Trump suspends all travel from Europe to the United States to fight coronavirus

webfact

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

"Travel bans just don't work!"

They aren't about health. They are about xenophobic politics, finding scapegoats, and deflecting blame from bad decisions of local leaders (45!).

Thailand is making the same sorts of mistakes. Very little testing. Too slow on measures that DO work. Playing the xenophobic travel ban political blame game.

Who had severe travel bans? ITALY.

Again they do not work! 

Yes, because restricting people from traveling from an area where an infectious disease is prevalent from going to areas where said disease is not prevalent is foolish. Said no one. Who actually thinks the issue through without a lens of extreme partisanship. EVER.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Yes, because restricting people from traveling from an area where an infectious disease is prevalent from going to areas where said disease is not prevalent is foolish. Said no one. Who actually thinks the issue through without a lens of extreme partisanship. EVER.

The way I heard the excellent video of a genuine expert being interviewed I took it like this. Travel bans don't work when the virus has already spread significantly to most places in the world. Containment is no longer a possibility, viruses don't recognise borders. Earlier on when the Japanese quarantined the cruise ship one could see the logic.

Personally I would be more reassured if the Corona virus had given an announcement telling us how we were going to save ourselves from Trump!

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The way I heard the excellent video of a genuine expert being interviewed I took it like this. Travel bans don't work when the virus has already spread significantly to most places in the world. Containment is no longer a possibility, viruses don't recognise borders. Earlier on when the Japanese quarantined the cruise ship one could see the logic.

Personally I would be more reassured if the Corona virus had given an announcement telling us how we were going to save ourselves from Trump!

Trump being Trump is doing his best to make sure COVID-19 takes care of him.

His previous anti-vaccination stance has become indefensible so he's trying a new tack by portraying himself as omnipotent and thus naturally immune.  Why would he need that silly test?

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Is this prevention against the virus or is it all a big commercial hoax ?

Neither? It's politics. It's xenophobia. It's finding scapegoats to divert from blame for the big mistake of failing to act for so many weeks. Community transmission is already widespread in the USA. Travel bans are USELESS. In fact, destructive if people think that they are the answer so that there is less emphasis for measures that will actually help. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Trump being Trump is doing his best to make sure COVID-19 takes care of him.

His previous anti-vaccination stance has become indefensible so he's trying a new tack by portraying himself as omnipotent and thus naturally immune.  Why would he need that silly test?

People all over the world should be listening to scientists now and ignoring any and all demagogue type politicians. Of course some politicians in some countries are letting the scientists lead and are leading purely based on that expertise, so in those cases a good politician can be the voice of science.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Trump has proven, once again, he is way ahead of the crowd.  He suspends travel from Europe and two days later the WHO announces the epicenter has moved from China to Europe.

Trump is playing 4-D chess while his haters play checkers.  Thank God for Trump as this is now life and death.

Thank you President Trump!

Edited by Kelsall
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Trump has proven, once again, he is way ahead of the crowd.  He suspends travel from Europe and two days later the WHO announces the epicenter has moved from China to Europe.

Trump is playing 4-D chess while his haters play checkers.  Thank God for Trump as this is now life and death.

So its not a hoax.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

So he was ahead of the crowd on acknowledging how serious this is, on REFUTING the dangerous falsehood that this is just another flu, on ramping up mass testing during the SEVERAL WEEKS of lead time that the world got from China? I'll answer. No, no, no. His response has been disastrous and now the USA will be reaping the deadly fruits of his truly horrible lack of leadership. Focusing on travel bans is pure politics and xenophobia especially when there is already massive community transmission happening as it is in the U.S. 

I wouldn't say 3D chess.

His response doesn't even make the checkers cut.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I know exactly what Trump means...and so do most sane people.

No problem understanding where this ghastly agent originated.

In a foreign city under suspicious circumstances.

China's day to account for this mess will come when the time is right.

So not appreciating racist / xenophobic demagoguery is insane? Nice try. That's ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

people should be stopped travelling from usa

other country's have been testing there people now for some time 

nil or little tested in usa /work the figures out yourself

oz minister returns after meeting with trumps daughter and others there returns tested positive

tom hanks and wife positive after coming from usa 

4people yesterday /positive on return to oz /if you work out the odds millions in usa have it

Reports of panic buying guns and ammo in the States. 

Asians in the US farangs in Thailand - racism same same. 

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-gun-sales-asian-california-washington-1491891

Gun stores are reporting a sharp rise in the number of Asian people purchasing firearms to protect themselves from racist attacks amid the coronavirus outbreak.

David Liu, the owner of Arcadia Firearm & Safety in San Gabriel Valley, has claimed that he has seen around 10 times more customers walk through his door in recent weeks.

"It was crazy," Liu told Newsweek. "One example is on March 3 and 4, I had 50 plus people come in here to take their firearms safety test and everyone one of them bought a gun. That's quite unusual for my small shop.

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, you are wrong 

The CDC is still open and it has not been closed own 

correct Obama believed in a bloated bureaucracy Trump merely

applied common sense to right size the relevant departments.

To say that some white coats in cdc could have predicted and prevented

this pandemic is hyperbole at best.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, JHolmesJr said:

awww please be man enough to point out to our readers why

the Dow went up....because the markets have confidence in the measures 

he's taking to combat the virus.

I assume you made no comments when trump's Oval Office address regards Covid-19 led to a sharp drop in the Dow. trump is potentially setting himself for failure for claiming all the credit each time Dow increases, but blames others when it drops - pathetic.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

What does that mean? "A virus does not recognize borders"? Can we think this statement through? Is this to say the virus is blowing in the wind hundreds of miles? That it does not need a human carrier? If it does require a human carrier, then to cross a border it needs a human carrier. Yes? No? That would mean the carrier arrives via plane, train, or automobile, unless inhibited from doing so. Perhaps, what I am saying is pure nonsense. If so feel free to explain to me where my logic is faulted.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Q
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No, you are wrong 

The CDC is still open and it has not been closed own 

He has presented the facts relating to Trump firing the Pandemic Response Team,  your comments regarding the CDC are irrelevant to closure of the PRT.

A nice try at a switch but it doesn’t wash.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1