Jump to content

Thailand reports 11 new COVID-19 cases  - and wait until you read how the infections occurred


webfact

Recommended Posts

Thailand reports 11 new COVID-19 cases  - and wait until you read how the infections occurred

 

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Test tube with Corona virus name label is seen in this illustration taken on January 29, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic

 

Thailand has reported 11 new coronavirus infections, bringing the total number of cases reported in the country to 70.

 

The 11 were part of a group of 15 who had been partying together in Thonglor, Bangkok between 27 and 29 Feb. 

 

Health officials said the group became infected after they had been sharing a glass of drink and a cigarette while at the party.

 

One of the group had been in contact with someone from Hong Kong who has since left Thailand, Public Health Ministry Permanent Secretary Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai announced during the daily COVID-19 briefing on Thursday. 

 

Members of the group started to report feeling ill and from 4 March went to hospital complaining of respiratory issues. 

 

Dr Sukhum said those in the group that had not shared the glass and cigarette had not been infected. 

 

Dr Sukhum said that news of the 11 infections should act as an important lesson, advising people to refrain from coming into close contact with friends, especially those who are ill or show flu like symptoms.

 

In the report by Daily News, there were no details as to the exact location in Thonglor where the group had been ‘partying’ for two days.

 

Source: Daily News

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-12
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at a wedding ceremony a few days ago when it came to eat there were no serving spoons everyone just used their own.
Nobody including Cooks wore masks. I did go hungry but survived on liquids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Health officials said the group became infected after they had been sharing a glass of drink and a cigarette while at the party.

Doubt that would be tobacco only in the 'cigarette', unless they were down to the last one in the packet.

 

Regardless, still serves as a warning to be careful what you share.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was interesting to see how the different countries are taking different approaches to tackling this virus.

 

In Korea they are doing mass testing to try and catch the virus at an early stage. I read the other day that a Covid-19 test in Thailand can cost up to 13,000 Baht, so some people avoid being tested. Wouldn't it be a good idea for the government to give a large budget to the health authorities and make testing free for everyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“The Hong Kong tourist came alone and already went back. The 11 infected are all Thai,” said Sopon Iamsirithawon, director-general of the Communicable Diseases Department.

 

Not Indians....  But certainly not the smartest tools in the shed either, given the CV times in which we're living.

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand/thailand-reports-11-new-coronavirus-cases-bringing-total-to-70-idUSKBN20Z0J1

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, petedk said:

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the government to give a large budget to the health authorities and make testing free for everyone?

No then case numbers would sky rocket and cause a lot of panic.The health system is already stretched as it is they will only be able to deal with the most severely affected people.Knowing the numbers doesn't really help just accept that it is here and it's all over the place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read Tom Hanks and his wife infected in Australia.  Some days ago I read, many infected people in Australia came from a trip to Thailand. Wonder, how many infected people are really out there in Thailand and for me Pattaya. What frustrates me most is no disinfection spray to buy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Not Indians....  But certainly not the smartest tools in the shed either, given the CV times in which we're living.

 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand/thailand-reports-11-new-coronavirus-cases-bringing-total-to-70-idUSKBN20Z0J1

 

 

Nobody cares as the government has told them repeatedly over the last month (subconsciously) that Thais can't catch it. It was under 50 for a long time and gave the public a false sense of security. 

This is the first instance since the cabbie that a Thai has caught it inside Thailand.

All the rest have been foreigners or caught from overseas.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NatureFilm said:

Just read Tom Hanks and his wife infected in Australia.  Some days ago I read, many infected people in Australia came from a trip to Thailand. Wonder, how many infected people are really out there in Pattaya.

Plenty of bars/hotels/karaokes etc all over Thailand where bodily fluids are exchanged

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand reports 11 new coronavirus cases, bringing total to 70

 

2020-03-12T040701Z_1_LYNXMPEG2B08P_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-TOURISM.JPG

A street is seen at an empty touristic area, due to fear of coronavirus in Phuket, Thailand March 10, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

 

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 11 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the total number of cases in the Southeast Asian country to 70, health officials said.

 

All of the new patients had socialised and shared drinks, health officials said, adding that a tourist from Hong Kong had been the source of the infection.

 

"The Hong Kong tourist came alone and already went back. The 11 infected are all Thai," said Sopon Iamsirithawon, director-general of the Communicable Diseases Department.

 

It was the biggest jump in cases for weeks in Thailand, which was one of the first countries outside China to report infections of the new COVID-19 virus that has since swept much of the world.

