SET fall 10% today. Thai stock exchange halt.

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

I dont feel the need to brag or tell other people how to invest. 

I didn´t feel like that either, until you opened your mouth, with advice you definitely do not have a clue about.

Go bother someone that has time with you. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All stock exchanges are taking a pummeling, not just Thailand. I'm just trying to estimate where the bottom is, to start buying. There are good value shares being trashed on fear, and some people will make a motza when the market recovers. Not buying any airline stocks, though.

Can foreigners buy Thai stock in Thailand?

Where do I go to apply?

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Just a normal day in crypto. Could be up 30% the next day. Not for the faint hearted.

In the past 2 years I remember many days of ~20% decline, I don't remember a single one of a ~20% increase .

Of course our TV fellow members always buy at the lowest price, so doesn't matter to them

22 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Just a normal day in crypto. Could be up 30% the next day. Not for the faint hearted.

Yeah also not comparable, a few months of gains wiped out. 

SET on the other hand wiped out 9 YEARS OF GAINS. Oofff. UK100 Index too, back to 2012. 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Yes but in the meantime supply chains are being interrupted, production interupted, and consumption  diminishing, All these things if allowed to linger can create structural economic problems that the end of the virus will not resolve. 

Let's hope there is a solution to the virus soon.  

Let's not forget the stimulus being thrown out there by various governments to help economies gain momentum during this pandemic.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Someone told me they invest in the stock market because it doesn't crash 20% in a day (like bitcoin). It's because it's rigged and they stop trading or their hearth couldn't handle it! 

and how did BTC do today?

so much for the 'ultimate safe haven'

its down 25% as i write this

My estimation of the overall fallout is that it will  be at least 4 months  to get a realistic rather than a reactionary  indication of where the markets will be at. But for any who are invested on credit lines  it is more than possible they are invested in problems ! Dividends will not  be any measure of salvation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Let's not forget the stimulus being thrown out there by various governments to help economies gain momentum during this pandemic.

Stimulus future  funded  by  whom? Momentum? Downhill free fall or the  carrot  on a stick for the donkeys  type of  momentum?

Contrived before  or after there is going to be a shift in the application and control of investment.

"Control" being the  keyword.

The  1% of the 1% are  laughing while they live!

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Can foreigners buy Thai stock in Thailand?

Where do I go to apply?

I used to own some shares of the iShares MSCI Thailand ETF, an indexed ETF of the top 125 stocks on the SET (weighted heavily in Energy, Financials, and Industrials). Bought in the 70s and then averaged down when it dropped into the 60s. Got out in the low 80s and thought I did okay, but then it got up to the high 90s by mid 2018 or thereabouts (about 2 years after I sold it). You can buy it from any (I assume) western broker; trades under THD. (I'm American and have accounts with Charles Schwab.) It's down to about 55 now.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All stock exchanges are taking a pummeling, not just Thailand. I'm just trying to estimate where the bottom is, to start buying. There are good value shares being trashed on fear, and some people will make a motza when the market recovers. Not buying any airline stocks, though.

When the Dow hits 6,000, I might think of buying. This is going to be worse than the Great Depression.

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I pulled out half my portfolio in January into cash. I've taken a belting on the other half, BHP and a couple of the banks. They will come back eventually. IMO the worst thing anyone could do is sell now.

Share prices of PTM, AVJ and BOQ are quite mouthwatering.

Agree, sit and wait it out, I too was fortunate to sell about 150k of shares around that time, however on 20 Feb decided that Bendigo bank looked like a good buy at $10 with the dividend returning around 6%, well I didn't see that one coming, 50k in and it's trading at $6.50 at the close today, ouch. 

I have my eye on Nanosonics (NAN), but its not paying a dividend, could be one to watch for capital gains, now that it has been on the decline, was $7.50 not too long ago, $5.50 at close today. 

45 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

and how did BTC do today?

so much for the 'ultimate safe haven'

its down 25% as i write this

BTC is always volatile, we'll see what recovers faster and more easy....

It was the best performing asset the last decade, these drops are nothing long term.

But he's right, these fake ass circuit breakers, trading only from 9-5, closed on weekend markets....don't seem to help if <deleted> hits the fan ???? ...

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

BTC is always volatile, we'll see what recovers faster and more easy....

It was the best performing asset the last decade, these drops are nothing long term.

Bitcoin will recover and prosper much faster. I think $200,000 in a year or less. I've been in the crypto for a few years and seen it all. A 20% drop/rise in a day is nothing.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

So the underlying force for the strong baht is dropping, why isn't the baht following no

Just about every stock exchange is down worldwide, so following your logic,  the

currencies of these countries would also be down, thereby no discernible change

in the exchange rate.

For disclosure anyone following my financial strategies would be a complete fool!!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Bitcoin will recover and prosper much faster. I think $200,000 in a year or less.

That's also what they said mid December 2017 when it reached 20.000, but 1 month later it was less than half that price.

Has it in the next 26 months ever been higher than 11.000?

But now that is back to 7000, it will increase to 200.000 in less than 12 months.

Do you mind I laugh out loud?

Edit : It's 6000 instead of 7000, I was far too positive lol

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

That's also what they said mid December 2017 when it reached 20.000, but 1 month later it was less than half that price.

Has it in the next 26 months ever been higher than 11.000?

But now that is back to 7000, it will increase to 200.000 in less than 12 months.

Do you mind I laugh out loud?

Do what the **** you want. You obviously don't know the pattern of BTC.

Ever heard of a bear market?

It went from $1,000 to $20,000 in 2017. 

And, yes it was over $13k last year.

Edited by Neeranam

Posted February 3

Shanghai stock market down nearly 9% trading suspended. There is going to be a bloodbath in the global exchanges as everybody heads for the exits. Maybe the bubble economics everywhere is about to spectacularly burst. 

https://apnews.com/fa331df3dd912684fe8ead6f9bedc140

I hate to be right on this one as the prospects for the world are so dire - but as a microbiologist making sense of publically available data I could form the opinion above with some certainty. So why the hell couldn't Trump ?

Edited by URMySunshine

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I didn´t feel like that either, until you opened your mouth, with advice you definitely do not have a clue about.

Go bother someone that has time with you. 

LOL you told not to invest 1 baht and I returned the advice. I did not give any advice before that. I just said that it's funny how they stop all the markets so the boomers don't pee themselves. Btw I invested in the stock market via proxy when I was still a kid and we had to use newspapers to follow the price. 

• Like 1

I have a pretty conservative portfolio here in the USA that yesterday was about 1 Million USD.  Today on paper at closing, it is down $78,000!  Sheesh!  I remember when I first barely had $60,000 total when I got out of the Air Force.   I invest for income and dividends and interest, so this surprised me.  T (ATT stock) really went down so I added another 150 shares just picking my way back in as I love its dividen.   No panic here as I do not need to sell or cash out and actually take the loss.  But to those similar to back in 2008 that were retired or retiring and had to pull money out or panic sold, they lost a lot.

• Like 2