of the contributory factors is age.  You can't reverse aging. 

Here's a good article from Harvard University on the immune system. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system

As you'll note, it's natural for the body's immune system to get weaker as people age. 

Here's another article that specifically discusses the Corona Virus contributory factors that lead to death. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext

How do you boost your immune system when hypertension is a leading contributory factor in virus-related deaths?  How about diabetes?  How about kidney problems (do you have any idea how many people are on dialysis in the US - tons!)

It's not what you're proposing, taking care of your immune system, is a bad idea, it's that it's not going to be very helpful.  Sure, we should want a healthy immune system, regardless, but there are tons of ways that people get weakened immune systems which are beyond their control. 

In fact, based on the number of people who regularly post on here about retirement visas and being unable to get medical insurance or the cost of insurance in Thailand due to age, that this forum skews toward older people.  Not sure you're going to convince a lot of older people that they should just boost their immune system and get the corona virus to get it over with. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm just wondering if the next step is barring nationals from their home country if they are living in a high risk area. That's a concern for me, as I have to go back to Oz once every six months for medical checks. Hopefully the virus will start plateauing in the next 3-4 months.

Valid point but if it is such a concern to you, given the sheer dynamics of the contagion and the efforts to contain it, why wait? I don't think ANYONE should be planning their essential travel around what Covid-19 might do or how 195 disparate nations may respond.

10 minutes ago, digibum said:

Except one of the contributory factors is age.  You can't reverse aging. 

<snip..>

Your points well made, and some useful links - thanks.

But in the face of impending chaos, it's up to everyone to look out for themselves (where possible), and not hide behind what the various world governments are trying to impose on us...  I think there is a lot worse to come, including the global economic effects - and that will in itself cause yet more health problems. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Politicising this terrible and deadly virus is unethical and shallow. The virus can infect you no matter what your opinion. Trump actually showed some leadership, set up a task force and I would think ANY POTUS of ANY party would do the same. When the s**t hits the fan we all get dirty. 

You’ve just demonstrated precisely why it’s political.

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Valid point but if it is such a concern to you, given the sheer dynamics of the contagion and the efforts to contain it, why wait? I don't think ANYONE should be planning their essential travel around what Covid-19 might do or how 195 disparate nations may respond.

Nothing I can really do about it. Going back to Oz now would be living with my son and daughter-in-law for the next 5 months, I don't want to inflict that on them.

I may also find the flight I booked a month ago no longer exists. S##t happens.

18 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

this is just the beginning which is why i said two weeks ago everybody needs to go to where they want to ride the pandemic out. 

too late now.

IMO it's fairly irrelevant where you are, the big questions are whether you are in the 95% who will just be mildly inconvenienced, or if you can afford hospitalization if you are not.

Exclusive: White House told federal health agency to classify coronavirus deliberations - sources

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House has ordered federal health officials to treat top-level coronavirus meetings as classified, an unusual step that has restricted information and hampered the U.S. government’s response to the contagion, according to four Trump administration officials.

The officials said that dozens of classified discussions about such topics as the scope of infections, quarantines and travel restrictions have been held since mid-January in a high-security meeting room at the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), a key player in the fight against the coronavirus.

The sources said the National Security Council (NSC), which advises the president on security issues, ordered the classification.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-secrecy-exclusive/exclusive-white-house-told-federal-health-agency-to-classify-coronavirus-deliberations-sources-idUSKBN20Y2LM

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, varun said:

"Europe" is ambiguous - probably means EU.

No, it is Europe the continent of 27 countries excluding the UK. This has nothing to do with the EU the collective wannabe state.

Edited by NanLaew

I didn't see mention of this in the various threads this morning: NBA suspends season, at least for the time being.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-suspends-2019-20-season-until-further-notice-after-rudy-gobert-reportedly-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

After taking the initial step to play games in empty arenas, the NBA issued a statement on Wednesday night that all games will be suspended until further notice after a Utah Jazz player, reportedly Rudy Gobert, tested positive for the coronavirus. The G-League has also suspended play. The games will be suspended for at least two weeks, per Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press.