 

(Writing by Kay Johnson; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

In the report by Daily News, there were no details as to the exact location in Thonglor where the group had been ‘partying’ for two days.

They broke down the events with forensic precision to pin the tail on HK

but no one knows where they hung out....yeah, right!

Tis thing is going to go exponential in Pattaya and other mongering zones...watch! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHolmesJr said:

They broke down the events with forensic precision to pin the tail on HK

but no one knows where they hung out....yeah, right!

Tis thing is going to go exponential in Pattaya and other mongering zones...watch! 

 

70 is more like 7000..... at least

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Health officials said the group became infected after they had been sharing a glass of drink and a cigarette while at the party.

 

11 Thais sharing ONE glass and ONE cigarette at a Thong Lor party???

 

I'm trying to conceive just what that would have been all about???   :crying:

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yet the Australian F1 this weekend is going ahead !! 100,000 fans in attendance....

 

Is the rest of the world over reacting or are F1 just trying to limit financial losses by running this race ??

I’m reading a book called The Great Influenza, about the so-called Spanish flu of 1918. In Philadelphia the medical head, a Mr Kruson, gave the go ahead for a Liberty Bonds Parade, to help the war effort, despite being told by expert medics not to. The infection rate soon sky rocketed and thousands died. The same mistakes are being made 100 years later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Dr Sukhum said that news of the 11 infections should act as an important lesson

Not a hope!

 

I'm not Thai bashing but on health and hygene in general, I find Thai people ignore most of the accepted principles.

 

At dinners, I put out serving spoons to try and get relatives/friends to stop using their spoons to share food - waste of time.

 

I often see people prepare food without washing their hands.

 

I tried to educate my stepson as to the dangers of not wearing a seat belt in the back of cars through a very informative Youtube video - he wears one when he's with me but I have to tell him every time, with his family, no chance.

 

I've seen chefs leave the 'sit down' department of public toilets without washing their hands.

 

The list of basic hygene failures goes on and on and I'm sure we've all seen it.

 

If Dr Sukhum thinks Thai people will learn any lesson from this - he is deluded, they just don't believe in hygene and safety.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure I believe this story. I mean there is no where else in the world on top of this than Hong Kong. But perhaps this one “ person “ was somehow somewhere else. Every man , woman and child in Hong Kong wears a mask out. You can buy masks and hand sanitizer everywhere.  I was in Boston last week I could NOT buy a mask anywhere. Even the surgical supply stores told me wholesalers could only sell to Drs and hospitals!! I went to big chain drug stores Nope!  This was 10-12 days ago. It’s crazy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

At dinners, I put out serving spoons to try and get relatives/friends to stop using their spoons to share food - waste of time.

it is a waste of time indeed . you can't protect yourself from this virus.

it is all nonsense of the WHO and idiot doctors who think that the 

world is their laboratory.

you can sanitise busses and streets, you can't wipe out subway railings and

hope it will "kill the virus". those are mostly useless desperate acts. 

this virus will spread around until it disapears. no mask and no quarantine will help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yet the Australian F1 this weekend is going ahead !! 100,000 fans in attendance....

 

Is the rest of the world over reacting or are F1 just trying to limit financial losses by running this race ??

Even the virus can't catch Hamilton!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The "freelancers," not mentioned in the article, some office workers who make some extra money at night must have infected many others.

 

And these people could have given their virus to others and so on...

 

Why can't they be honest?

 

The real numbers must be much higher than the numbers in Italy. 

 

How many Isaan ladies from bars came home with the virus?

 

  Does anybody know that? I doubt it. 

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

it is a waste of time indeed . you can't protect yourself from this virus.

it is all nonsense of the WHO and idiot doctors who think that the 

world is their laboratory.

you can sanitise busses and streets, you can't wipe out subway railings and

hope it will "kill the virus". those are mostly useless desperate acts. 

this virus will spread around until it disapears. no mask and no quarantine will help.

But Trump said just wait and it will be gone.

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Was at a wedding ceremony a few days ago when it came to eat there were no serving spoons everyone just used their own.
Nobody including Cooks wore masks. I did go hungry but survived on liquids.

Very many rural Thais do not use serving spoons. They all dig into the dish with the one spoon that goes in and out of their mouth. Even worse. many will use their spoon to take and put food on your plate!

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yet the Australian F1 this weekend is going ahead !! 100,000 fans in attendance....

 

Is the rest of the world over reacting or are F1 just trying to limit financial losses by running this race ??

Still going ahead in Hanoi in April too, as it stands at the moment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...